Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CC in my Yard

(Delaware County)

Question CC in my Yard

Good afternoon all. First time poster. I have spent a few hours searching the archives and can not find an answer, so I'm asking:

Situation - I have applied for my LTCF and am waiting for it. I'm in my house, breaking in my IWB for my new carry gun with my shirt over (covering) it. All is legal in my Castle. The dog (75 pounds of very insistent German Shepard puppy) has to go - NOW - so I take him out on the front yard to do his business without unholstering. Am I breaking the law when I
    1. step out the door?
    2. hit the sidewalk?
    3. get in the car (in the driveway) to grab my jacket?
    Where does my home stop and "public" begin?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: CC in my Yard

just uncover it and you will be good to go on your property or not, unless you live in a city of the first class (philadelphia)

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Good afternoon all. First time poster. I have spent a few hours searching the archives and can not find an answer, so I'm asking:

Situation - I have applied for my LTCF and am waiting for it. I'm in my house, breaking in my IWB for my new carry gun with my shirt over (covering) it. All is legal in my Castle. The dog (75 pounds of very insistent German Shepard puppy) has to go - NOW - so I take him out on the front yard to do his business without unholstering. Am I breaking the law when I
    1. step out the door? IF CONCEALED IT IS ILLEGAL WITHOUT A LTCF
    2. hit the sidewalk? IF CONCEALED IT IS ILLEGAL WITHOUT A LTCF
    3. get in the car (in the driveway) to grab my jacket? ILLEGAL WITHOUT A LTCF WHETHER OPENLY OR CONCEALED
    Where does my home stop and "public" begin?

It stops at your door for concealed.

You can carry concealed without a LTCF in your home. Step outside your door and 6106(a)'s prohibition takes affect. You can open carry without a LTCF. Except, you must have a LTCF to open carry on public domain in Philly - so, you can open carry on your property without a LTCF.

(a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 5th, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Knight is correct, "in" the home doesn't mean "on" your property, it means "in" the dwelling. It's not about whether you're in public or not; when sitting in your car, you're not in public, you may not even be concealing. The words of the statutes trump any general sense that you can't carry concealed in public but you can carry on your own property or in private. You can't conceal without an LTCF in your brother's living room, because that's not your home. Neither is your back yard.

Some here will tell you that you can carry concealed anywhere on your property. They may cite some cases out-of-context to "prove" their point.

Those folks are wrong.

And if you're arrested they will not step up and cover your legal expenses, or protect your family after you lose all of your gun rights.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lehigh County)

Wow... good question OP and good replies. I learned something new today.
    "These Romans are crazy!"

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: CC in my Yard

Thanks, gunlawyer. I do not live in Philly (near, not in), so that's not an issue, but I don't know that I want the neighbors knowing I have it, and it's kinda hard to miss a pearl-handled 1911. If SWMBO wants me to take her dog out, she's just gonna have to hold my gun til my LTCF comes (puns most definitely intended ).

Can't conceal on your own property without a ltcf, how is that allowed, you can conceal in nj on your own property without a ltcf
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Thanks, gunlawyer. I do not live in Philly (near, not in), so that's not an issue, but I don't know that I want the neighbors knowing I have it, and it's kinda hard to miss a pearl-handled 1911. If SWMBO wants me to take her dog out, she's just gonna have to hold my gun til my LTCF comes (puns most definitely intended ).
    You could always have her cover you with a rifle from the upstairs window while you're out.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Props to Knight for enlightening me and GL for driving it home. I, too, learned something new today. I live in Philly and in an apt so it didn't apply to me but my gf's dad is applying for his LTCF in Bucks, has a dog, yard, and an anti-gun neighbor so I will be sure to make him aware of these rules.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
    Can't conceal on your own property without a ltcf, how is that allowed, you can conceal in nj on your own property without a ltcf

Different state. Different laws.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast