Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Good News and Bad News

Quote Originally Posted by AirportFF View Post
    Thanks.

I was reading the Sccy forums and this had pretty positive reviews so I ordered one.
    http://foxxholsters.onlybusiness.com...s-details.aspx
    Here's another option:
    http://www.fobusholster.com/products...ER-3426-0.html
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(Pike County)

Congrats. I had my LTCF for nearly 4 years and my 9mm for nearly 1 1/2 years yet only now am I only considering carrying in certain circumstances. It's just that I found the responsibility overwhelming and I wasn't ready yet (Both mentally and in my skills with a pistol). Anyway if you're looking for a holster check out Safari Land, I will be ordering my first holster from them next month due to positive reviews I have heard from other members. Good luck.

Did any of you have anxiety while just sitting down thinking for the first time about the responsibility that goes along with it? I feel like an idiot for asking it, but was just wondering if I was the only one. I just keep thinking of things that may go wrong (I'm a pessimist at heart)
    That feeling you have is what happens when your rights intersect with reality. You're absolutely correct to feel that way - it's the hallmark of someone who's a thinking man aware of the ponderous and fearsome responsibility he's undertaken. But rest assured it'll pass in time. Just take it slow.

By way of a few suggestions, carry around the house for a while first to get the feel for it. Practice draws and reholstering. Look at your rig and carry position in a mirror to be sure you're not printing. Get some training, or at least watch a few videos like the Armed Response series (and practice techniques) to give you confidence and skill. For example, one recommendation they make is to buy an airsoft model of the gun you plan to carry for retention and defensive drills. The airsoft gun will be nearly identical in dimension so it will fit in your holster and enable you (with eye and face protection) to work with a partner on combat engagements without risk of death or serious injury.

Feel free to click in here if you have any questions. There are lots of folks read to help.

(Pike County)

Man, this is the one topic where MEN sound like women. You will try many holster until you find one that fits to YOU! What fits someone might not fit to you.

Dont be surprised to spend 50-100 bucks on a real good holster. My CC holster is a crossbreed in horse hide. Some folks love the crossbreed, some dont. But with any holster, remember it takes a while for you to adjust to it.

Think of it like a new pair of shoes. You walk in to the store in old beat up boots/sneakers. you try on NEW ones, they feel real snug and awkward. But once they break in they are comfy. Same thought applies to holsters and Carrying.

Now on to the other thing. YOU WILL find yourself doing one thing that everyone does.... You will go out with your firearm. You WILL find yourself checking to make sure it is secure in the holster. You WILL also find yourself making sure it is covered. You will find yourself looking at others to see if they notice in any way shape or form the firearm.

Most folks start off CC'ing all the time. Once they hit a certian comfort level they might OC. I personally OC/CC per say, IWB shirt tucked behind holster. so you see the grip and end of slide. Shirt kinda lops over a little bit.

I have noticed new CC'ing folks by their actions in public. As I mentioned above they check their sidearm many times. Kinda feeling around with a quick push down into the holster. They are doing this to make sure A-its still there, B- its not falling out. A good holster will have good rentention.
    The new CC person, will also be more aware of who is looking at them. kinda a alerted situational awareness. you will grab something off the shelf, wonder if your sidearm has been exposed. Then you try to act cool and scan the folks around you for odd behavior/panic. THIS IS ALL NORMAL, everone has done it. Some without even knowing they did it.

If need be, there are plenty of folks on here . Some might say hey, lets go to taco bell and break the CC ice. The biggest thing is JUST RELAX...After a while like mentioned above. It will be just like wearing a cellphone on you hip. you wont even notice it.

And one the LAST note....

Dont ask "DOES THIS MAKE MY ASS LOOK BIG".....You will be demoted down one step on the man ladder...

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    Some might say hey, lets go to taco bell and break the CC ice.
    Nothing like breaking the CC ice over a couple of tacos or burrito supremes.
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    Nothing like breaking the CC ice over a couple of tacos or burrito supremes.
    Not a bad idea at all.

(York County)

Just a quick holster suggestion - try Fist holsters, hand made out of NYC with heavy duty leather specific to each weapon and many different options (including 8 colors). I've carried three various handguns in their #7 & #9's with great success. They ride somewhat high & tight to the body, which is great for tall skinny guys like me. My current Sig 239 in a #9 is going on 7 years. You will spend under $100 and wait 4 weeks, but it's well worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    Dont ask "DOES THIS MAKE MY ASS LOOK BIG".....You will be demoted down one step on the man ladder...
    Which is why I carry with my piece stuffed down the front of my pants, to see if the girls notice.

Depending on individual preferences, the Blackhawk CQC is a good retention holster, and is inexpensive. No worries about the gun falling out with that one.

(Pike County)

Went to the sheriff's office to pick it up today, internet is down.... FML

(York County)

Well I got the notice in the mail today that my LTCF has been approved. I was happy that it went through with no issues and it only took 24 days.

Now I have to find a holster for my CPX-1 9mm. Any recommendations?

Did any of you have anxiety while just sitting down thinking for the first time about the responsibility that goes along with it? I feel like an idiot for asking it, but was just wondering if I was the only one. I just keep thinking of things that may go wrong (I'm a pessimist at heart)
    Seriously.....................24 days for Pike county............according to the 2010 census there is only 57,000 people living there..........someone is screwing the pooch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast