Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Leaving a firearm in a vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i think leaving a firearm in a vehicle unattended is just about one of the most irresponsible things a gun owner can do.
    If it's not illegal to do so, why do you feel it's irresponsible? You're more likely to have your gun stolen from your home than a car. The statistics show a 3.5 to 1 ratio from 2005-2010. Now it would be irresponsible to leave a gun in plain view and/or not secure vehicle access.

Stats can be found here: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub...shbopc0510.pdf

You'd be surprised how many gun owners across the US leave a firearm in their vehicle either occasionally or all the time.
    Last edited by Hawk; February 14th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Toujours pręt

(Chester County)

i think leaving a firearm in a vehicle unattended is just about one of the most irresponsible things a gun owner can do.
    Normally I would agree but some of us cant bring a gun into work

(Chester County)

I think that if you have a strong enough gun safe in your car and you live in a decent neighborhood as long as its unloaded it should be fine.

(Allegheny County)

Just remember "Locks Only Keep Honest People Out". I'm not saying not to get a car safe, what I'm saying is if someone wants in, they'll find a way. You just need to purchase the best safe you can afford and securely mount it. At that point, you have done your best to prevent theft, it may still happen.

Not a car safe but it shows my point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-2ql9gOWzw

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygunguy View Post
    Normally I would agree but some of us cant bring a gun into work
    +1 I can't carry at work either but I also drive 45 minutes to get their and work over night so I always have my EDC on me. I have a center console in my truck that locks and thats where I keep it. Their is also cameras and security around the parking lot at work so I don't really see this as irresponsible behavior. I would keep it on me if I could but really would not want to risk my job especially the way things are now.

(Northumberland County)

I found a nice cubby hole where i can put my stuff when im not in the truck...least it'll be outta easy access and no one would think to look there.

arm rest hidden compartment.

i think leaving a firearm in a vehicle unattended is just about one of the most irresponsible things a gun owner can do.. . . .
    Well, we live in a society where murderers, rapists, serial muggers, and kidnappers are routinely released back into society despite the fact that nobody even pretends that they no longer pose a threat. We release them because the time elapsed, not because the danger has passed. It would be like the fire department shutting down the hoses and going home after fighting a house fire for 15 minutes, instead of after the flames are gone.

So keeping a firearm in a locked vehicle, out of sight, pales by comparison. There are still places where rifles sitting in pickup truck gun racks are a common sight.

Society is not safe, but the patchwork of rules forces us to go places where guns are not welcome.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(York County)

I found a place up under the dash of my car where my gun can be stashed when I need to leave it in the car. If someone breaks in, the glove box and console are going to be where they look first. If they're locked, most likely they'll just pry them open. They won't be searching under the dash most likely, theives want to be in and out as fast as possible. I actually was broken into once and they didn't find it. My .45 in it's holster is too big to fit there so I put it in the trunk and have the trunk release in the car locked so you need the key to get into the trunk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12