Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default revolver conundrum

As we all know it's income tax season, which for the majority of the board means we're looking for guns. Unfortunately for me, I've got a one-year-old boy who needs paid off (shit insurance, woe is me), so I can't get everything I'd like, or even more than one thing I'd like.

Don't take that the wrong way, however. That boy is my pride and joy and the $4000 we owe for him is money well spent.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a gun. Specifically a carry gun. Right now I've got a Gen4 G17 which I love and use for HD, but since I've not carried before I'm a little reluctant to drop the money on gear for a gun that may well be too large and/or cumbersome. Plus, given my family and in-laws, I'd prefer to make conspicuousness a priority. Like I said, I'm new at this and it's a scary and dangerous world I'm venturing into.

I've done a lot of thinking and have settled on a revolver. I'm well aware of the advantages of autos (magazine reloads being chief among them), but figure the reliability of a revolver is reason enough for me. No limp wristing, able shoot from compromised positions, no feed or ejection errors.

I've also narrowed my choices down to either a J-frame or an LCR. The J-frame in question would most likely be a 442 without the lock, but if I couldn't find one I might settle for a 642. Prefer the black finish, though.

Who has either and can offer some owner input? Better yet, anyone own both and could compare/contrast them?

Also kind of in the running is the LCR in 357, the SP101 in 357, and if I could find the money, a 340M&P (but I could get two LCRs or 442s for that price). Deep down I'd prefer 357, but honestly have read that from a 2" barrel it's kind of a waste. But man, that 340 is one sexy gun.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: revolver conundrum

I have the LCR in 38 spc. It's a nice gun, fits right in your pocket, but the recoil is pretty rough. You will not enjoy practicing with this gun. The 357 version is heavier but I can't imagine how bad the recoil and the muzzle flash is if you're shooting 357s from it. Good hollow point ammo in 38 special will do the job on an attacker, anyway. 357 is for shooting through metal blocks IMHO.

You do have to put a bit of effort into finding speedloaders that work with either LCR. The big fat Hogue grips it comes from the factory with can get in the way of a speedloader. I got one from 5-star Firearms that works well. You can also get speedstrips, which are a bit slower but guaranteed to work on any revolver with a swing-out cylinder. You definitely don't want to be stuck reloading from loose rounds in your pocket in an SD situation.

Plus, given my family and in-laws, I'd prefer to make conspicuousness a priority.
    I assume you mean inconspicuousness? Not nitpicking grammar or anything, just trying to be clear on what you mean.

(Blair County)

Yes, inconspicuousness. I hate typing in my phone.

ETA: How's the finish on the LCR holding up? Have read troubling reports about the 442 both scratching easily and flaking off. Also, apparently the cylinder is made from carbon steel while the 642 is stainless. I'm starting to lean toward the 642 or LCR.

Having a very hard time justifying close to $800 for a 340 as well. Likewise am unsure if the 357 variant of the Ruger is worth an extra $100+

Another plus for the Ruger is the .22LR model, which would allow me to own two of the same gun in two calibers, one actually being enjoyable to shoot and something to introduce the wife to. .22 J-frames are expensive.
    Last edited by medsteele; February 8th, 2013 at 03:51 AM.

(Allegheny County)

The finish is fine after two summers of every day carry (I carry an SR9c during the winter), though I clean/oil it every time I shoot. You definitely want a bore snake to clean it with.

I'd say the only reason to get the 357 version would be to get the heavier gun (less recoil for the 38 spc). If you have extra money to spend I'd suggest using it on getting one of the laser-equipped versions, as the factory sights are pretty useless. At short range the sights really don't matter, but it would be nice to have a laser.

I don't know how much fun it is to shoot the LCR22. Less recoil, but the trigger pull is said to be much heavier on that one. I never really got the point of a 22 snubbie, but maybe I'm just missing something...

