Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Looking for a 9mm pocket auto

I am looking at trading in my Bersa Thunder .380 CC that I pocket and IWB carry, for a 9mm in a similar size. My budget is currently only about 350 but once I sell my Bersa it will prob be around 550-600.

What does everyone recommend? I would prefer a manual safety on a pocket auto, just because of the nature of pocket carrying. Most pocket holsters I like are softer and I just prefer that extra level in the case of pocket carrying. With that in mind here are the options I've considered:

Taurus PT709 - Mixed reviews on it. Not sure about reliability of Taurus, I know some on here are fans.

Ruger LC9 - I know some aren't a fan of the trigger, I personally don't mind a bit of a long trigger. Also very good price point, if I can find one. Actually actively looking for one right now, sort of the direction I'm leaning.

Sig P938 - I love the look of this gun, and it seems it would be great for concealing in a pocket. I'm not sure how I feel about carrying a cocked and locked pistol in the pocket. I haven't held one up close, so maybe the hammer is designed to protect from this, but I would worry about the hammer jabbing out against my pocket, also worry about lint and stuff getting under the hammer and effected reliability.

Any other suggestions or thoughts on my current considerations?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Looking for a 9mm pocket auto

I have the Kahr CM9...it just borders on pocket carry size...depending on how big you are that is.

(Allegheny County)

Another vote for the Kahr CM9. Springfield is coming out with there new XDS 9MM if you want to wait to see if you like it. The Diamond Back 9MM is another option smaller than the Kahr CM9 but I heard they are problematic so research is a must on this one.

Finally there is the continued everlasting wait for Glock to come out with a pocket single stack 9MM.....
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Westmoreland County)

I had a CW9 for awhile... it was OK, wasn't a huge fan. I held a CM9 yesterday, definitely a compact little guy. Still would prefer something with a manual safety or grip safety with respect to pocket carry. If I were looking for a slim IWB carry I'd prob revisit the CW9/CM9.

(Delaware County)

I have a Sig P938, and a Ruger LC9.

The Ruger LC9 trigger is heavy and gets some getting use to. I also am not a big fan of the sights. The dots are real small and hard for me to see. I have been playing with the idea of getting those XS big dots for them. Otherwise the LC9 is 100% reliable, and its a good 9mm pocket gun for the price range.

I unfortnately have a love/hate with my P938. I upgraded from a P238 .380 to the 9mm P938. The size and weight are not that much different, and I always found the P238 was a little heavy for a pocket .380 but the P938 is a great size and weight for a 9mm pocket gun. The Sig nightsights are great, and the rosewood verison looks awesome. However for some reason every time I shoot a mag out of he P938 I would get a flyer and the gun is not 100% yet. I'm still within that 200 break in period, so I hope it will work its way thru it. Also I wish Sig gave the option of a left or right side safety. The double sided ambi safety makes the gun thicker then it should be.
    Last edited by theyoungone; February 4th, 2013 at 10:57 AM.

(Perry County)

I had this debate with myself very recently as well. I ended up deciding on a S&W Shield9. It is a bit thicker which takes it out of the running for pocket carry IMO, but it just felt so much more comfortable in my hand than any of the smaller pocket 9mm's. Plus, I came to the realization that most of my pants have pockets that are too tight to make pocket carry very realistic right now. So, once I decided on IWB the decision became easy for me to go with a Shield over any of the thinner options (Kahr, Ruger, Kel-Tec, etc).

If I were going to go with any of the thinner 'pocket' 9's, it would have had to be the Kahr CM9 hands down (or PM9 if you wanted to spend the extra $$ for the upgraded version). The trigger on it is just so much better than the other options IMO.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

Kel-TEC PF9. Fits nicely in your pocket.

(Lehigh County)

The lc9 should be able to be bought within your budget before you sell the Bersa maybe you can keep the bersa I have two I love the bersa's.
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrmm22sr View Post
    The lc9 should be able to be bought within your budget before you sell the Bersa maybe you can keep the bersa I have two I love the bersa's.
    That's what I was thinking but I'd prob still sell the Bersa. I've been wanting a Ruger 10/22 and the Bersa money could go to that.

I'm ok with the Bersa, don't love it, don't hate it.