Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Bobcats in pa

Hybrid View

(Lackawanna County)

Default Bobcats in pa

Is it rare to see a bobcat in pa? Specifically near elk mountain? We've had 2 sighting of bobcat, the first was caught on security cameras and it was trying to eat a mink or something that size and hung around for a while rolling around in the snow like a dog lol

The 2nd was also on camera and the bobcat was just hanging out and he was like stalking a ground light that he didn't like or was curious about it. Took a couple swats and maybe bit it and then took off.

Is this a rare event? How dangerous are they to humans, are they pretty skiddish, look for garbage, can a person fight one off if it attacks?

(Crawford County)

Default Re: Bobcats in pa

Bobcats, like the new and improved Eastern coyotes, are making inroads into PA. Unlike the eastern coyote, bobcats are actually native to the area. That said, never take ANY predator for granted. They are ALL dangerous, and should be treated with respect. Bobcats are tough, fast, and very well armed with claws and teeth that will take a chunk right out of your hide.

I haven't noticed nor heard of recent bobcat sign here in Crawford County, but I'm sure we're due. After all, we've got everything else around here: coyote, wild dog, and a bear or two. I don't wander my woods without my gun anymore, and if I'm staying on my own property my shotgun goes along as well. I'm not hunting, and have no interest in hunting, but I will protect me and mine from charging predators.

Fish and Game Commission ain't real happy about me walking my woods with a shotgun out of hunting season (or during hunting season without a license, for that matter) but I fugure its MY land and I'll wander it whenever the hell I feel like carrying whatever the hell I want.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Cumberland County)

Past couple years I've seen bobcat here in Schuylkill County, Tremont area.

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

They're not common, but in the northern part of the state they're not quite "rare". I used to see them a couple times a year up in Warren County.

I've heard of two bobcat attacks on humans, both from spring turkey hunters that were in full camo, seated and calling, they were attacked when the moved their heads and the cats ran off when they realized it wasn't a turkey/rodent but a human.

Lets be honest about wildlife attacks here for a second.
    There hasn't been a human being killed by a black bear in PA for about a CENTURY (and the last one was a pet bear).
    Theres been one attack on a human by a coyote in PA in about 40 years, and again, no fatalities.
    Bobcats? No fatalities, only attacks when the target wasn't obviously a human.

So in recorded pa history- No deaths from Bobcats, coyotes, and one from a pet bear about a hundred years ago. PA wilds are not really dangerous places. You're MUCH more likely to be injured by a domestic dog or cat, including fataly. I think there are a lot of guys that want the woods to be dangerous so they can be a tough guy for being out in the scary howling wilderness. The reality is the opposite.

Could a bobcat hurt you? Sure. But you're more likely to be hit by lightening or murdered with a modern sporting rifle.

I saw two last year in Jefferson county. One at Clear Creek State Park and the other across the road from the park on state forest land. Although it could have been the same bobcat.

(Centre County)

They are around here in Centre, Clinton, and Mifflin county.