Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brass TulAmmo?

Default Brass TulAmmo?

Saw this at Walmart today and picked up two boxes.

I know nothing about this ammo other than what's on the box. Its made by TulAmmo (I'm wondering how long they've been making it) and that it's 170 grains which is odd. Also the box says it's made in Italy. Other than that, I've never seen this before. Anybody have any info?
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Brass TulAmmo?

What a coincidence. I picked up two boxes of 7.62x54r today. I'll find out how well it works next week when the weather breaks a little. 20 rounds for $16 bucks couldn't be passed up.

IIRC TulAmmo does not produce ammo, just repackages it, which is why it's various ammo offerings come from multiple different factories. Up until now, though, I've never seen a non-eastern european made Tula product. It's definitely the first brass cased ammo I've ever seen under their name.

(Allegheny County)

Shot plenty of their steel case in 30 carbine, brass is probably a step up. Comparable to blazer brass I suspect.

(Berks County)

I picked up a lot of the .223 steel case ammo last summer and it didnt feed worth a shit out of my AR. I was told to spray a little REM oil or WD-40 into the mag to help it cycle better. I've never had any problems with the wolf steel case though... just an fyi in case you come across anything in steel

(Allegheny County)

I can tell you this much - if they spelled "MAX" with TWO Xs, it's gotta be pretty good.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

What does the head stamp say? Maybe Fiocchi?

There are precedents. Wolf Gold (brass) ammo are made by PPU, and Cabela's Herter's select ammo are loaded by Sellier & Bellot (brass case) and CCI (aluminum case).

I'm certainly hoping the brass ammo is a step up from the steel. I ran a few hundred rounds of it through my sig and prefer not to use it any more unless I bring someone along that has never shot a gun before. Their steel case pistol ammo feeds reliably, but is severely watered down. It feels like I'm shooting light 9mm loads instead of a 40. There is a very noticeable difference in recoil and sound compared to any run of the mill brass ammo. WWB or the cheap federal ammo is what I normally shoot and you can tell the difference between those and the steel Tula. Also, shooting at longer distances, the consistency of the steel ammo is glaring when some rounds are impacting close to point of aim and others are impacting many feet below (this was at 100 yards).

However, I haven't experienced the same thing with the rifle tulammo. For the most part, I've only run TulAmmo through my vz58 (7.62x39) and I've never had any sort of malfunction at all. Also, the consistency of the round has much tighter tolerances than the pistol ammo I've shot. I've noticed no difference between TulAmmo or any of the other rounds I've fired. So for regular target practice, I prefer TulAmmo, although I don't stock it because I'm not fond of storing polymer coated ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    What does the head stamp say? Maybe Fiocchi?

There are precedents. Wolf Gold (brass) ammo are made by PPU, and Cabela's Herter's select ammo are loaded by Sellier & Bellot (brass case) and CCI (aluminum case).
    It says TulAmmo and 40 S&W. The symbol on the side looks like TulAmmos logo. The case looks the exact same as the steel, just this is brass...

(Bucks County)

Somewhere I saw that it was made by Fiocchi for Tula.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast