Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default .357 Magnum/.40 cal Honest Thoughts?

Whenever you read this can you please give a real opinion wither its good or bad as long as its honest and not feeding a $1000 ego. Basically I am choosing between a few guns I want opinions on from people with honest thoughts not someone who will call any gun crappy because its not $800.

I am stuck between a few guns, I am looking at some handguns if any of you have any experience with any of these guns please let me know maybe it will make my choice clearer.

So here are the guns I am looking at :

Smith and Wesson SD40 VE
    The reason I am looking at this gun is because it has a capacity of 14+1 and its .40 cal which isn't too bad but the capacity is what really draws me into this gun. I have seen a good bit of reviews many claiming it to be as good as a glock just cheaper. The overall look of the gun looks pretty decent other than some complains on the trigger pull it looks like a good buy to me.

EEA WINDICATOR(.357mag) or ROSSI (.357mag)
    I was also looking for a .357 magnum revolver. Both the rossi and eea windicator are in the same price range so it really does not matter to me which one it is, I want to know which brand is better. I am interested in the .357 for the pure fact its known or at least still considered the #1 man stopper based on old reports and revolvers hardly ever jam which is a good thing. If I was to get the EEA WINDICATOR it would be the 4inch barrel.

If I was to get the ROSSI I am going for the 6 inch barrel rossi .357 magnum, I just wanted to know if these guns are good for the price. I have seen videos/reviews and haven't herd anything to bad but then again not many people on youtube have videos on these so I am basing this off about 5 videos.

CONCERNS
    I really really really would rather have the ROSSI 6in barrel .357magnum if its a good buy meaning it works. My concern, is 6 shots of .357 magnum enough for SD would you think? The only reason why I keep thinking about the S&W is because it holds 14+1 but I really like the .357 even though it has 6 shots.

Anybody have any knowledge of these firearms? I like big guns so don't bring up concealment thats not something I am worried about, the quality and the revolver holding only 6 rounds is what I am debating about.
    Last edited by ICEN; February 5th, 2013 at 09:19 PM.

Default Re: .357 Magnum/.40 cal Honest Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ICEN View Post
    My concern, is 6 shots of .357 magnum enough for SD would you think?
    As long as you're a good shot and there are no more than 6 bad guys, it is enough.

Rossi is now under Taurus and is a good revolver. Many people happy with them. I looked at one by happenstance and thought how well the finish was on it.

As far as the S&W, some people like them and some don't. The only way I'd compare one to a Glock is they both have kind of a clanky feel, but under no circumstances would I take one over a Glock if I was going into battle, and BTW, I don't believe anyone today is producing a crappy full size polymer pistol, but in my opinion, the one you are looking at is close. Look around, there are other guns in that price range that are very good. If you still like the Smith, then go for it.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Crawford County)

If I may....

My first self defense handgun was a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm full size. I carried it daily, and put close to 1,000 rounds through it in the brief time I had it. The ONE time I actually needed the bloody thing, it jammed on me. Not something I really needed to deal with when facing a rabid animal, let me tell you.

So I sold the pistol to the first dealer to offer me a decent deal (good Mossberg pump shotgun in 12ga. plus a bit of cash). Spent some time researching and reading reviews and like you, settled on the .357 magnum round as my next caliber of choice. In addition to being a proven man stopper, I also like the flexibility of being able to use .38SP for target practice. Now, like you, I needed to find a handgun in my chosen caliber.

In my searches, I dug up a couple of Ruger single actions, a Windicator with a 4" barrel, a Taurus or two, and a Rossi. I missed out on the Tauruses (Tauri?) due to economic screwups, skipped over a couple of Ruger GP100s due to price, and blew past the single action revolvers because I didn't like how they get loaded.

Then I actually put my hands on a Rossi 972. Double action, stainless steel, 6" barrel....it was love at first grip. The balance is absolutely beautiful, she points like a finger, the fully adjustable rear sight is a lovely gift on such a reasonably priced gun. The only thing I intend to change is the grip, and that is only because I prefer wooden grips (like rosewood). The stock rubber grips feel very nice in my hands, it just a bit of ascetic choice for me.

My first day of firing saw 100 rounds of Blazer 158gr. .38SP LRN. Revolver got sighted in within the first 24 rounds, and the rest saw a 4" grouping at 25 yards. And that is more my lack of practice and skill. The revolver outshoots me every time. I also put 12 rounds of 158gr. .357mag JHP through the gun, felt very little difference in the "kick" between the two different calibers. Although I will say .357 has a much louder 'bang', ha ha ha!

I have since had the opportunity to fire a Taurus and a Ruger. I honestly prefer my Rossi over the other two. She feels like a natural extension of my hand, much like my blades. I can fire her either one-handed or in weaver stance with very accurately. The double action trigger pull does take some getting used to, but that goes for any revolver. Single action trigger is a mere thought away from firing, so be very sure of where you have the gun pointed before pulling that hammer back.

I am working on finding some wood to make a custom grip, but again that's for personal taste. I've decided to make my Rossi stand out a bit, and put a custom grip with inset panels displaying some unique artwork. She'll be a real one of a kind when I'm done with her, something worthy of willing to somebody I like when I hit the Great Beyond. I'm sure the gun will last that long.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    As long as you're a good shot and there are no more than 6 bad guys, it is enough.
    Of course, if there were 7, you could boomerang it when you ran out of ammo.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Crawford County)

Of course, if there were 7, you could boomerang it when you ran out of ammo.
    Get a stainless steel barrel of decent length, and just beat them to death! I say stainless cause they're a bit easier to clean afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by brsims View Post
    If I may....

My first self defense handgun was a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm full size. I carried it daily, and put close to 1,000 rounds through it in the brief time I had it. The ONE time I actually needed the bloody thing, it jammed on me. Not something I really needed to deal with when facing a rabid animal, let me tell you.

So I sold the pistol to the first dealer to offer me a decent deal (good Mossberg pump shotgun in 12ga. plus a bit of cash). Spent some time researching and reading reviews and like you, settled on the .357 magnum round as my next caliber of choice. In addition to being a proven man stopper, I also like the flexibility of being able to use .38SP for target practice. Now, like you, I needed to find a handgun in my chosen caliber.

In my searches, I dug up a couple of Ruger single actions, a Windicator with a 4" barrel, a Taurus or two, and a Rossi. I missed out on the Tauruses (Tauri?) due to economic screwups, skipped over a couple of Ruger GP100s due to price, and blew past the single action revolvers because I didn't like how they get loaded.

Then I actually put my hands on a Rossi 972. Double action, stainless steel, 6" barrel....it was love at first grip. The balance is absolutely beautiful, she points like a finger, the fully adjustable rear sight is a lovely gift on such a reasonably priced gun. The only thing I intend to change is the grip, and that is only because I prefer wooden grips (like rosewood). The stock rubber grips feel very nice in my hands, it just a bit of ascetic choice for me.

My first day of firing saw 100 rounds of Blazer 158gr. .38SP LRN. Revolver got sighted in within the first 24 rounds, and the rest saw a 4" grouping at 25 yards. And that is more my lack of practice and skill. The revolver outshoots me every time. I also put 12 rounds of 158gr. .357mag JHP through the gun, felt very little difference in the "kick" between the two different calibers. Although I will say .357 has a much louder 'bang', ha ha ha!

I have since had the opportunity to fire a Taurus and a Ruger. I honestly prefer my Rossi over the other two. She feels like a natural extension of my hand, much like my blades. I can fire her either one-handed or in weaver stance with very accurately. The double action trigger pull does take some getting used to, but that goes for any revolver. Single action trigger is a mere thought away from firing, so be very sure of where you have the gun pointed before pulling that hammer back.

I am working on finding some wood to make a custom grip, but again that's for personal taste. I've decided to make my Rossi stand out a bit, and put a custom grip with inset panels displaying some unique artwork. She'll be a real one of a kind when I'm done with her, something worthy of willing to somebody I like when I hit the Great Beyond. I'm sure the gun will last that long.
    I was looking at a few 6 inch barrels and some of the other revolvers looked kind of weird and didn't fit my taste/style. I personally like the look of the rossi you mentioned that is the same exact one I was looking for, I do not know if gun shops carry those or If I would have to order it online though I guess I'll have to look. Ya I really want the .357 mag over the S&W I just wanted to make sure that the rossi is a alright brand. There are a couple reasons why I wanted the 6 in barrel, #1 I can sight in better #2 max potential in the bullet #3 the fear factor of just pulling that gun out with a big barrel #4 I personally just like bigger barreled revolvers I think they look bad ass if I must say. The first thought that comes to mind when I see a big barrel is "I don't want shot with that lol".

Did you get your Rossi at a gun shop or online just curious? I'll go check some of my gun shops out, I'll just have to figure out how to buy it online and get the transfer set up if I can't find one. I can always get a more expensive gun in the future but for now that revolver is looking like food to me and I am starving to say the least. Plus saying .357 is catchy, I personally hate the classic old looking revolvers which is why I like how the rossi 6 inch looks.
    Last edited by ICEN; February 5th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.

Rossi is now under Taurus and is a good revolver. Many people happy with them. I looked at one by happenstance and thought how well the finish was on it.

As far as the S&W, some people like them and some don't. The only way I'd compare one to a Glock is they both have kind of a clanky feel, but under no circumstances would I take one over a Glock if I was going into battle, and BTW, I don't believe anyone today is producing a crappy full size polymer pistol, but in my opinion, the one you are looking at is close. Look around, there are other guns in that price range that are very good. If you still like the Smith, then go for it.
    Oh yes I agree if someone said either take S&W or the Glock I would go for the glock as well, I was just saying people compare it to a cheaper glock because they say its reliable just like one and holds alot of rounds, the look is decent to me also.

I carry a Ruger GP100 with 2 speed loaders = 18rds of .357 Hydra-shok goodness. With practice you can get real good at using those speedloaders. I'm sure there's better ways to do it but I practice reloading in a dark room so I have to do it by feel and not sight. I don't want to be fumbling around in the dark when I'm trying to stay alive.

I love carrying a revolver and will continue to do so.
    Tea actually...I'll kill you with my tea cup.

You could get one of these.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by ICEN View Post
    I was looking at a few 6 inch barrels and some of the other revolvers looked kind of weird and didn't fit my taste/style. I personally like the look of the rossi you mentioned that is the same exact one I was looking for, I do not know if gun shops carry those or If I would have to order it online though I guess I'll have to look. Ya I really want the .357 mag over the S&W I just wanted to make sure that the rossi is a alright brand. There are a couple reasons why I wanted the 6 in barrel, #1 I can sight in better #2 max potential in the bullet #3 the fear factor of just pulling that gun out with a big barrel #4 I personally just like bigger barreled revolvers I think they look bad ass if I must say. The first thought that comes to mind when I see a big barrel is "I don't want shot with that lol".

Did you get your Rossi at a gun shop or online just curious? I'll go check some of my gun shops out, I'll just have to figure out how to buy it online and get the transfer set up if I can't find one. I can always get a more expensive gun in the future but for now that revolver is looking like food to me and I am starving to say the least. Plus saying .357 is catchy, I personally hate the classic old looking revolvers which is why I like how the rossi 6 inch looks.
    My Rossi 972 is both my daily carry AND my conceal carry weapon.

I was lucky enough to find it at a somewhat local gun shop. Only had to drive 45 minutes one way. Paid $399 +tax & transfer, total came out to $430 even.

And yes, having it as an open carry is an excellent deterrent. There are one or two people here in town that I don't trust behind me under any circumstances. They sneered at my old 9mm. Now they move across the street to get away from my .357. And no, I don't do anything stupid. Just occassionally walk through the downtown area with my gun on my belt, taking care of regular errands.

I don't normally carry open (YET!), cause I'm still getting comfortable with the whole thing. But I do carry everyday. Just normally concealed. Concealing a weapon of this size isn't all that easy for most people, but I'm lucky enough to stand 6'2" in my socks, and have a pretty broad build. I can hide a bigger gun than this, if I have to. Which is handy, since my next purchase may be a Rossi Ranch Hand in .357. They count as handguns in PA, so they are covered by my LTCF, ha ha ha!!

Just remember, speed loaders can make you almost as quick on the reload as swapping magazines. And most larger caliber semi-automatics (.45 and the like) don't have much more capacity than a revolver...and I'd rather have my heavy-assed full steel frame revolver in hand rather than some lightweight half polymer pistol. Steel [I]hurts[I] when you get hit with it!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast