Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    (Greene County)

Default Re: SBR'd AR15 - a brief guide and my experience

Damn my dreams are crushed here! My next project will be an SBR, I was thinking I would be able to change barrel lengths on it being the lower is actually what is registered.. It's kind of screwed up that they ask for a measurement, even though its illegal to have the parts on hand.. It is legal to own a pistol upper as long as you have a pistol lower for it as well, right? Even if you have another lower built and waiting for the pistol upper's tax stamp

Quote Originally Posted by rahliE View Post
    Damn my dreams are crushed here! My next project will be an SBR, I was thinking I would be able to change barrel lengths on it being the lower is actually what is registered.. It's kind of screwed up that they ask for a measurement, even though its illegal to have the parts on hand.. It is legal to own a pistol upper as long as you have a pistol lower for it as well, right? Even if you have another lower built and waiting for the pistol upper's tax stamp
    So I am in the early stages of building a SBR as well, and in my research came across this thread. I haven't read it all, so this may be in there, but it's not necessarily illegal to have the parts on hand....hear me out now as I just spent the past 2 days on and off the phone with someone at the ATF. Though there are clear rules to follow, they seemed a lot more laid back than I expected. They said that I could purchase the stripped barrel and have my stripped lower BEFORE my approved paperwork came back. The key is that it does NOT get assembled before that. That being said, there are things to do to prevent constructive intent, e.g., keep the lower in a locked safe, keep the barrel at a friend's house, something in the attic, etc.

As for the length, if you have a current AR, measure that and subtract the difference in barrel length of what you INTEND to purchase when you do assemble. They said it was not a big deal if you decide to change the barrel down the road, simply call them to update the length information.

Keep in mind I am new to this, for official information, please call the ATF yourself as they carry the weight. I'm just relaying information I learned yesterday as I just ran across this post today.

Hope this helps.

(Montgomery County)

The address zip code you have listed for the form 1s is incorrect. It's 25405
    Other than that thank you for the sticky!
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Perry County)

I noticed this was last updated in 2013. Is there a new updated guide somewhere (specifically for SBR) or is everything still the same?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112