Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Looking for a few good .308's

So happens I have a substantial amount of 7.62x51 ammo lying around, but currently own no such platform to use it with. I like .308/7.62 NATO and I don't want this ammo to go to waste. I was originally shooting this stuff out of an Ishapore 2A1 which I sold quite a few years ago, and I'm now I'm thinking on getting another rifle chambered in the same so's I can use up some of this old ammo.

I'm very drawn to Ruger's Gunsite Scout with the 10rd mag. This gun is made for both the NATO and the higher pressure 308 hunting rounds if I'm not mistaken. I'm rather set on finding a rifle which can handle both safely. Spanish Mausers are attractive, but I've been reading things about them and the way-cool FN 49 rifles which are disappointing as far as what I might be able to shoot out of it and still be safe. I kind of want something very similar to the Ruger, but I haven't been able to find one after days of searching. I've heard if there's one former military rifle that will handle both, it's the Enfield...but I'm not sure if I want to go back there! Don't get me wrong, I really like the Enfield, but I might want to use something more modern. A full fledged modernized L1A1 or clone is a bit clunky and I'm concerned about upcoming bans and all that. I've also been looking at CZ's manlicher-stocked 550 in .308, which I think is one sweet little mama. But it does of course lack the capacity. I like the idea of a battle rifle which doubles as a deer rifle...or vica versa.

Does anyone have any other ideas? You can probably tell by now what type of thing I'm after. Honestly, the Ruger Scout is kind of "it" for me as far as style goes!!! But is there anything else along those lines I might want to consider?
    Last edited by FJW; February 4th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Looking for a few good .308's

If looking into a sporterized verison of an old mauser..look into the sweedes. They were known for some of the best rifles and material of the day and should easily be able to handle a .308

Other countries I am not so sure about but the strength of the sweedes is good to go from the reading I have done about this issue...

The Ruger is a great gun btw!
    Last edited by Svickstc; February 4th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Over the years I have aquired boxes, cases, old crumbling cartons, paper bags, rusty tin cans, and dirty old wodden cases of diffrent 308/7.62x51 ammo. There is ammo from China, Israle,Malasia,Austria,Germany, USA, and a few I can't remember. I have used it in a Ruger 77MKII, a couple of Remington 700's, an Armalite AR10, a couple of Springfield M1a"s, standard and select fire, a Remington 7600,and a 1919A4. I have had some failures to fire along the way and a few hangfires with the really old dirty stuff, but all the firearms still function well. After some time there was copper fouling that had to be removed. But other than regular cleaning after use was all that was required. The only firearm that has to use "special" ammo is a Remington 40XB target rifle. Unless the rifle in question is some foreign piece that took the ride here from some unknown place in the bilge of an old rusty tramp steamer I don't think you will have any troubles. Of course I am a little slanted in thinking that the stuff made here is better that the stuff made there...
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Erie County)

Of course I am a little slanted in thinking that the stuff made here is better that the stuff made there...[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily true, in a lot of cases American manufacturers tend to load down for liability reasons. To prove the point, Shoot some of the foreign made 8x57 ammo then some American made, there is a substancial differance.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
    Of course I am a little slanted in thinking that the stuff made here is better that the stuff made there...
    Not necessarily true, in a lot of cases American manufacturers tend to load down for liability reasons. To prove the point, Shoot some of the foreign made 8x57 ammo then some American made, there is a substancial differance.[/QUOTE]

One example does not cover your blanket statement. US Ammo is loaded to specific specs and is not underpowered. What is dumb is chambering a rifle that can't handle regular .308....oh I mean High Pressure .308......Geeez.
    The liberals won't be happy until they control you.

(Perry County)

If you like lever actions and magazines (or clip thingies, if you are a Senator) then why not a Winchester 88? 5 shot mag, lever action, quick handling, all the advantages of a 30-30 lever gun but with the very useful .308 cartridges.

(York County)

If you can wait about 2 months or so, Mossberg will be releasing their MVP in .308.
    You can find reviews on the web. Retail should run about $ 650, and use standard M14 magazines. Personally, I can't wait.

You could also look for a Browning BLR .308 ( Browning's lever action, box magazine fed lever action. Similar to the Winchester 88, but with an exposed hammer and rotating bolt face.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DClan; February 5th, 2013 at 09:31 PM.

(Butler County)

I believe Savage make a bolt gun in 308. Fairly cheap and reliable. Can be used for hunting too.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by mgs View Post
    Not necessarily true, in a lot of cases American manufacturers tend to load down for liability reasons. To prove the point, Shoot some of the foreign made 8x57 ammo then some American made, there is a substancial differance.
    One example does not cover your blanket statement. US Ammo is loaded to specific specs and is not underpowered. What is dumb is chambering a rifle that can't handle regular .308....oh I mean High Pressure .308......Geeez.[/QUOTE]

It is very common that the US Ammo is loaded to specific specs is under powered. I just stated that your statement was not necessarily true and one example does substanciate that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast