Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Report: Enforcement of the Brady Act 2010

The report in all its glory is available here:
    https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bjs/grants/239272.pdf

Don't be concerned if an error message pops up. For some reason the cover page is messed up. But the body of the report is OK.

But here's the condensed version with the stats I believe most relavent to us. Especially when we're arguing with an anti or a gun-grabbing politician! Please note this is my analysis and I most strongly suggest you review the report and especially check my numbers and arithmetic!

All information is for the year 2010

Backgound Checks conducted by the FBI: 6,037,394
    Background checks denied: 72,659 1.2%

Denials transferred to ATF for investigation: 76,142

Actions within ATF

Denials Transferred to field offices for further investigation: 4,732 6.2% of all denials. Note all percentages following are against total denials (76,142)

Denials not referred, overturned or cancelled: 71,410 93.8%

Denials Declined for referral to U.S. Attorneys: 4,184 5.5%

Denials referred to U.S. Attorneys: 62 0.08%

Results of those referred:

Declined by Prosecutors: 18

Guilty Plea By Defendant: 13 0.017%

Pending Prosecutor Action 12

Dismissed Per Plea Bargain Agreement: 10

And to add the frosting to this cake! The performance reported here is DOWN in all catagories for investigation and prosecution in amounts up to 77% less against that reported for 2006!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Report: Enforcement of the Brady Act 2010

There were more denials referred to the ATF than there were background denials.
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

(Susquehanna County)

Yes I know, I noticed that in the report but did not find a complete explanation for it. But it could conceivably be denials from state systems like PICS.

(Bucks County)

Your posted numbers:

Backgound Checks conducted by the FBI: 6,037,394
    Background checks denied: 72,659 1.2%

Denials transferred to ATF for investigation: 76,142

If these are the correct numbers in the report, they may have been the result of denials from the prior calendar year being transferred to ATF for investigation during 2010.

The criteria that triggers a denial to being transferred to ATF for investigation or the time frame for advancing a denial could increase the numbers as reported. I would think that November & December would be months with higher than average background checks.

(Westmoreland County)

Just proof that all of this crap is about disarming honest, law abiding people. It has nothing to do with criminals.

(Susquehanna County)

If anyone is thinking of using this information as the basis for a letter to our congresscritters, here's something to get you started. Feel free to edit as you think appropriate.

How does anyone dare to demand more laws and more government control when current law is so blatantly ignored by our federal government?

I'm speaking of the current state of enforcement of the Brady Act and I specifically call your attention to a report available from the National Criminal Justice Reference Service entitled "Enforcement of the Brady Act 2010".

The Brady Act as you should know is the law that established the National Instant Check System (NICS) and requires background checks for all firearms sales from licensed firearms dealers. The bottom line of this report is simply that out of more than 6 million background checks and more than 76,000 denied purchases, only 62 of those cases denied purchase were transferred to federal prosecutors. Of that number only 13 resulted in convictions and 10were plea bargained away! Absolutely an abysmal record of achievement!

Before writing new laws, I most strongly suggest you use your good offices to demand the rigorous enforcement of current law!

I also request a response specifically answering this letter.

(Lancaster County)

It is easier to persecute citizens than to send criminals to trial

Is how I read the above