Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default NJ/PA Residency Legal Question

Hello!

First off, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section. I went through the forum listing and didn't know where it would fit best.

Here is my situation. I'm currently a NJ resident. I plan on moving to a family members house in PA this month. I will still work in New Jersey and will probably be staying there on weekdays.

Once I change my address to PA I want to purchase a handgun and maybe an assault rifle. I go shooting a lot in New Jersey and always rent guns at the ranges and would like to own my own.

If I have a PA registered handgun and rifle will I be able to have them at my place in New Jersey while I'm there during the week? Also will I be able to transport them across the boarder between PA/NJ residencies?

Thanks for your help in advance.

(Chester County)

Default Re: NJ/PA Residency Legal Question

Quote Originally Posted by wwwdev View Post
    Hello!

First off, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section. I went through the forum listing and didn't know where it would fit best.

Here is my situation. I'm currently a NJ resident. I plan on moving to a family members house in PA this month. I will still work in New Jersey and will probably be staying there on weekdays.

Once I change my address to PA I want to purchase a handgun and maybe an assault rifle. I go shooting a lot in New Jersey and always rent guns at the ranges and would like to own my own.

If I have a PA registered handgun and rifle will I be able to have them at my place in New Jersey while I'm there during the week? Also will I be able to transport them across the boarder between PA/NJ residencies?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    If the 'assault rifle' is not NJ legal you cannot possess it in NJ without proper NJ licensure regardless of your state of residence.

NJ statues do not provide for transportation between residences except when moving. As such you would have issues with transporting between your NJ and Pa residences while in NJ except, if you have an NJFID card, you can transport longarms between your two residences.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    If the 'assault rifle' is not NJ legal you cannot possess it in NJ without proper NJ licensure regardless of your state of residence.

NJ statues do not provide for transportation between residences except when moving. As such you would have issues with transporting between your NJ and PA residences while in NJ except, if you have an NJFID card, you can transport longarms between your two residences.
    Thanks for the quick reply. What if the firearms were legal in NJ? Would I be able to possess them in NJ if I had them legally held in my trunk locked without ammo? Also, what if they weren't long arms and just a handgun that was also legal in NJ?

(Chester County)

Thanks for the quick reply. What if the firearms were legal in NJ? Would I be able to possess them in NJ if I had them legally held in my trunk locked without ammo? Also, what if they weren't long arms and just a handgun that was also legal in NJ?
    Any possession off your premises (including unloaded in your vehicle) of a handgun, or a longarm w/o an NJFID is prohibited (NJS 2C:39-5b and 5c) unless you meet one of the many exemptions of NJS 2C:39-6 (such as going to range, about your residence, gunsmith, hunting, etc). None of the exceptions apply to possession while going between multiple residences. Section 6e is the exception closest to your circumstance but you'll notice the "when moving" requirement. It doesn't matter whether the firearm are NJ or Pa bought/registered, the prohibition is on possession.

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons.

b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
    2C:39-6e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.
    IANAL

Hokkmike Guest

Hello!

Once I change my address to PA I want to purchase a handgun and maybe an assault rifle.
    Don't know the answers to your questions. Friend to friend I would ask that we not refer to our semis as "assault rifles".

Good luck in your venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Don't know the answers to your questions. Friend to friend I would ask that we not refer to our semis as "assault rifles".

Good luck in your venture.
    Couldn't agree more, there's nothing "assault" about any of my rifles.