Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default SC to PA transfer

I have been searching the forum for information regarding father-son transfers and haven't found anything pertaining to this specific situation.

An LGS near my father's location (SC) has a handgun for sale considerably cheaper than anything I've been able to find locally. I have asked him to find out if they will do a FFL sale/transfer directly, but if that isn't an option I am wondering if he can buy it and transfer it to me through an FFL.

If this is the case, does he have to have it shipped from a local FFL to my local FFL? or can he ship it directly to my FFL? Is there anything else that I should know about this particular situation?

(York County)

Default Re: SC to PA transfer

Quote Originally Posted by mdezzi View Post
    I have been searching the forum for information regarding father-son transfers and haven't found anything pertaining to this specific situation.

An LGS near my father's location (SC) has a handgun for sale considerably cheaper than anything I've been able to find locally. I have asked him to find out if they will do a FFL sale/transfer directly, but if that isn't an option I am wondering if he can buy it and transfer it to me through an FFL.

If this is the case, does he have to have it shipped from a local FFL to my local FFL? or can he ship it directly to my FFL? Is there anything else that I should know about this particular situation?

For an interstate transfer the father-son aspect is irrelevant, and federal law requires that the handgun be transferred to you at a FFL in your state of residence.

How this transaction gets completed so that you end up owning is going to require the cooperation of at least 2 FFLs. Best bet might be to find an FFL willing to work with you on this, find out what they require. Some FFLs require the handgun be shipped by another FFL, some don't have that requirement.

Once you know what your local FFL requires you can then see if the SC FFL can complete the transaction on their end. Perhaps they will accept payment from you and then ship it directly to your FFL, since they can't ship it to you.

Reading through this thread might help... http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/16...ten-asked.html
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; February 15th, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Chester County)

Default Re: SC to PA transfer

Your father cannot buy the gun for you as your agent from the SC FFL because it would require his falsely certifying he is the actual buyer on the 4473 form (a Federal offense) -- even if he later sends the gun to a Pa FFL for transfer to you. If you provide him funds before of after his purchase then he's a buyer's agent and not the actual buyer.

He can buy the gun as a true gift to you and then send the gun to a Pa FFL for transfer (provided the Pa FFL accepts private shipments).

As Curmudgeon already indicated, the best route would be to engage a Pa FFL and contact the SC FFL to arrange for sending the sales proceeds followed by a direct shipment between the FFLs.
    Last edited by tl_3237; February 16th, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
    IANAL