Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default LTCF expiry notifications

Hi All,

In as much as people from Northampton County read this subforum, I'd like to try to compile a list of persons in Northampton County that have NOT received a renewal notification for the License to Carry Firearms.

I know of several others who have not received any notice (as required by law), and I plan to make noise about the Sheriff failing to fulfill the law as required.

PM's are OK, or post to this topic if you like.

I plan on taking this to County Council, as well as reaching out to the Judges who appoint the Sheriff.

Thanks,

Darryl Snover

Default Re: LTCF expiry notifications

does lackawanna and/or luzerne county apply?

Not only is the sheriff supposed to notify you of renewal, but he is also supposed to include an application as well

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Not only is the sheriff supposed to notify you of renewal, but he is also supposed to include an application as well
    Actually, they're not really supposed to "remind" you at all. He/she is supposed to "send a renewal application". Of course, this will likely have the effect of "reminding" the licensee that it's time to renew. I suspect that most send the "reminder card" because a postcard is cheaper than first class postage (which would be required to send out an application). But nevertheless, it's not enough to satisfy the requirements of the law, and arguably violates the confidentiality that is supposed to apply to the process as well.

(f) Term of license.—

(1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless extended under paragraph (3) or sooner revoked.

(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) or any other provision of law to the contrary, a license to carry a firearm that is held by a member of the United States Armed Forces or the Pennsylvania National Guard on Federal active duty and deployed overseas that is scheduled to expire during the period of deployment shall be extended until 90 days after the end of the deployment.

(4) Possession of a license, together with a copy of the person's military orders showing the dates of overseas deployment, including the date that the overseas deployment ends, shall constitute, during the extension period specified in paragraph (3), a defense to any charge filed pursuant to section 6106 (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) or 6108 (relating to carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Actually, they're not really supposed to "remind" you at all. He/she is supposed to "send a renewal application". Of course, this will likely have the effect of "reminding" the licensee that it's time to renew. I suspect that most send the "reminder card" because a postcard is cheaper than first class postage (which would be required to send out an application). But nevertheless, it's not enough to satisfy the requirements of the law, and arguably violates the confidentiality that is supposed to apply to the process as well.
    Yes, and we're paying enough within the application fee to cover the cost of first-class postage and an envelope, so it's not an unfunded mandate.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
    (h) Fee.--
    (i) A renewal notice processing fee of $1.50.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Northampton County)

OK, so back to the original question: Who here has renewed their LTCF within the last couple of years, but failed to get a renewal application/notice in the mail?

Again, my purpose is to shed light on the Sheriff, who is not following the law.

(Northampton County)

Well, not only do you NOT get a notice of renewal, Northampton County does not process it as a renewal!

When I went in near my LTCF expiration date, I was told point blank that the sheriff does not renew. It is processed as if it were a new license.

Quote Originally Posted by John-Pa View Post
    Well, not only do you NOT get a notice of renewal, Northampton County does not process it as a renewal!

When I went in near my LTCF expiration date, I was told point blank that the sheriff does not renew. It is processed as if it were a new license.
    There really isn't a "renewed" LTCF, except for the little check box on the LTCF. Some sheriffs do not require references for renewal, but other than that, the process is the same.

You also get a different LTCF number when renewing.

Let me make sure I understand you. You want people to provide their names and information who have applied for LTFCs? Are you joking?

Why not just ask for credit card numbers and bank accounts?

Don't take offense but there is no way in hell I would provide my personal info online or through a PM. Hopefully your intentions are honest and legitimate but most here don't know where the information is going or where it will end up. What you will have in the end is a handy list of handgun owners that could be lost or misplaced and found by someone who shouldn't have it.

Judges appoint the sheriff in Northampton County? Aren't they elected like the rest of the counties in the state?
    Last edited by MT1; February 12th, 2013 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Let me make sure I understand you. You want people to provide their names and information who have applied for LTFCs? Are you joking?

Why not just ask for credit card numbers and bank accounts?

Don't take offense but there is no way in hell I would provide my personal info online or through a PM. Hopefully your intentions are honest and legitimate but most here don't know where the information is going.

Judges appoint the sheriff in Northampton County? Aren't they're elected like the rest of the counties in the state?
    too funny. how do we even know op isn't some kinda gumment organization rep trying to sucker us onto his list. heh. j/k op...or am I? lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast