Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default AK Barrel Threading

Looking to have an AK barrel turned down and threaded with a 1/2x28 thread pattern.

Is it possible to do this with the barrel still attached to the reciever?
    If so let me know if you know anyone who could do the task for a reasonable price.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: AK Barrel Threading

its posiible not to take it off if you use a four jaw chuck , but either way you're gonna pay $ for that job. let us know what you come up with! i have a machine shop fyi

(Montgomery County)

Since you have a machine shop, mind throwing out some ideas and estimated costs, so I can weigh my options.

(Monroe County)

You need to take the barrel off, some come off easy, some hard which could cost $20 - $50 roughly. To indicate and thread on a lathe so its done properly, $60 - $90 is what you will find to be normal. The variants in prices are due to sooo many AK variants.
    Hope this helps some

(Pike County)

You don't need to take the barrel off. I repeat, you do NOT have to take the barrel off. That's just bad advice. Most AK barrels are pressed into the trunnion and are a real bitch to get out. Trying to do that and you may end up warping the receiver unless you remove the rivets and the trunnion itself. What is the barrel OD? If it's within a reasonable range like .495-.510" or thereabouts, you don't need to turn the muzzle end down. If it's .520-.580" then you could go with a 14x1LH thread. If you're set on using a muzzle device that's threaded for 1/2x28, you could use an adapter.

Doing it yourself isn't particularly difficult although care does have to be taken when cutting the first couple of threads. You have to remember to remove the TAT once the first couple of threads are cut. You don't want to keep turning the die and bottom out on the TAT and end up ruining the starter threads on your barrel.

Anyway, there's many videos on Youtube that show how it's done. Here's one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q9vZYl49yw

Also, depending on how much barrel you have sticking out past the FSB, then you may have to remove the FSB. If you've got at least .6" then you you should be fine without having to remove anything from the barrel or rifle. Just stick the barrel or receiver in a vise and work slowly with the thread kit and you should be done in about 30 minutes.

If you want to do it yourself, get a 1/2x28 (or 14x1LH) die, handle and TAT. CNC Warrior has kits for under $60 which also include the cutting fluid.
    http://www.cncwarrior.com/
    Last edited by amstel78; February 16th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(Monroe County)

amstel78, I understand what you're saying, however if you've seen the amount of work I've done repairing mistakes over the years from guys improperly useing taps and especialy dies, you'll understand why I said to take the barrel off. Either way tho, nice reply and I wish him the best in his endevour.
    You know the saying - "theres more than one way to skin a cat"

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by blottermachine View Post
    amstel78, I understand what you're saying, however if you've seen the amount of work I've done repairing mistakes over the years from guys improperly useing taps and especialy dies, you'll understand why I said to take the barrel off. Either way tho, nice reply and I wish him the best in his endevour.
    You know the saying - "theres more than one way to skin a cat"
    I see where you're coming from as well, and I'm sure there have been cases where the barrel would have to be removed in order to do the job right. I can imagine that being a requirement if the barrel did have to be turned down before threading.

OTOH, almost every AK/AKM I've seen has a barrel with an OD a tad over 14mm. The few exceptions have been VEPRs and SAIGAs and perhaps some guns with US barrels. VEPRs tend to have bull barrels but fortunately MOLOT stepped them down to 14mm after the FSB.

Anyway, I'd hate to see the OP get the wrong impression and believe that removing the barrel was an absolute requirement in order to thread the muzzle. As long as his barrel's OD is within the measurements I provided, he should be GTG threading it himself with a kit, a good bench vise and patience. Measure 3 times, cut once, and go slow. Most of the screw ups I've seen with threaded AK barrels was the result of the TAT not being removed before bottoming out, thus stripping the starter threads.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(Montgomery County)

Yeah, I tossed around the 14x1LH idea, but I wanted to get a little bit of a shoulder with the 1/2x28, plus having the threading concentric with the bore, so I could suppress later down the road.

(Lehigh County)

If you want it done by a pro, I recommend Percision Armaments, near Slatington. Charlie is great to work with and very knowlagable about the AK platform. He has help me out of a jam a time or 2. He is a master machinest. Just throwing another option out to you.

P.S. While you are there, take a quick ride down the road to Boyers Hardware, you'll be suprised at what you can find there.