EDIT: If you do want to get the LCR22, there are actually some laser-equipped versions of that available on Bud's and elsewhere. And I *think* the lasers that fit the 22 also fit the 38 spc version. It might be harder to find a laser-equipped LCR in 38.
    Last edited by Fujisawa-sensai; February 8th, 2013 at 04:19 AM.

(Blair County)

Been reading about the LCR22 and yeah, reports abound about the terrible trigger. Maybe take that out of consideration.

The .22 was mainly to ease my wife into shooting. She's on the fence about taking a handgun out and I figured the nonexistent recoil on a .22 might be the little push she needed.

I will interject, go to your lgs and grab both if you can. I love the LCR but really don't like the grip, but the jframe smiths are great, I have had 3 and regret selling every one of them so I'm looking to get one soon. I don't think you'll have finish concerns with either the 442 or 642 but expect some wear to happen to a carry gun. The uncle mikes boot grip on the smith is nice in the hand and great any way you carry it. I don't pocket carry anymore but in a holster on my side a jframe is real hard to beat. The 38spl is plenty for SD and the 357 will be a beast out of any small revolver even the sp101 which is a great revolver but a bit heavy without the proper holster.
    I would look into a jframe smith and then the sp101 as my next option just cause I don't like the LCR grip.

(Lehigh County)

I don't have one of the Smith snubbys so I can't speak to that effect, but I can tell you for sure, the SP101 is heavy. It is a big chunk of stainless steel. That said it will soak up the recoil a bit better than any of the uber light snubbys. Even so, with full .357 loads it is a handful. Probably not as much as a 357 LCR but way more than the tolerance level for many people.

If given the choice of what you posted above, I think I would go with the LCR in .357 (if you can find one) and load it with some high quality 38spl +P defensive loads. The polymer frames are impervious to just about anything and wear very well over time, the slighly heavier weight will help just a bit to tame recoil.

Honestly when it comes down to it, if the gun feels too heavy, you will not carry it. Take it from me, been there done that.

Regarding carrying a revolver, I find that pocket carry does not work for me. The cylinder is too bulky an prints regardless of what I happen to wear. I suspect a good IWB holster would fix that issue however I have not gone that direction yet.

(Lancaster County)

I have a no lock 642 that I bought in 2008, the finish is holding up very well after almost 5 years of carry. I have shot hundreds of rounds with it and am very happy with the accuracy at 7-10 yards.
    Recoil with 158 grain bullets is brisk, but with 125 grain hand loads it is fun to shoot. The trigger pull also smooths out after a lot of shooting and dry fire.

You may also want to look for a used steel frame J such as the 640, 60, or 36. They weigh about 5 or 6 ounces more and help with the recoil.

I find the Ruger SP too big and heavy for what it is and have no experience with the LCR. I think with any of these choices you will end up with a winner.

(Susquehanna County)

The revolvers you mention are very good handguns. But, you might consider looking around the used market for a S&W K-frame model 10 or model 64 with 2" or 3" barrel. You'll save a bit of money on it to help finance your son, and you'll get a good servicable 6 shot gun it the bargain. Stoke it with +P 158 grain swc hollow points for carry and use standard stuff for practice. If you have your heart set on a .357 Magnum look for a model 66 or similar with the same sized barrel. Don't stick you nose up at police trade-ins either! They're uually hte best deal in town! Carried much, but fired little.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Dauphin County)

I own a 642-1, and agree with other posters, even .38Spl in that size gun is a handful, +P is brutal after awhile. But it carries well in the front pocket of my pants in a Remora holster and I often carry it. I use quick strips to carry my extra ammo. Speedloaders are bulky and if you use a decent grip on the 642 to try to control recoil they won't work at all.

I just today bought an LCR in .22WMR, trigger pull is 9# just like my reworked 642. I sometimes have carried a .22LR and felt safe because I shoot it well and Velociters are effective, but .22WMR is going to be much better. Hornady, Speer, and Winchester all make SD ammo (if I can find a place that has any!). The LCR goes to the range Monday or Tuesday.

A revolver is a viable SD gun, easy to use, more concealable than your G17.

Good luck.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast