Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Antigun meeting in bucks county - IMPORTANT

I don't think going is an option. I get physically ill listening to bs anti-gunner propaganda, particularly face to face these days.

(Bucks County)

I just got back. Thanks to the other 6 or so pro-gun guys that took the time to show up.

Here's my report:

Total in attendance: about 30 to 35 people, 7 or so of which were pro-gun.

When an opposing point of view is brought up, they mention this isn't up for debate and they need to stick to their agenda list.

Agenda being:

Summary of the Jan 17th meeting
    Announce a meeting with State Rep. Steve Santarsiero and "Bucksafe"
    Explain post card signing (attention grab directed to Mike Fitzpatrick)

Speakers were:
    Cathy Leary from Buxmont Coaltion for Peace
    They discussed a planning of an event they are having in March
    Sign up for the May 4th walk from Morrisville to Trenton they are co-sponsoring with Buxmont.

Discussion of New Business:
    Facebook - Changes made to safeguard their facebook page (this means they moderate the posts)
    BCAGV member Ruhksana Hasib article that was published in the Intelligencer
    Request for volunteers to handle phone chain and to be on transportation, and personal guidlines
    Vote on Name Modification (they now want to just be Bucks Against Gun Violence).

My notes as follows:
    They want "common sense" gun regulation (but couldn't define what that meant)

They talked about partnership with Bucksafe group on facebook.

Postcard campaign blitz to get reps attention (they think this is more effective than a petiton, getting inundated with postcards). They will get the media involved to force Mike Fitz to meet with them as he has turned them down so far.

They are adamant about getting things published in the newspaper to get their name and message out there.

Other ideas they had was on specific days flooding calls to reps, they feel phone calls get tallied and get more attention by the reps and staff.

My opinion of all this:

They are a loosely formed group, nowhere near the turnout at the Concerned Gun Owners of Bucks County. But they want to align with Bucks Safe to strenghthen their numbers. It's a bunch of older women mostly with some middle aged men and women. They say their name is Bucks Against Gun Violence, but they never talked about Violence, only banning guns, specifically Assault Weapons and large magazines. They are on a crusade. I told them they should focus on violence in general because that way regardless of the tool, no one gets hurt. They didn't like that, I was told it's impossible to remove violence in society, yet they think it's possible to remove all the guns and that will solve the problem.

Further, they were annoyed really that so many pro-gun people were there. I could sense their frustration and not wanting us there. I'd love to see pro-gun people become the majority for a few of their meetings. As Sun Tzu said, "Whenever there is fighting to be done, the keenest spirits should be appointed to serve in the front ranks, both in order to strengthen the resolution of our own men and to demoralize the enemy."

(Bucks County)

Damn, I just saw this tonight for the first time, I live right in Southampton, I would have been there in my shining NRA armor from head to toe. Let me know when the next meeting is.

(Bucks County)

I was one of the seven people there and needless to say that despite all my efforts to be respectful and listen well, any attempt at a logical conversation fell short and I had about three people walk away in the middle of a discussion. They frequently threw around phrases like "I believe in ___" and "I feel that ____" without anything relating to facts or objective statistics. One lady stated "We all want to protect our children, but that does not mean one should get more guns, there are other ways of protecting our children." My question was "how?" after the meeting, which not surprisingly, went unanswered. I just think this was a collection of like-minded buffalo individuals who are completely uneducated in relation to gun functionality with too much time on their hands. "I ar afraid that means everyone haz to be afraid and ban guns and they kill babies, someone hold mii I'm thscared! :'((( "

your always gonna have "them" kind of shit talkers. just engage politely or walk away. not worth going apeshit over.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAR View Post
    So what is the objective of going there ?

Everyone there is already an anti. Are we trying to convert them or just instigate ? I am not trying to be smart.
    Theoretically some people might go to let them know we are not just going to say "please respect our rights" prepare for a fight over the constitution.
    I offer discounts on freeze dried foods, knives and other prepping products.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ak47fullmag View Post
    your always gonna have "them" kind of shit talkers. just engage politely or walk away. not worth going apeshit over.
    Apeshit? Not even worth my breath, but I always have hope that through respectful engagement, there will be one person out of the sheep that will use their brain and start asking questions.

(Wayne County)

Thanks inline for the great summary of the meeting. I was there too but arrived late. You saved me the trouble of typing up a summary.

There were 30 people there and of those 7 were pro-gun. Pretty pathetic imo. We had what 300 people at Concerned Gun Owners of Bucks County ? We must keep this up.

At one point a pro-gun guy was talking and their leader interrupted him and very annoyedly said "this is what they do. they are going to try to infiltrate our meetings."

If we apply ourselves we could actually outnumber them at their own meeting next time. If we keep showing up we can crush this group before it has a chance to grow.

IMO: we goto their meetings. We be polite but bring up our points. They CAN"T stand it when we bring up our points. Their "members" will get frustrated and quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yura265 View Post
    Apeshit? Not even worth my breath, but I always have hope that through respectful engagement, there will be one person out of the sheep that will use their brain and start asking questions.
    im of the same mind. although I can remember couple incidences where 'apeshit' response felt just about fair.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ak47fullmag View Post
    im of the same mind. although I can remember couple incidences where 'apeshit' response felt just about fair.
    Yeah, I'm not surprised, it was pretty difficult to keep composure with them while dodging their bullshit catapult rounds...seems like they have an unlimited supply.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast