Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Cleaning/lubing a polymer pistol

Since we just bought the wife a new Sig Mosquito, anything specific I need to know about cleaning/lubing it for her first range trip?

Is it OK to use Hoppes #9 on the plastic frame (it's all I have at the moment)?
    Will it discolor or erode the polymer (yes, it's pink...LOL)?

It's the first firearm I've ever owned that wasn't all metal. Anything specific I need to know to keep the Tupperware nice for her? It's the first firearm I've ever owned that wasn't all metal.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Cleaning/lubing a polymer pistol

I've used hoppes oil and CLP on my Glock, although it's not a pretty color. But it doesn't seem like its ever hurt anything.

Did your mosquito come with a tube of grease? When I bought my Sig it came with small tube of grease that Sig recommends that you use on their pistols.

This is where you can buy lube Sig recommends:
    http://www.nraguncare.com/tw25b/tw25...g-light-grease
    Last edited by SigSauer226; February 12th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigSauer226 View Post
    I've used hoppes oil and CLP on my Glock, although it's not a pretty color. But it doesn't seem like its ever hurt anything.

Did your mosquito come with a tube of grease? When I bought my Sig it came with small tube of grease that Sig recommends that you use on their pistols.

This is where you can buy lube Sig recommends:
    http://www.nraguncare.com/tw25b/tw25...g-light-grease
    I'll have to look to see if her Sig (she'll make sure to remind everyone that it's hers LOL) came with a tube. Seem to remember a tube of something in the case when I was checking it out last night, but was more interested in learning how to break it down, swap out the spring, etc... Plus, I was too busy playing with my new Taurus.

(Bucks County)

just clean and oil like any other handgun...

(Northampton County)

Few years back, my wife purchased a Beretta Neos with pink grips. The grips would always get some CLP on them while cleaning and were almost impossible to clean. I found that after cleaning, I just wipe the grips with some simple green on a paper towel. They look factory fresh until the next range trip.

Smit

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

Directly from Sig: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...nk-finish.aspx

I didn't know if the pink was infused or coated. According to their link, it is a coating. That is all you needed to know. Bore cleaners are not tame when it comes to coatings. Leave bore cleaner on Cerokote long enough, and it will soften it. Paint is paint is paint...clean it with soap and water. Keep the solvents off. If you manage to get the coating even a tad soft and there is a grimy film on it, it can infuse and you'll have a permanent grime mark.

I have a number of painted guns, mostly 1911's. If I use a solvent anywhere, it is mineral spirits. It is strong enough to break down the grease, yet too weak to soften anything with an 'activator' (a separate hardener mixed with the paint that cures it without heat) such as epoxy or automotive enamels (and the pink on your new Sig). All of these super hard paints, once cured, will still come off with the right chemical. Bore cleaner is one of them if you leave it there long enough.
    Last edited by harold63; February 12th, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    just clean and oil like any other handgun...
    I'm with you on that advice. Internals are the same regardless of exterior . love your tag line !!

I used Hoppes #9 on my S.A. XDm 9mm for a year or so with no issues. I used it on my Kel-Tec PF9 with no issues and I used it on a Ruger SR9C without issue as well.

I use Rem Oil on all my firearms and it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeofficer View Post
    I'm with you on that advice. Internals are the same regardless of exterior
    Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    I used Hoppes #9 on my S.A. XDm 9mm for a year or so with no issues. I used it on my Kel-Tec PF9 with no issues and I used it on a Ruger SR9C without issue as well.
    You guys use Hoppes on your painted guns if you want to. It will soften the paint after time. It will cause holster wear to speed up. It is also recommended by Sig to not get bore cleaner on the pink paint.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Directly from Sig: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...nk-finish.aspx

I didn't know if the pink was infused or coated. According to their link, it is a coating. That is all you needed to know. Bore cleaners are not tame when it comes to coatings. Leave bore cleaner on Cerokote long enough, and it will soften it. Paint is paint is paint...clean it with soap and water. Keep the solvents off. If you manage to get the coating even a tad soft and there is a grimy film on it, it can infuse and you'll have a permanent grime mark.

I have a number of painted guns, mostly 1911's. If I use a solvent anywhere, it is mineral spirits. It is strong enough to break down the grease, yet too weak to soften anything with an 'activator' (a separate hardener mixed with the paint that cures it without heat) such as epoxy or automotive enamels (and the pink on your new Sig). All of these super hard paints, once cured, will still come off with the right chemical. Bore cleaner is one of them if you leave it there long enough.
    +1
    I'm glad I read this, because I've been thinking about Cerakoting a couple of guns and thought they'd be just short of bullet proof. Good to know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast