Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Buying first handgun

Alrighty, so for me Saturday the 23rd is the day many young shooters anticipate, the day I turn 21 and can get my first pistol! Now that being said, I just want to make sure ahead of time I'm not missing anything, because when I lived in NY I know to get a handgun required a ton of paper work and it was like a 6 month process.

So, what should I expect when buying it, is it's like any other firearm pretty much in PA? 4473 and Background check? Or do I have to provide anything crazy like in NY? Thanks!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Buying first handgun

All you need is your drivers license and a clean background. Happy Birthday.
    Now the hard part will be finding something in stock that you like & ammo for it.

Be safe.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Montgomery County)

Another escapee, nice. It's easy to buy a handgun here. As long as you're not a "prohibited" person, you simply walk in fill out a few forms, and walk out with your new gun. I'll let others go into greater detail, since it's Friday and I'm feeling lazy.

Since your question doesn't really fit into this section of the forum, I will ask you what handgun you are planning on buying, and why. How much do you know about guns? Have you shot much before? If not, a basic training course would be good. Have fun, and good luck.
    Last edited by 625; February 15th, 2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(York County)

You just fill out the 2 forms, show your ID, then wait on the instant background check and youll be on your way. When i was buying my CZ last weekend, one guy was waiting on his background check for about half an hour, while mine went through in well under 5.

Matter of fact, i spent way more time waiting for my number to be called than i did actually filling out forms and waiting for background checks.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Now the hard part will be finding something in stock that you like & ammo for it.

Be safe.
    That's kinda what I thought, as well. Sounds like it's rough up there finding stuff.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Another escapee, nice. It's easy to buy a handgun here. As long as you're not a "prohibited" person, you simply walk in fill out a few forms, and walk out with your new gun. I'll let others go into greater detail, since it's Friday and I'm feeling lazy.

Since your question doesn't really fit into this section of the forum, I will ask you what handgun you are planning on buying, and why. How much do you know about guns? Have you shot much before? If not, a basic training course would be good. Have fun, and good luck.

Was looking for a gun that I could go have fun at the range with, as well as become my CCW when I do get my LTCF. Likely gonna try to find a Beretta Px4, Glock 19 (I know, impossible!), or even a M&P, in 9mm. I'm not really a fan of .45, or .40, so 9mm is the caliber I settled at. Plus it's cheaper for plinking. The nice part about the Glock is I trained on it, so that would be the ideal gun, but I'll settle for something else given the current market..

(Delaware County)

I have seen plenty of PX4's in stock, but no G19's anywhere

Edit I see your in bucks county the furthest north I have gone lately has been French creek outfitters today, and they had at least 3 px4's in stock.

(Lancaster County)

I turned 21 in October. Deciding which handgun I wanted was a really hard decision. I knew i wanted something hammer fired and in 9mm. The PX4 was one of my top choices, but I ended up with an FNX9 instead. I had planned on getting a G26 down the road for CC, but then all this political drama happened and the prices went up so I have yet to get one. Good Luck with your choice!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gold-Leader View Post
    I turned 21 in October. Deciding which handgun I wanted was a really hard decision. I knew i wanted something hammer fired and in 9mm. The PX4 was one of my top choices, but I ended up with an FNX9 instead. I had planned on getting a G26 down the road for CC, but then all this political drama happened and the prices went up so I have yet to get one. Good Luck with your choice!
    Yeah, I mean I'm hoping I get lucky and Surplus City has a Police Trade-in sitting there. I might even see if I can leave a deposit like today or tomorrow at a shop if I see one, and come back and buy it next week.

(York County)

If your getting a 9mm you better start hunting walmarts and gunshops now. Ive been looking for ammo since last weekend when i bought my 9, going to and calling walmart and gun shops everyday and no one has had any 9mm ammo at all. The only way ive been able to find a box is to put a wanted ad in the classified section here. Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast