Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Cutting down a shotgun barrel

I've ended up with an extra barrel for my Mossy 500. So, the question is, do I wait for the backorder to come in on an 18.5" HD barrel, or do I cut mine?

The barrel in question is a vent rib 28" mod choke. It's far from perfect in terms of looks with some minor pitting on the outside. Bore is in excellent shape, however. Cutting right at 20" would end up at the end of one of the posts, making for a decent appearance. Same for 18" but I know it would be dumb to push the absolute limit, and 20" is an okay length anyways.

I understand that a hacksaw and a file will get a decent appearance minus bluing, but that still leaves me needing to move the bead. Looks like I'd have to drill and thread a hole for the existing one, which could be interesting without a drill press.

So then the question is, if I'm going to have a gunsmith move the bead sight, why not just go all in and see if said smith can also thread it to take interchangeable choke tubes like the nice field barrel I just got? Far from a necessity, but strikes me as a fun idea.

Thoughts?

If anyone knows of a good smith to do this, especially local to the Philly area, and about how much to expect to pay, that would be great. Most anything for the 500 goes for decent money on eBay right now, so there's that to consider too.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Cutting down a shotgun barrel

Im currently about to attempt the same thing myself im cutting it and putting a slide on hi viz rib front sight no gunsmith needed.
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrmm22sr View Post
    Im currently about to attempt the same thing myself im cutting it and putting a slide on hi viz rib front sight no gunsmith needed.
    I just noted and filed your method for future use...thanks!

(Lehigh County)

It seems like the easiest and cheapest way to turn a cheap field gun into a useful gun for people who really dont hunt. home defense shotguns 300$ plus a used field gun $150 used a few minutes of time a little cold blue and a $12 slip on site your set.
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Delaware County)

If there is no rib on the barrel then use a tubing cutter to make a clean cut.

chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Montgomery County)

Any suggestions as to which clip on sight is best for the vent ribs on the Mossberg?

I had no idea these sights existed. Awesome.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by chalmitch View Post

chalmitch
    Sorry, but there is enough taper in the barrel to cause a tubing cutter to spiral.....Have it cut off in a lathe.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chalmitch View Post

chalmitch
    I would not recommend that. The problem with barrel taper was brought up. A pipe cutter rolls a good burr on the inside of the tube too.

A gunsmith with the right tools will cut it off, rough file the end and reface the end of the barrel. There is a pilot and cutter to get the end faced off properly.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...9.aspx?ttver=1

You may want to limit it to 18 1/2", too short and you have a problem.

(Monroe County)

I'm a gunsmith in East Stroudsburg, not sure how far you want to travel or mail something. With a vented rib be carefull. I can do it and install the beed for $40.00. It'll be done on a lathe, not a saw. Either way, good luck with it and dont use a pipe cutter if it has a rib

(Monroe County)

If you take the time to mark the cut carefully so that it comes out square with the breach it is a simple job. Cut thru a solid part of the rib. On a double you have to fill the joint at the rib and the bbls, PC7 epoxy works fine. A hi-vis sight is an easy fix. If you are mechanical it is an easy project if you are not pay someone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast