Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default The Senate Fight Shaping Up

From Sebastian at the "Shall Not Be Questioned" blog. The NRA-ILA is sending out email alerts, so NOW might be a good time to contact Casey and Toomey if you haven't already, and do it again if you have:

http://www.pagunblog.com/2013/02/06/...ht-shaping-up/

The Senate Fight Shaping Up

I got my second e-mail alert from NRA today asking people to call their Senators:

Every gun owner’s voice must be heard…STARTING WITH YOURS!!!
    Call the Capitol Hill switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask for your Senators by name. Or, email your Senators by going to NRA-ILA’s “Let Your Voice Be Heard” webpage.

NRA is generally loath to sound the alarm if things are going well, lest they be the boy who cries wolf, which tells me the votes in the Senate are not going in the direction we want.

Whether you call or email, make sure you tell your Senators to vote NO on any gun ban…NOon any magazine ban…NO on criminalizing private firearms transfers…and NO on any gun registration scheme.

It’s funny we were so close to getting national reciprocity, and now we’re fighting bans on semi-autos, magazines, and facing the very real possibility of shutting down private sales and national registration. Some gun owners were protesting this was not going to amount to much, because the anti-gun people have no real base of support. That doesn’t really matter. What matters is gun owners have been asleep at the switch for most of the Bush years, first term Obama didn’t do anything to wake them up, and these are the consequences. Those of us that follow this issue and shoot regularly are a small minority. Most only get involved in this issue when motivated by fear or anger.

We are not facing the anti-gun crowd, save Bloomberg. We’re facing the left-wing of the Democratic Party, and they mean to destroy us. They are betting this trend is real, that the country will be increasingly urban, left of center, and more in favor of gun control. They are betting the farm that we’re on our way to extinction. Are we?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Default Re: The Senate Fight Shaping Up

Yep, push back like the worst will happen. Keep contacting the reps. Don't count on or wait for others to do all the work. Don't hope for the best and do nothing. Let them know that we are paying attention, we do care, we believe in the Constitution and expect it to be followed.

Beyond this, whatever happens, I would encourage people to get involved in politics in the future, and work on the campaigns of the opponents of anyone who votes against the 2nd Amendment. Whether it's making phone calls, going door to door, whatever, lets make sure the gun grabbers do not stay in power for long. Let the representatives know there will be consequences for going against the constitution and we will work on getting them out of office. Just voting for the other person may not be enough. It may take getting other people out to vote against them to really make a difference.
    Last edited by internet troll; February 6th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Here's the re post of the link to contact Reps' quickly:
    http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Chester County)

This whole mess has encouraged me to get more involved in general.

I'll admit, I never paid attention to anything going on at the state level before and little at the federal. Now I'm watching every new bill (not just firearms stuff) and calling and/or writing, both in support and in opposition of everything I see.
    Last edited by PaTom; February 7th, 2013 at 06:43 AM.

I just received the aforementioned NRA email...an "Emergency Action Alert" from the NRA-ILA. I'm unable to share or post the link from my phone, but if you folks are signed up you'll probably be receiving it soon. Nothing really new in the guts of the message, just a sense of urgency to contact our reps and continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    Here's the re post of the link to contact Reps' quickly:
    http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/
    I really like this link. It's been a part of my daily correspondence "program", in addition to phone calls and individual emails. I like that it's been updated over the past couple days to show responses from representatives. A little transparency is a good thing.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by c&rlover View Post
    I really like this link. It's been a part of my daily correspondence "program", in addition to phone calls and individual emails. I like that it's been updated over the past couple days to show responses from representatives. A little transparency is a good thing.
    This IS a great link, I've used it before. Thanks for sharing.

However, I would also encourage everyone to personalize their messages to representatives, because most form letters and emails will just get thrown into the trash by the Congressman's staffers. Adding some individuality to the message and making it unique and stand out will likely make more of an impact.

And better yet, use the phone # provided by the NRA and call the reps office at the Capitol building. Typically when representatives get calls, their reception staff is required to log them, so they know who, when, and why they called, and whether or not the person is a constituent. Phone calls also stand a greater chance of getting responded to with more than just a form letter or email from the staffers. If you're persistent enough, often phone calls will get you a phone call back from a staffer, or possibly from the Senator/Representative himself. Take the time, make the calls, present your case; it will go a long way to making these Congressmen realize how serious we are.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

Just spoke with people in both Toomey, and my rep. Mike Fitzpatrick's offices; phone calls are big, they can't be ignored, they tie up staffers, they are instantaneous, they are counted, they matter!

CALL NOW. Not later, not tomorrow, now.

Also sent a bunch more e-mails, which with the forms on Popvox, NRA website etc... are easy to do, but coming directly from your own e-mail, I think is more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    This IS a great link, I've used it before. Thanks for sharing.

However, I would also encourage everyone to personalize their messages to representatives, because most form letters and emails will just get thrown into the trash by the Congressman's staffers. Adding some individuality to the message and making it unique and stand out will likely make more of an impact.

And better yet, use the phone # provided by the NRA and call the reps office at the Capitol building. Typically when representatives get calls, their reception staff is required to log them, so they know who, when, and why they called, and whether or not the person is a constituent. Phone calls also stand a greater chance of getting responded to with more than just a form letter or email from the staffers. If you're persistent enough, often phone calls will get you a phone call back from a staffer, or possibly from the Senator/Representative himself. Take the time, make the calls, present your case; it will go a long way to making these Congressmen realize how serious we are.
    Absolutely! I agree 100%. I like things like the Ruger link, the GOA alerts, etc. Quick and simple, and in my view great for boosting the pro-gun volume of emails. But I've always tried to to take the time to send personal emails in addition to these pre-generated messages. I'm still a firm believer in good ol' fashioned snail mail all timing considerations aside as well. And I enjoy the personal interaction with staffers on the phone, at least from the perspective that you know someone actually received your message. What they'll do with that message, who knows. But it's nice to know someone heard you. I've been respectfully hammering these guys everyday, both federal and state, and I don't see that letting up anytime soon.

(Bucks County)

Called and email Toomey, Casey and fitz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast