Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Hello

(Allegheny County)

Default Hello

Hello:

I am new to the site and wanted to extend a hello to everyone! I reside in Dormont (new to the South Hills) and I am looking to join a club, any recommendations?

Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Hello

Welcome. I'm right around the corner from you, as well as a few others here in the south hills.

What are you looking for in the way of a club (dues/price, ameneties, location, etc)?

(Allegheny County)

Jaseman,

I'm not really sure as I have never belonged to one but am realizing that it may be my best bet to have somewhere to shoot. I do want a place that allows rifles (ARs and the like), indoor and outdoor if possible. Location would be best somewhere near by (going out to Youngwood to shoot can be a pain and only pistols and/or pistol ammo).

(Allegheny County)

There's a few out this way (within reason).

I belong to Library Sportmans Assoc., which is right down 88 about 5 miles past South Park. It's a little pricey, and has some restrictive rules, but has a nice indoor range, and is convienant for me. I can go out, run a few mags through the pistol, and be back home all in 45 min.

Minho Rod & Gun isn't too much further out that direction. Never been there, but the dues/initiation fees are really low.

Dormont-Mt. Lebo is out 19 near Washington Co. And is supposed to be a nice club, but last I checked, membership was closed. They do do a lot of completion shooting from what I understand, so you may be able to check it out that way.

Washington Gun Club (nut sure proper name) is a bit further out 19 somewhere. Don't know anything about it.

Any 'Sportsman's' club is gonna have at least a 100yrd rifle range. Most will have some sort of indoor pistol facility. The biggest thing you'll have to worry about is range rules, and if you can live with them. Some have round limits per mag, some require each member put in a few work days a year, some are stodgy, and so on.

Also, of you're willing to drive into the Pitcairn area (a pain in the ass from the S. Hills) PMRC is considered the place to go in Pgh. The forum has a shoot there a few times a year. If you can make it out there, it's worth checking out.

There are a few more in the South Hills-ish area, though I can't think of their names at the moment.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum. Resident of Dormont as well. I belong to Allegheny Country Rifle Club which is open to new members but the wait list is super long.

(Allegheny County)

Beechview resident here. I belong to PMSC which has been the best club I've ever seen. About 20 minute drive with no traffic.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
    Beechview resident here. I belong to PMSC which has been the best club I've ever seen. About 20 minute drive with no traffic.
    And when is that...