Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Questions about tumbling

I'm new to pistol reloading and I have questions about tumbling. I found answers to most of them by searching forums but here are a few I couldn't find:

How long should you tumble brass? Is there a set min and max time or is it just wait and see how long it takes to clean? If it's the latter, is there such a thing as an average time - 1 hour, 5 hours, 10 hours, etc?

How much media do I use? Is there a set ratio?

Can I reuse the media or should I replace it after each tumle? If I can reuse, for how long?

Lastly, does anybody do anything in addition to tumbling - like cleaning the brass with a liquid solution of some sort?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Questions about tumbling

Quote Originally Posted by Bond815 View Post
    I'm new to pistol reloading and I have questions about tumbling. I found answers to most of them by searching forums but here are a few I couldn't find:

How long should you tumble brass? Is there a set min and max time or is it just wait and see how long it takes to clean? If it's the latter, is there such a thing as an average time - 1 hour, 5 hours, 10 hours, etc?

How much media do I use? Is there a set ratio?

Can I reuse the media or should I replace it after each tumle? If I can reuse, for how long?

Lastly, does anybody do anything in addition to tumbling - like cleaning the brass with a liquid solution of some sort?
    There realy is no set amount of time for tumbling, You just take a look from time to time and see if it is cleaned to your liking. I tumble for about 4 hours, gets the brass nice and shiny.

The amount of media you use will depend on the size of your tumbler, My commercial units use 50 pounds each. The smaller personal units use anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds for a full load of brass.

You can reuse the media over and over again until it gets dirty enough that it just doesn't clean anymore or takes way to long to get the brass clean. How long you can reuse it ofcourse depends on how dirty the brass is you are triing to clean.

Rich W.

(Centre County)

Like WS said, it all depends on what you want. I have tumbled mine for 1 hour and I have tumbled it for 6-8 hours. The more you have, the longer it takes as well. Also, assuming you haven't been cleaning brass long, you can add polish to your media to give the brass a nice shiney look. I believe they recommend using different media to polish and clean, but I don't. It works well enough for me one time through. Anyway, have fun with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

(Luzerne County)

Most tumblers should work well with about 3/4 media and a 100-300 rds of brass. About 4 hours a Rich mentioned is a good starting point...a little less for cleaner brass, maybe a little longer for 2 weeks in the rain range pick ups.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Berks County)

I normally tumble mine for 2 hours for the first round, after I size everything and trim them they go back in there for another hour to get the one shot lube off of them. I think mine come out fine. I use a little flitz cleaner in with mine to polish them a little bit.

(Clearfield County)

I clean my brass before i load about 2 hours and then after I load them And then I put them back in the tumbler for about 20 min.to make sure that they are clean that is what I do It works for me
    [SIGPIC][

(Lebanon County)

Thanks for all the help. I now have a much better idea of what I'm doing.
    NRA, SAF, IDPA, FOP, PA Sheriffs Assoc.

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" - Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

I tumble overnight when I'm going for a high polish. Throw some cut up dryer sheets in the media to shine it up real nice. It's not just for aesthetics. Having hella shiny brass makes it much easier to recover, especially where there are a lot of other people shooting.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com