Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default New to handguns, 9mm carry suggestions

I'm looking for suggestions on a 9mm DA/SA for cc. I've looked at a few Sig Sauers that I like, but I'm kind of feeling overloaded with all the new info. There are a few other manufacturers I'd like to look at, but the P229 I handled felt good, but then again, I'm not sure what I should look for in terms of a comfortable gun. I also assume that some of the feel will come from shooting it not just handling it in the store.

Also, I have questions about carrying. I'm thin and wear fairly close-fitting cloths, and I'm not sure where to begin with holsters. I would not even worry about carrying until I had a gun and practiced with it, but I'm concerned about the size. I want something large enough for me to comfortably handle without being to uncomfortable to carry or hard to conceal.

While I'm typing, does anyone know of a range in the Chambersburg-Gettysburg-Harrisburg area that rents and teaches basic safety/handling/use? I've shot my uncle's rifle and my dad's b/o shotgun, but I'm nowhere near proficient with guns yet.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: New to handguns, 9mm carry suggestions

Oops. I meant to post in the concealed & open carry section.

(Pike County)

I have no idea what your budget is. But I have a SCCY CPX-1 9mm. I've put close to 800 rounds through it without an issue. It's nothing fancy or hi profile like a Glock. But it does the job I need it to and it was within my budget.

(Bucks County)

The p229 is a pretty chunky gun for everyday concealed carry, especially if you're a thin person. You might want to think twice about that. I'm not saying it's a no-go -- many people have no trouble carrying big pistols -- but many people don't like it (myself included).

Some good options for a smaller carry 9mm:

Kahr (CM9/PM9, P9/CW9)
    Ruger LC9
    Springfield XD9sc
    Glock 26

None of those are SA/DA, but I personally wouldn't get hung up on that preference unless you have a specific reason for it.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

Quote Originally Posted by WillD View Post

does anyone know of a range rents and teaches basic safety/handling/use? I've shot my uncle's rifle and my dad's b/o shotgun, but I'm nowhere near proficient with guns yet.
    Way to man up and ask for some training info.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lancaster County)

walther pps 9mm.... barly can feel it with IWB holster.

Your going to have to decide on what fits you best but here are some things to consider. Try to stick with barrels 3.5 to 4 inches for a half decent sight radius. Smaller pistols are MUCH harder to learn to shoot well. Stay away from ultra light weight pistols under 20 oz. Weight in a carry pistol under 30 oz. helps with control but makes it still comfortable to carry. Last try to get a pistol that can have the sights swapped out for a variety of types. Being comfortable with your sight picture will greatly improve your shooting.

(Butler County)

Is there a reason why you are ruling out striker fired weapons? There are plenty of compact and ultra compact 9mm striker fired pistols out there that can be concealed and will probably cost less then most DA/SA pistols.

I would definitely try and handle and or shoot some different pistols before buying one. I originally bought a Kahr CW9 for concealed carry, and even though it's a fine gun, I don't carry it anymore because of how much more a Glock 19 can hold in a marginally larger package. So at this point I spent $350 or so on the Kahr that I wouldn't have bought if I had shot and compared the size of the Glock first.

As far as holsters. I've been happy with my Foxx hybrid holster. It's very close to a Crossbreed Supertuck but about half the price.

http://foxxholsters.onlybusiness.com...ters-list.aspx

You will get as many opinions on this as there are 9mm guns. I've got both a lc9 and a Springfield 9mm xdsc for CC. Honestly the Springfield just sits in the safe because I am happy with the lc9. They are both 9mm, the Springfield holds 13 and the lc9 holds 7+1.

The lc9 is smaller (thinner), more concealable and comfortable to me. It does not print and meets my comfort level. I feel comfortable carrying It and it is a good gun for me, but others have their own reasons to like it or dislike it.

If you can, get to a range that rents 9mm's and try out a few different types to find out what you like. I also have to give you credit for taking the responsibility to become proficient with guns. The more you learn, the safer you will be.

Good luck.

(Berks County)

Yep plethora of options out there....I prefer DA/SA over striker fired ...so does my wife. Everything I carry is .40 cal but we just got a new carry gun for my wife.

After much deliberation she decided on a Beretta Px4 Storm Compact 9mm. So far no complaints she liked the ease of racking the slide , the fit in her hand and the ambi safety.

We had looked at the Walther PK380 but the she liked the Beretta platform much better and the 9mm is superior to the .380 ballistic wise. Plus the Beretta is 15+1 vs the 8+1 of the Walther.

Attached pic .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast