Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Taurus JUDGE Issues

OK finally got my JUDGE....tho a 357/44 magnum guy for decades,I thought the novelty of a load of 410 in my pocket was too cool to pass up...SO I got one...

While initially handling it the first time I notice the cylinder release is quite hard to slide forward... ok... bear down and do it... fine...

swing the cylinder out with left two middle fingers as all revolver guys do, fine...

spin and set it back in slowly, index til it stops.... okie dokie..... NOW----

piush just a TAD more to the right.... POOOOOOOF the cylinder cycles to the right!

Try to use your left hand to move it to the left-- no go! Its locked tight as it should be.... but you can very easily cycle it to the right...

not one of my S&W's do this..... AND--- mind you this is NIB...

the front of the cyyinder seems carboned and the barrel shows wear too... do you think this is NIB and do you think cylinder movement is normal for the Judge?

thanks in advance... Racing

Gallagher Guns LLC Gun Shop/NRA Certified Instructor -Swiftwater

(York County)

Red face Re: Taurus JUDGE Issues

After reading this I went and looked at the Raging Judge Mag. I have listed in the Classified area and there is no carbon in the barrel or on the cylinder and it does not turn to the right as you're describing. I think I would take that one back and compare it to another. Seems like it might have some problem.

EDR
    Every day's a Saturday

Default Re: Taurus JUDGE Issues

The rotation of the cylinder, when closed, is not normal. There is a problem with the cylinder lock, or stop; whichever you prefer to call it. It isn't common, but not rare, either. Send that bad boy in for repair.

As far as the carbon, Taurus test fires guns at random (according to one of the CSR's). Also, be sure you actually bought a brand new gun. Taurus will repair it either way, but I don't want to spend new dollars on a used gun, and that would fall on the gun store you purchased it from.
    Last edited by harold63; February 7th, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

Thanks Guys.... I called my salesman and sent the same pics... He agreed cylinder rotation to the right is not correct... He will issue a Return Authorization and send me a new one PRIOR to receiving this one..

I questioned him, knowing some test firing does happen, but to have carbon on all 5 ports I told him this had to have been fired 10-15 times. I didnt show you guys or tell you the SS cylinder has numerour fine scrathes in it as well... laterally.... scuffs if you will..... so again, this was in someone's hands and wound back into NEW inventory.

He had no answer on that and YES this is a NIB firearm. All is well 'cept my customer has to wait another week for his gun.

Quote Originally Posted by racingfast View Post
    has numerour fine scrathes in it as well...
    More than likely this is tool marks. When they are apparent scratches like you describe, they fill up with debris and cause the rounds to hang up against the breech, thus locking the cylinder in place. Some people call it a jam, but not in the sense of a semi. Tauruses are notorious for this phenom. Mine locked up after 10 rounds or so, but a soft bore cleaner and some 3m compound made it where i can shoot a box full of ammo and it doesn't bunch up.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

IF it was for ME I could live with it.... but as its for a paying cusotmer.. we ahve all been there opening up the box like a 6 yr old on CHRISTMAS day.... last thing you wanna see is carbon or scratches.....replacement is on its way.. .minor delay for cust..... besides he wouldnt drive in the snow anyways.
    THANKS AGAIN!

(Erie County)

Angry Re: Taurus JUDGE Issues

That muzzle looks like they were removing nails with it! That gun is not NIB!

(Allegheny County)

NIB my backside! If you accept that as NIB, I have a bridge to sell you...

After owning a Taurus .357 Mag 20+ years ago, I can see their quality hasn't changed.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(Monroe County)

WELL I Will post up pics and the update when I get its replacement... Agree however this one slipped thru the cracks... no way NIB..