Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss K31

Default Swiss K31

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while and don't know much about them. I know the ammo is pricier than other milsurps but not a big thing. Is the rifle everything I hear about it? How strong is it for the long haul? I may take it hunting so a good bore is a must, I don't care about the stock condition but I see some for sale with cracked stocks what's that about? Any info is welcome.

Default Re: Swiss K31

Its easy to work the action with gloves on.

And I was once told if not properly assembled the bolt can come out upon firing... I don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

But they're definitely a neat rifle. A co worker said he had one years ago and it was very accurate and more that adequate for hunting here in PA.

(Centre County)

In the current climate, the ammo is actually a decent deal, around 50-cents a round for the GP-11 milsurp. The milsurp stuff is match-grade fmj, and really pretty.
    Prvi makes good soft-point for hunting, and it's boxer primed if you're into reloading. It's about 75 cents a round.

The metal is generally perfect, but the stocks get beat up from the troops standing them up in the snow.
    Virtually all of these guns will have pristine bores and will shoot inside of 4" at 200yds with iron sights and sand bags.

I own three, and *may* be willing to part with one, but I'm not shipping or driving.

The K31 is probably the best deal in surplus right now. They are all tack drivers and would make a great hunting rifle. They can take as much abuse as any bolt action and remember that they were made to withstand the elements during their military service.

99% of Swiss rifles (K31, 1911, 1911 carbine, etc.) have outstanding bores.

Places like classic arms and samco still have them in stock.

I'm going to scope mine. From what i hear, 6ooyrds is a walk in the park with one of those.

Super sweet shooter, recoil is very soft.

(Luzerne County)

My K31 and 1903A3 are tied for being the most accurate milsurp rifles I own.

This is my deer load I worked up for my K31, fired at 100 yards with open sights. Ignore the called, high flyer. I believe these are 165gr SP loaded with IMR-4350.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    In the current climate, the ammo is actually a decent deal, around 50-cents a round for the GP-11 milsurp. The milsurp stuff is match-grade fmj, and really pretty.
    Prvi makes good soft-point for hunting, and it's boxer primed if you're into reloading. It's about 75 cents a round.

The metal is generally perfect, but the stocks get beat up from the troops standing them up in the snow.
    Virtually all of these guns will have pristine bores and will shoot inside of 4" at 200yds with iron sights and sand bags.

I own three, and *may* be willing to part with one, but I'm not shipping or driving.
    I will be in juniana county this sunday

(Chester County)

Klutch,

Snag a K31 while you can. They are fantastically made, accurate and tough rifles. The machining is unbelievable, just beautiful.

Accuracy wise they are fantastic. i have reloaded for mine with 168 HPBTM bullets and I can hit clay birds at 200 yards routinely (benched).

As a few have commented here, most have pristine bores as they were not used with corrosive ammo and were obviously really well taken care of.

I've heard the beat stocks were from the spikes on crampons the Swiss soldiers wore- maybe just a story but I like it!

If you plan to hand load you need to get the OAL right. The K31's have really small / short freebore. Just google reloading for K31 and you'll find what you need.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    My K31 and 1903A3 are tied for being the most accurate milsurp rifles I own.

This is my deer load I worked up for my K31, fired at 100 yards with open sights. Ignore the called, high flyer. I believe these are 165gr SP loaded with IMR-4350.

Do you have the owners name tag? Usually comes with the gun(under butt plate) when you buy them from a 03 dealer.
    K31's are seriously accurate. I cant wait to get mine scoped. My M1A is out to 600yrds with golden bear, i'm quite sure the k31 will out perform it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    Klutch,

Snag a K31 while you can. They are fantastically made, accurate and tough rifles. The machining is unbelievable, just beautiful.

Accuracy wise they are fantastic. i have reloaded for mine with 168 HPBTM bullets and I can hit clay birds at 200 yards routinely (benched).

As a few have commented here, most have pristine bores as they were not used with corrosive ammo and were obviously really well taken care of.

I've heard the beat stocks were from the spikes on crampons the Swiss soldiers wore- maybe just a story but I like it!

If you plan to hand load you need to get the OAL right. The K31's have really small / short freebore. Just google reloading for K31 and you'll find what you need.

JD
    What I've read is that the stocks got beat up during marching drills when they would swing the rifles around and hit their boots with them or hit them with their boots.

I picked one up a few months ago and they are beautiful rifles. I also have a whole unopened case of GP11 for it. I have yet to have the time to go shoot it though. Eventually I'd like to reload for it but that's probably a long way off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast