Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default LTCF expiry notification?

OK, my search skills are apparently lacking, and if the answer is here, I'm happy to be pointed in the right direction.

PA DOT notifies you when your drivers license is about to expire, giving you time to get it renewed.

Is there any legal requirement for the (county?) to notify that your LTCF is expiring?

-Darryl

(York County)

Default Re: LTCF expiry notification?

Quote Originally Posted by dsnover View Post
    OK, my search skills are apparently lacking, and if the answer is here, I'm happy to be pointed in the right direction.

PA DOT notifies you when your drivers license is about to expire, giving you time to get it renewed.

Is there any legal requirement for the (county?) to notify that your LTCF is expiring?

-Darryl

Yes...

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(f) Term of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless extended under paragraph (3) or sooner revoked.
    (2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...6109/licenses/

I wouldn't rely on it though. Too many Sheriff's have been known not to take this seriously.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

OK, excellent. It's unfortunate that there's no penalty for them NOT notifying, but nonetheless, I'm going to make an issue of it.

(Lycoming County)

I did not receive my notice in lycoming county so I asked when I went in to renew and was told if you move they don't follow you. Could be the same in your county.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

It's the bold part below you really need to concern yourself with. Don't just assume you're ok because the sheriff didn't do what he is supposed to do. The one to get in trouble will be YOU with an expired LTCF. The expiration date is on your license, just take care of it regardless of whether or not they send you the form. It can be printed off the internet and filled out at home anyway.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(f) Term of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless extended under paragraph (3) or sooner revoked.
    (2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

To point you to the answer... Top of the page, click "reference library."

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by hertz View Post
    It's the bold part below you really need to concern yourself with. Don't just assume you're ok because the sheriff didn't do what he is supposed to do. The one to get in trouble will be YOU with an expired LTCF. The expiration date is on your license, just take care of it regardless of whether or not they send you the form. It can be printed off the internet and filled out at home anyway.

To point you to the answer... Top of the page, click "reference library."
    I'm not overly concerned. I'll renew as I'm supposed to. However, I've NOT received (nor have at least 3 others in Northampton County that I've spoken with) any notification.

Therefore, as much as I possibly can, I will make noise to the judges who appoint the Sherriff, to the County Council, etc, that the office of the Sherriff is failing to obey the law, pointing out the specific provisions where duty is not being fulfilled.

-Darryl Snover

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by CPratt View Post
    I did not receive my notice in lycoming county so I asked when I went in to renew and was told if you move they don't follow you. Could be the same in your county.
    Perhaps, but I haven't moved. Nor have other family members who have not been properly notified.

This appears to be a problem with Northampton County.

Next question: According to the above cited document, the PA State Police are the ones who prescribe the form contents. Again, my google-fu is lacking, so can someone point me to the State Police form requirements?

(And a lmgtfy.com answer is always welcome...
    Last edited by dsnover; February 6th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.

(Lycoming County)

Yeah, I never recieved a notice from Lycoming county either. Mine expired in January. Went in before Christmas and renewed.

Although not required by law, if you move, you should notify your LTCF-issuing sheriff so he can forward you the renewal notice and application when the time comes.

If that particular sheriff does what he is supposed to do

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Not only is the sheriff supposed to notify you of renewal, but he is also supposed to include an application as well
    Actually, they're not really supposed to "remind" you at all. He/she is supposed to "send a renewal application". Of course, this will likely have the effect of "reminding" the licensee that it's time to renew. I suspect that most send the "reminder card" because a postcard is cheaper than first class postage (which would be required to send out an application). But nevertheless, it's not enough to satisfy the requirements of the law, and arguably violates the confidentiality that is supposed to apply to the process as well.

(f) Term of license.—

(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) or any other provision of law to the contrary, a license to carry a firearm that is held by a member of the United States Armed Forces or the Pennsylvania National Guard on Federal active duty and deployed overseas that is scheduled to expire during the period of deployment shall be extended until 90 days after the end of the deployment.

(4) Possession of a license, together with a copy of the person's military orders showing the dates of overseas deployment, including the date that the overseas deployment ends, shall constitute, during the extension period specified in paragraph (3), a defense to any charge filed pursuant to section 6106 (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) or 6108 (relating to carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast