Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Huntingdon County)

Default Hollidaysburg and Bellwood Sportsmen - Questions about the ranges.

Hey all,
    I am your neighbor from over in Huntingdon!
    Last time I was at my local range I was informed that they are doing away with the guest policy and they are instituiting a "only guns you are allowed to hunt with in PA" range restriction (so no garands, carbines, ARs, AKs, etc.).
    Having nieces and nephews and friends who I like to take shooting to introduce them to a fun hobby, the no guest rule really is a nut kicker.
    The range restriction is the nail in the coffin that I need to go elsewhere. Over half of my shooting time is spent shooting the AR/AK platforms, garands, m1 carbines, 10/22s, etc.

So with that said, I am testing the waters!

I am looking for a range that:

- is semi-guest friendly. I have young nieces and nephews, friends who are not into shooting and want to learn or see what it is about, a wife that shoots maybe 3-4 times a year. I shoot maybe 15-20 times a year. Majority of the time I am alone, but sometimes I end up bringing someone to shoot a few rounds and enjoy my hobby and learn. Not trying to skirt the system, just curious how the guest system works for someone who may only shoot a couple shots a couple times a year.

- AR/AK/semi-auto friendly. I am a responsible owner, police my brass (or steel lol), and am NOT NOT NOT interested in bumpfiring away 40 bucks or shooting up target posts. Double taps might be about as crazy as I get on a target lol otherwise it is too pricey and not interesting to go blazing away.

- 200 yard range would be nice, but would settle for 100 only.

- FRIENDLY. This is a big one. I like to go and shoot and just enjoy myself and just enjoy a day out. I am pretty quiet but friendly to talk to and an a gun enthusiast, so I love chatting with like minded folks. I am not looking for drama, yelling, unhappiness, loudmouth idiots, know it alls, people who feel that semi-auto guns are the spawns of Satan and should be banned and burned, etc.

Bellwood Sportsmen and Hollidaysburg Sportsmen are about the same distance from me - so those are the 2 that I am looking for info on.

I have a little info on both, but would love more info on both of them.
    Thanks guys!
    (Things like price would be nice to know too - I know H-burg is $50 single, $75 family but I am clueless on Bellwood).

Feel free to PM me or post here.
    Last edited by bigdog02; February 6th, 2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling

(Blair County)

Default Re: Hollidaysburg and Bellwood Sportsmen - Questions about the ranges.

I beleive bellwood is 20 a year. It is semi friendly. They also have cmp shoots there.

(Blair County)

Hollidaysburg is nice, the people I have met have all been friendly and polite. They have 100 and 200 rifle range...200 is up hill a little. Ive been a member for a year. Not really sure on the guest policy, but most private ranges are members only for insurance reasons. I never asked. I put me and girlfriend on a family membership and never taken anyone else. I also this year joined Gallitzen sportsmans club. Heard it was a nice range, AR friendly, and only 15$ a year. Not a whole lot farther then hburg is for me.

(Bucks County)

Hi Big

I have been a member at Shenecoy Sportsman for the last few years .. I mainly shoot hand gun .. I know we had talked awhile back ....

Let me know what you decide range wise, Maybe I will check into the range also .. I am taking early retirement and should be up my place in Hesston alot this coming Spring

Brian

(Blair County)

Hollidaysburg Sportsmans Club has everything you asked for.

Monthly meeting is Monday night at 6:30. Show up and ask any futher questions and you can join then if you want. They host USPSA, IDPA and 3 Gun matches, as well as .22 shoots and other various events as well.
    I can take an assbeating like its nobodys business" - Doug Bryant

(Huntingdon County)

Smile Re: Hollidaysburg and Bellwood Sportsmen - Questions about the ranges.

Thanks everyone for all the response both here and via PM. Got lots of firsthand info from folks.
    I think BOTH clubs would work out okay for me - both clubs for the mist part have what I was looking for. I will most likely check both of them out and see what I think and go from there.
    Thanks everyone, and keep them coming if you have more info or are a member at those clubs are are looking for someone else to shoot with!

(Huntingdon County)

Shenecoy Sportsmen has constructed new backstops at 25, 50, 100, and 200 yds. Bring your own targets and staple to backstops. We are working on some sort of metal plates, should be in use by spring. Dues is $40/year single, and $50/year family and guest. Any new ideas are welcome, meeting is 3rd Wed of every month at 7:00.

(Huntingdon County)

Yup, I have stuck with Shenecoy. I read the new rules and was really pleased with the direction they went.

The $50 family and guest is a fantastic deal, and I have already used it a couple times this year.

Have had no issues shooting up there at all.

The backstops are great, and the maintenance has been great.
    Just a great place to shoot.

(Blair County)

Just came from Bellwood Sportsmans Club today.

Boards are coming loose on the benches. Grass past 100 yard line is waist tall.
    No one seems to know exactly what distance the berms/targets are at. Definitely not marked.

Range is not being taken care of, and it's a shame!!!

If any from Bellwood Sportsmans I would highly recommend getting a new care taker!!!

Let me know when voting on it!!