Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Remington 710 vs. 700

So a while back I purchased a Remington 710...it was a good deal and seemed to be a descent gun. I have since learned about the popularity and the following that goes with the 700. Is there a huge differance? If so what is it?? Would it be worth the effort to sell the 710 and buy a 700? Thanks for the advice!!

Default Re: Remington 710 vs. 700

I don't mean to burst your bubble, or be a jerk, but I'm gonna be honest with you. The Remington 710 and 770 are both a far cry from the Remington 700. I have not pulled a Remington 710 from the stock, but I can tell you some differences. There are some noticeable differences in the smoothness of the action and just overall finish of the rifle. Many people like the Detachable Magazine that the 710's come with, but it's a bit flimsy and the plastic magazines aren't gonna hold up to much abuse. I found that when I gripped the stock firmly beside the DM, I could actually make it flex some. The 710 also doesn't have any bottom metal. If you intend to leave the rifle as is, then it's not a big deal. If you ever intend to try to use the action to build something else off of it, you'd have to buy bottom metal. You might end up with better bottom metal, but you'd still end up spending as much as you would have for a new Remington 700 and still have a 710 action. As I said I haven't taken a 710 apart, but I know even externally the safety on the 710 seems lot more flimsy and not as secure as the 700. Internally they are probably a bit different as well, but I can't verify this for a fact. I would say that whether or not you would want to keep this rifle would depend on several things. What are your plans and use for this rifle? Do you ever intend on customizing it for the future?

If you don't want a rifle that has to be an exact tack driver, and you don't plan on customizing the rifle, it will probably do what you want it to. If you would like to customize it in the future and change it up, it'll be hard to find parts for it. You'll end up spending quite a bit more on gunsmith fees to get things to fit it. In the end you would have just been better off purchasing a remington 700 after all those fees and the headache. Most used Remington 700's are great rifles, and you can change up and customize the rifle. I'm sure this probably isn't the news you wanted to hear, but that's my honest opinion. They're not a terrible rifle, but they are definately not a Remington 700. Best of luck to ya.

P.S. just in case you didn't use the search function, there is another thread on the 710's here http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rifles-42...ns-page-2.html .

(Cumberland County)

That is kinda what I have found on my own research, I figured there a was huge differance, I just wanted to know what the actual differances are. I have already pretty much made up my mind on selling the 710 and getting a 700....thanks for the info!!

I'm sure there are probably some pretty big differences internally. I haven't had the chance to take one apart so I don't know all the specifics. I just mentioned the ones that I knew for a fact, and the parts about the aftermarket parts. I'm glad that the info could help. I believe that you will be pleased with the Remington 700. If you're on a tighter budget and can't get a new Remignton 700, you can look at used Remingtons if you like that action. I'm partial to remingtons, but you can also also look at savage's, the action isn't as smooth as the Remington 700's, but they have an adjustable trigger and they're good shooters.

(Northumberland County)

Stevens 200, 110 Savags, by FAR more quality than the 710 or 770 at about the same price.