Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default No Guns = No Money NWPA our new facebook page!

After our successful campaign against the no gun signs at Valu Home Centers (which were removed) we have started a facebook page. On which, we will list gun friendly and non gun friendly businesses as well as any contact info we can get for these businesses. Come check us out: http://www.facebook.com/NoGunsNoMoneyNWPA?ref=tn_tnmn

(Erie County)

Default Re: No Guns = No Money NWPA our new facebook page!

That's great, I will definitely check out the page. I will no longer take the kids to chucky cheese or go to buffalo wild wings to watch any games. I still feel many of these places signs are illegal and contemplate carrying anyway. If it isn't printing they will never know anyway and I can still keep my family and friends safe... Your thoughts

(Erie County)

Great idea. There was a project similar to this not too long ago that didn't get far and died off.

I think this can be a very good resource if everyone keeps the list updated.

(Erie County)

Sign carry no legal weight except for that if you are asked to leave and refused they can have you charged with defiant tresspass.

My point is we've ignored these signs too long and if we get groups of people to call or right, we can get these removed. Most of the time theyre only put up for insurance reasons.

Also if we can get people to list places that are gun friendly, we can list them in one place.

This place is also a great resource.
    http://friendorfoe.us/
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by etenp99 View Post
    Sign carry no legal weight except for that if you are asked to leave and refused they can have you charged with defiant tresspass.

My point is we've ignored these signs too long and if we get groups of people to call or right, we can get these removed. Most of the time theyre only put up for insurance reasons.

Also if we can get people to list places that are gun friendly, we can list them in one place.
    I am not a lawyer. This topic comes up pretty often here and a couple other forums I visit. It has been discussed with a few lawyers and law enforcement. While PA does not have a specific "disobeying a no weapons sign" statue you can be charged under the trespassing statue. The way it seems to be interpreted, if you see the sign or know the business does not allow firearms you can be charged for trespassing if found on the property with a firearm. A sign informs you to terms of permissions granted to use the private property of another.

Code:
    18 Pa CS 3505(b) Defiant trespasser.––

(1) A person commits an offense if, knowing that he is

not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in

any place as to which notice against trespass is given by:

(i) actual communication to the actor;

(ii) posting in a manner prescribed by law or

reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders;

I do not support businesses that do not allow me to carry, I will gladly take my business else where.

(Centre County)

My $.02... You should focus on one business at a time instead of listing a bunch out. Concentrate the effort (i.e. letting them know, aiming effort at enlightening others) on one thing at a time and it will be stronger.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by etenp99 View Post

GunLawyer001, a member of the PA bar, has posted several times on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Originally Posted by xxxxxxxx

Also, posted signs hold no legal weight in PA, the management must tell someone specifically that they are not permitted to bring a weapon into the building and ask the person to leave before they can do anything more.

Please stop saying this, it's not necessarily true, no matter how many times it's repeated.

If you carry a gun into a place that is posted against guns, you could arguably be prosecuted under the trespassing statute, for doing something on the property that you have been placed on notice you are without license to do.

Signs have legal weight. The signs in the parking garage that say "not responsible for lost items" have legal weight. Signs are not a legal nullity, and in the absence of case law interpreting the trespassing statute to clearly negate the "no guns" signs, we do a disservice to people by giving them the false sense of confidence that they are free to ignore these signs.

It's true that other states have specific statutes giving weight to these specific signs, and PA does not have such a law. However, that's not the same as saying that there's no operative difference between having a sign and not having a sign. You can't be prosecuted in PA under the "disobeying a no weapons sign" statute because there is none, but we do have a "trespassing" statute. A sign puts you on notice as to the terms of the permission granted to you to use the private property of another. If you go outside those terms of use, you are trespassing.

This is a legal matter, it's a legal conclusion, and you need to have a firm legal basis before telling anyone that it's safe to say "screw you" to a property owner and make him tell you face-to-face what his sign already advised you.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Erie County)

El Canelo's in Erie is gun friendly. spoke to owner tonight.
    live to ride

(Venango County)

Just an off-hand idea...

Many people use GPSes now-a-days. Aren't there Apps for Garmin (and possibly others, I am only familiar with Garmin) to trade lists of Points of Interests? Could someone develop a listing of anti-gun businesses that would note certain businesses by name/location? Could a gathering listing / database be culled from the internet by trusted volunteers/members with verification.

A little work could go a long ways.

Concerned members (pro-gunners) could then download the database. This would make any boycotts much more effective, especially when travelling in strange areas.

Instructions would be needed regarding procedure for various makes and models and how to report places.

Also a section for places to report false reports or change of policy to get off the lists would be needed.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch