Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NRA Membership

(Chester County)

Default NRA Membership

With over 100 million gun owners in the USA there are now just 4.2-4.5 million members of the NRA. I read in another post the complaints of some about the performance of Wayne La Pierre on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace. All I heard was we need a new spokesperson and we to put someone else out front. My question is this; How come only 4.5 million members of the NRA. Are there freeloaders riding on the backs of us that contribute our time and our money to the NRA and to support the politicians that agree with our stand on the 2nd amendment?

What have you done lately to recruit new members. What have you done to make sure your representatives know where you stand and that you will show up to vote. How much have you done to educate to the ignorant among us that have no idea what the Constitution is and what it means to us in our every day lives. Have you showed up to school board meeting to make sure teachers unions and administrators teaching aren't your kids the wrong things like how to become a ward of the state.

I'm just asking those questions because it seems to me that like the rest of the sheeple out there there are way too many gun owners out there that rely too heavily on someone else doing the job that they should be doing themselves. I'm hearing here what I hear on other gun forums what is turnuing out to be a circular firing squad

Do we need good spokespeople? Yes. Are we satisfied with the ones we have? No. You Ron Paulers might not like this reference but Donald Rumsfeld when asked about some of the foul ups that were going at the beginning of the War in Iraq said " you have to go to war with army you have and not the army you wish you had". We have a full blown war on hands and we have to use every single political weapon we have and to start criticizing our leadership with no alternative is counter productive.

We'll have to ease more spokes people into place a little at a time but we can't abandon someone that been so important to our cause for long because you don't happen to like the way he responds to questions. Remember, if everyone had gotten out to vote instead of sitting on their hands at home we wouldn't be in this predicament right now. How the hell did Obama and Casey win in a state like this with so many gun voters available? How many of you were around when Tom Ridge our former governor voted for the original assault weapons when he was the US Representative from the Erie district? Both Wayne and i remember and i discussed it with him for a few minutes at the Philadelphia NRA convention.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: NRA Membership

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    With over 100 million gun owners in the USA there are now just 4.2-4.5 million members of the NRA. I read in another post the complaints of some about the performance of Wayne La Pierre on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace. All I heard was we need a new spokesperson and we to put someone else out front. My question is this; How come only 4.5 million members of the NRA. Are there freeloaders riding on the backs of us that contribute our time and our money to the NRA and to support the politicians that agree with our stand on the 2nd amendment?
    HOW DARE YOU!!!!! Let me lay it out for you, I'm MORE active than a majority of "NRA" members I know. In fact multiple NRA Members are MORE than happy to sell those evil black rifle owners down the river. I WAS a member, but NEVER AGAIN, well let me soften that, never again with out MAJOR reforms.

Let's look at our Heroic NRA shall we?

1) major part in authoring 1934 NFA taxing Automatics, Silencers, and short Barrels.
    2) 1968 Gun Control Act (GCA), waiting periods, no ammo through mail (this later repealed), FFL mandated Purchases, restrictions on where you can by guns (IE see a pistol you like while on vacation, tough buy it and we'll ship it to an FFL in your state), for the first time 'Sporting purpose' was assigned to the 2A and much much more.
    3) How about the 1988 gun laws modifications, banning new automatics on the register? as well as other 'reasonable' restrictions.
    4) The original 1994 AWB and Brady Bill, ohh yea their hand was in there too.
    5) Let's look at Heller Vs DC, they didn't want in on it till it looked like a lock to win THEN they wanted to take over the case.
    6) 2011/2012 Castle Doctrin in PA, WE here at PAFOA, and other grass roots orgs (don't want to list because if I missed one I'd never hear the end of it) got it passed in the House at the last minute. On the Senate, they had their own version AND the house version, our 'Friendly' NRA rep put pressure on the Senate leadership to tank the bills, they never saw the light of day thanks to him. We got it passed early in the next session contrary to their help.

There are many more, you want me to keep going?

Yea with friends like this who needs enimas? They keep up the fine work we won't have a 2A in another 50 years or less.
    Last edited by theshadow; February 5th, 2013 at 09:36 AM.

(York County)

Calling us "freeloaders" and "Ron Paulers" (like it is some contemptable thing to agree with the ideals of liberty and freedom and a limited Federal government) because we didn't join the NRA? This sounds very condescending and does nothing to make me want to run out and join the NRA.

I used to be a member, and I have contemplated joining again, but something in my gut has always stopped me. Perhaps it is the holier than thou attitude of "we are the only ones fighting for your gun rights". No, you aren't. Perhaps it is the fact that it is a lobby group. Lobby groups have caused so much corruption in Washington. How can I complain about the evils of lobby groups, then join one?
    Last edited by phoenix01; February 5th, 2013 at 09:40 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I was previously a member. Never renewed because 1) not a single issue voter, 2) disliked NRA support for 2nd amendment candidates that were otherwise awful human beings, 3) disliked NRAs ads full of sensationalism and lacking in facts, 4) wanted no association with any lobbying organization. Essentially, the NRA was not representing me as an individual.

To answer your questions:
    >> Are there freeloaders riding on the backs of us that contribute our time and our money to the NRA and to support the politicians that agree with our stand on the 2nd amendment?

I don't support most of the candidates the NRA lobbies and endorses. That includes McCain and Romney. I make direct contributions to the candidates I support.

>> What have you done to make sure your representatives know where you stand and that you will show up to vote.

I call, email, and visit them.

>> How much have you done to educate to the ignorant among us that have no idea what the Constitution is and what it means to us in our every day lives

I used to do a lot. Then I realized it was as effective as talking to inanimate objects. People are ingrained with their beliefs. Same as you-- you're no less ignorant than the 'others'. You just believe that you are right and they are wrong. You will never change your beliefs and neither will other people.

>> Have you showed up to school board meeting to make sure teachers unions and administrators teaching aren't your kids the wrong things like how to become a ward of the state.

Have no kids. If I did, they'd be home schooled.

It's interesting that you start talking about NRA membership, then question what people have done as individuals. Sounds like you're promoting NRA membership so people can defer to the NRA rather than do things on their own. Ironically, that's the same sort of collectivist mentality that is typical of liberals........

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post

What have you done lately to recruit new members. What have you done to make sure your representatives know where you stand and that you will show up to vote. How much have you done to educate to the ignorant among us that have no idea what the Constitution is and what it means to us in our every day lives. Have you showed up to school board meeting to make sure teachers unions and administrators teaching aren't your kids the wrong things like how to become a ward of the state.

I'm just asking those questions because it seems to me that like the rest of the sheeple out there there are way too many gun owners out there that rely too heavily on someone else doing the job that they should be doing themselves. I'm hearing here what I hear on other gun forums what is turnuing out to be a circular firing squad

Do we need good spokespeople? Yes. Are we satisfied with the ones we have? No. You Ron Paulers might not like this reference but Donald Rumsfeld when asked about some of the foul ups that were going at the beginning of the War in Iraq said " you have to go to war with army you have and not the army you wish you had". We have a full blown war on hands and we have to use every single political weapon we have and to start criticizing our leadership with no alternative is counter productive.

We'll have to ease more spokes people into place a little at a time but we can't abandon someone that been so important to our cause for long because you don't happen to like the way he responds to questions. Remember, if everyone had gotten out to vote instead of sitting on their hands at home we wouldn't be in this predicament right now. How the hell did Obama and Casey win in a state like this with so many gun voters available? How many of you were around when Tom Ridge our former governor voted for the original assault weapons when he was the US Representative from the Erie district? Both Wayne and i remember and i discussed it with him for a few minutes at the Philadelphia NRA convention.
    tell your NRA membership committee masters that this new recruitment tactic is going to fall on its face

(Washington County)

Here’s a challenge for all the NRA haters on this board. Join and then change the NRA to suit you. I am a life member and do not always agree with everything they do, but I vote for the board of directors ever year. I research each candidates’ bios to see if I agree with their stands. I make this same point to people that knock our government, but do not vote. My son is always complaining about Obama but did not vote. If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    Here’s a challenge for all the NRA haters on this board. Join and then change the NRA to suit you. I am a life member and do not always agree with everything they do, but I vote for the board of directors ever year. I research each candidates’ bios to see if I agree with their stands. I make this same point to people that knock our government, but do not vote. My son is always complaining about Obama but did not vote. If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.
    Belonging to the NRA alone is not the solution. I am very active locally, organized a petition drive to our Sheriff, serve as a Constable and am an Oathkeeper. I'll never send another nickel to an organization that pays its spokesman $850,000 per year and compromises on our inherent right to self defense.

There are other no compromise organizations- GOA and JPFO come to mind.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not an NRA hater. I disagree with it. I have no interest in trying to change an organization. Not only it would be futile, but I would be delusional to think that I could change an organization that endorsed Flip Flop Mitt.

I vote, but it's rare that I vote for anyone on the ballot since its usually full of garbage candidates. I find it funny when people think non-voters haven't 'earned' the right to complain about government. Ever consider that the system is the problem and not participating in the problem does earn you the right to complain? Ever consider that not voting for a candidate based on a single issue earns you the right to complain? Ever consider that not voting for whom lobbyist groups, political parties, and PACs tell you to vote for earns you the right to complain?

I say people that continue voting AGAINST a candidate out of compromise and fear are the PROBLEM and not the solution, and have no right to complain.

(Washington County)

Your right it is not the only group that deserves our support, but it is the one the antis are afaid of, and the stronger it gets the more effective it is. As far as the salary for Wayne goes look at the salaries of any other executive of a organazation of the size of the NRA. I am also a member of SAF. I tried being a member of GOA, but got tired of them constantly asking for more money. I was getting a petition every week from them and never saw anything postive happen because of it. I am not saying the NRA is perfect, but as of now they are most effective.

(Montgomery County)

Here’s a challenge for all the NRA haters on this board. Join and then change the NRA to suit you.
    So every organization you don't agree with, you should pay to join, so you can vote for their board of directors?

Not quite the same thing as voting for our government.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast