Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Concealed Carry Question Please Help Me Out If You Can!!!!

Hi Guys,
    I am new to the state of Pennsylvania, And this forum That being said its a great change from New York City.

I would like to purchase and hopefully conceal carry a firearm to protect my wife and son . These day's you never really know what awaits around the corner I would just like to be prepared.

A few of my concerns I would like to address before I go to apply for the permit.I lived in the state on NY and when I was younger I made two really ridiculous mistakes I was arrested two times......

Once when I was 16 for a possession of marijuana which I received an acd
    stayed out of trouble and it was sealed and dismissed

Second incident when I was 18 I was riding along side a H.s Football teammate and he was carrying a little bit of the marijuana and got pulled over for taillights the Police officers were just doing there jobs , searched him and the car and booked both of us for a gram of marijuana and we were arrested for misdemeanor of the lowest degree in NYC.....we then went to trial and Judge didnt want to listen to me since of the juvenile case I previously had. But the judge lowered the marijuana charge to a disorderly conduct violation .In NYC a violation is not a crime so i was only CONVICTED with the following : (1) Marijuana acd at 16 years (dismissed and sealed and maybe still show up on police background check) and (2) a disorderly conduct violation at 18 I am now 25 since been out of trouble got married have a son got my radiation therapy degree and live a productive life, looking to get into Law Enforcement

So all in all should I bother to apply or should I just quit while im at it instead of being turned down I would really appreciate the help

*** the p.a ccw form only ask's for convictions not for arrests and so far was not convicted of any CRIME

GOD BLESS

(York County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry Question Please Help Me Out If You Can!!!!

First, I Am Not A Lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

That out of the way, because your background check for a PA LTCF will be conducted in PA by folks mostly familiar with PA laws, courts, and criminal justice system, what happened in New York might not translate real well, you could be delayed while they try to figure it out, and you could also be denied.

You might want to get a copy of your record from New York state to verify that your record actually states things the same way you remember them.

The safest way to proceed might just be to have an attorney look over your record and advise you on how to proceed. You are going to want to answer the questions on that application truthfully.

Based strictly on what you write here it sounds like you are in good shape, but an "OK" from an attorney would be worth a couple dollars.

There is a member here who is an attorney and specializes in helping good folks keep or regain their 2A rights, send him a PM.

Gunlawyer001... http://forum.pafoa.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=1125
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    First, I Am Not A Lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

That out of the way, because your background check for a PA LTCF will be conducted in PA by folks mostly familiar with PA laws, courts, and criminal justice system, what happened in New York might not translate real well, you could be delayed while they try to figure it out, and you could also be denied.

You might want to get a copy of your record from New York state to verify that your record actually states things the same way you remember them.

The safest way to proceed might just be to have an attorney look over your record and advise you on how to proceed. You are going to want to answer the questions on that application truthfully.

Based strictly on what you write here it sounds like you are in good shape, but an "OK" from an attorney would be worth a couple dollars.

There is a member here who is an attorney and specializes in helping good folks keep or regain their 2A rights, send him a PM.

Gunlawyer001... http://forum.pafoa.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=1125
    ^ This. From what you said, you should be ok, but maybe not. I would also suggest getting a lawyer. Gunlawyer certainly knows his stuff and has experience in helping people with obtaining/clearing expungements, pardons, PICS denials, LTCF denials, etc.

(Pike County)

I can only speak from my experience. I had a couple arrests for marijuana in NJ when I lived there in my younger days Last arrest was in 1993 by the NJ State police. No jail time, just smalll amount crap. I had no problem obtaining a LTCF in Pa.

(Lehigh County)

I Thank you all who took out time to reply , I feel much more confident about my overall situation . I will be referring to a lawyer but will need to get my records from NYC so that I may show the lawyer .

I will let you all know how it turns out asap .
    Take care and thanks once again

(Northampton County)

So, got any weed?

Just kidding

Good luck. I don't know the answer but I think you might have a shot based on the second offense sounding like a summary offense/ticket/etc. I would definitely check with a lawyer that knows this stuff.