Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Maverick 88 quality.

Looking for a load it and leave it 12 gage. My brother has a Maverick 88, they're cheap and I can pick up a used one for under $200. Wondering what people thought of them? Why shouldn't I get one?

Default Re: Maverick 88 quality.

A gunstore clerk (take this with a grain of salt) told me that the Maverick shotguns are made of a zinc/steel mix to reduce cost, but that they're just as durable as the all steel Mossbergs.

I disagree with the durability portion above (think he said it because he was trying to make a sale) because the GSG 1911s chambered in .22LR have had problems with slides and frames cracking because they are made out of a zinc/steel mix.

Remember, zinc/steel mixtures are also known as potmetal. Do you want a gun made of potmetal?

When it comes to guns, I like em steel or polymer, but not potmetal.

Also, new Maverick 88s go for about $150.00-$250.00, so $200.00 for a used one is asking a little too much considering the new price and quality.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Breadcrumbed; February 15th, 2013 at 03:36 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I doubt anyone is selling them new for $150.

As a point of reference, Buds had them for $240.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy00 View Post
    Looking for a load it and leave it 12 gage. My brother has a Maverick 88, they're cheap and I can pick up a used one for under $200. Wondering what people thought of them? Why shouldn't I get one?
    I don't know what they're made of, but I see a ton of them in the field. The owners appear to be satisfied with them.

I have 4 of them that we used for my kids and their friends that did not have guns for skeet shooting. It's amazing how learning to shoot skeet will brighten up a kid's day, BTW. Anyway, after being tossed around, dropped, and mishandled by a bunch of beginners, they all still work well. The 88 is one of the best gun values going, today, and yes, they stay loaded, ready to go. Remember that WM sells these new for under $200, as well as the H&R for under $200, if you like a SG that weighs the same as a dump truck. New/used, regardless; this gun will never be much less than $200.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I have 4 of them that we used for my kids and their friends that did not have guns for skeet shooting. It's amazing how learning to shoot skeet will brighten up a kid's day, BTW. Anyway, after being tossed around, dropped, and mishandled by a bunch of beginners, they all still work well. The 88 is one of the best gun values going, today, and yes, they stay loaded, ready to go. Remember that WM sells these new for under $200, as well as the H&R for under $200, if you like a SG that weighs the same as a dump truck. New/used, regardless; this gun will never be much less than $200.
    ^What he said. My local Walmart carries it for $179; same price as the H&R Pardner.

I also vastly prefer (and would recommend) the 88's aluminum reciever and lighter construction to the H&R's all steel unless:
    Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    you like a SG that weighs the same as a dump truck.

They are probably the lowest grade/quality shotgun I would consider if I was looking for a beater. Don't pay more than $150. Shop around for a used Rem 870 or Mossburg 590.

(York County)

I have a 590. The one I'm looking at has a folding stock so it's really short.

(Washington County)

I picked up a new one at Dicks' a couple of weeks ago. It was actually a tough find. $235 out the door. I didn't strip it down totally but it seems OK. It's a nice backup but lots of cheap plastic. Save up for a Mossberg.

(Allegheny County)

I'm curious. I've seen both... what constitutes "lots" in regards to the "cheap plastic"? (that is found on both the Maverick AND the Mossberg)

How much more plastic does the Maverick have than the Mossberg?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast