Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: has anyone been in similar situations?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

0 0%
  • no

20 100.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: can anyone help with some information? anything at all will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    timeout. You sir, or your 'friend' need a lawyer.
    <SNIP>
    yes, you/he/she will lose their right to own firearms if convicted. Unless you get ARD and manage to get it expunged properly.
    Make sure you get a lawyer who SUPPORTS GUN RIGHTS & KNOWS GUN LAWS - This cannot be emphasized enough - many lawyers (even a "good one" do not fight hard enough to prevent their clients from losing their RKBA)..

Do try to get the charges changed or be sure to get ARD with the stipulation that it will be expunged when satisfied...

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    If he pleads to a lesser crime he should be very careful of what the plea actualy is.
    This is another failing of many lawers in terms of keeping your RKBA...

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    I stopped because I realized that getting caught would be quite detrimental, and it will remain that way until such time as it is made legal.
    As with many other offenses, there's no guarantee that once legalized prior offenses would become irrelevant -- Many old charges, even when the same offense now has different sentencing guidelines, are evaluated based on the law at the time - and has nothing to do with legal or illegal later...

(Lehigh County)

thanks for the info people. the person was released, so I'm assuming no felony charges were filed. however this person wasn't smart enough to even ask what he was being charged with, ( scared shitless I assume), so they told him he will get papers in the mail. I appreciate all the responses and info thanks guys.

(Lancaster County)

Hope it wasn't an expensive pistol, because he's probably never going to see it again.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

irresponsible

still less of a threat to society than drunk driving
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

If you must break the law and excercise your natural right to put what you want into you body, do not have a firearm with you in the process.

We all know that it's ridiculous, and the marijuana prohibition is completely retarded, but if caught you WILL be very, very fucked.

This is why I stay away from it. Literally, the only reason. In my high school days, I "indulged" a time or two, but then I got a little older and a little wiser each year. I stopped because I realized that getting caught would be quite detrimental, and it will remain that way until such time as it is made legal. If I were to be caught, I'd be a prohibited person, and I am not willing to make that risk.
    Since I got into firearms, I wouldn't even consider stealing a pack of gum. Losing my right to carry would be devastating.

Wise words...too bad not many will follow them.

(Lehigh County)

i'm a little confused. When did this happen, 5 years ago? Did he have a LTCF and does he still have i? was he denied in trying to get it or his firearm back. Did he get the firearm back? What was he actually charged with?

(Lehigh County)

thanks, especially to you you Mr. Paine. and i can assure you it was not me in this situation. just trying to keep the person anonymous as they are very close to me. this person was relieved of his firearm and licence to carry and promptly ROR, but never bothered to ask what they were being charged with, I am assuming a felony of any kind would not warrant ROR. The charges are to be sent in the mail so I'm going to guess, maybe possession for personal use? hopefully, for their sake.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brasshole View Post
    thanks for the info people. the person was released, so I'm assuming no felony charges were filed. however this person wasn't smart enough to even ask what he was being charged with, ( scared shitless I assume), so they told him he will get papers in the mail. I appreciate all the responses and info thanks guys.
    Yes. Misdemeanors sounds like. What class? I don't know and yes pending the situation they could throw more than one charge at him. Usually they will hint at what he is going to be charged with after he is released. Which can also change. Cops may say you're gonna be charged with something and it'll be something else when you get the citations in the mail.

He will also get a letter saying he has to see the magistrate on X date probably. Make sure he at least talks to a lawyer before he steps near a courtroom. Some criminal defense lawyers will probably mail him offers of representation or consultation unsolicited. Or at worst case if he has a lack of funds he can apply for a public defender. But a criminal lawyer that has his best interests at mind is always better. If it's his first offense, he may qualify for ARD. But not sure how that would work with his ltcf or if that would get him eligable for ltcf again.

He made a stupid stupid move. But time to learn a lesson and fix it. He needs to see a lawyer asap to get a game plan together.
    Last edited by khankewycz; February 8th, 2013 at 09:12 PM.

(Delaware County)

I would hope this person is not staying in your abode if you possess any firearms or ammo. That may become an issue down the road if they are.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Lehigh County)

no thundrr. not staying here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12