Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default New Ruger Super Redhawk

I stopped by a small local gun store that I don't often frequent and found this. A Ruger 7.5" Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.

This one completes the Redhawk portion of my collection. I already had a 9.5" version and an Alaskan.

I also secured enough reloading supplies to load up 500 rounds of .454.

All in all a pretty good day.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: New Ruger Super Redhawk

Nice collection! I love the target grey finish.

I notice you are using the Hornady XTP, as am I, but I've read that they won't hold together on impact from .454 velocity, and that the XTP mag is what we should use . What has your experience been?

(Bucks County)

i had a super redhawk in 454 casull and recoil was brutal, ended up selling it and keeping my Taurus Raging Bull in 454. with the ported barrel recoil with the taurus was much more manageable to shoot.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    Nice collection! I love the target grey finish.

I notice you are using the Hornady XTP, as am I, but I've read that they won't hold together on impact from .454 velocity, and that the XTP mag is what we should use . What has your experience been?

I'm glad you pointed that out. It looks like the 250 grain bullets were made for the .45 Colt. The Hornady 240 and 300XTP mag grain bullets were made for the .454. Some say the 250 grainers can actually accelerate forcing cone wear at .454 velocities.

Looks like I'll be using these in my .45 Colt loads. Thanks for the heads up.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I'm glad you pointed that out. It looks like the 250 grain bullets were made for the .45 Colt. The Hornady 240 and 300XTP mag grain bullets were made for the .454. Some say the 250 grainers can actually accelerate forcing cone wear at .454 velocities.

Looks like I'll be using these in my .45 Colt loads. Thanks for the heads up.
    I just use them for paper punching at mild velocities, as I didn't know when I bought the gun (and they were free from Hornady when I bought me press). I've been thinking about ordering some hard cast lead bullets.

(Westmoreland County)

Yep, I'll be looking into some hard cast bullets too. I still want to try some ETP's. I'll pick up some 240 & 300 grain XTP mag the next time I go to Cabellas. I've been loading hot .45 Colts for my Blackhawk for years. The .454 is rather new to me. I got the Alaskan last fall. We played around with it a good bit up at bear camp with factory .454's and my .45 Colt reloads. The 9.5" was a January find, I have not shor it yet. And of course I just got the 7.5". I want to upgrade the scope on the 9.5" with a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8. I think that'll make it one heck of a hunting revolver. I'll probably leave the 7.5" as it is.

You learn something new every day.

(Luzerne County)

The .454 has some good kick to it. If you didn't know, TK Custom can machine the cylinder for moonclips, allowing you to shoot .45 ACP. That stuff mist feel like shooting a BB gun considering how soft .45 Colt feels.