Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default New Member to Town

Hey all,

I'm a Marine currently deployed (at sea), but will be attending PSU in the fall. While researching PA concealed carry laws and such I came across this site and it seems like a good resource.

I do not currently own any pistols for concealed carry but will definitely be in the market when I come home, so I am open to any recommendations you guys have.

I'll also be looking for apartments in the state college area for my wife and I so if you guys have any (dog friendly) recommendations I will be open to those as well.

Thank you guys, and stay safe.

(Also, not sure what information I'd have that you guys don't, but if you guys have any questions for me I'll do my best to answer as swift as possible.)

(York County)

Default Re: New Member to Town

To begin with, thanks for your service!
    As a PSU alum myself I can make a few living suggestions. I graduated almost 20 years ago, but the ideas are still the same. If you value your privacy and your sleep, stay away from living downtown or in one of the big complexes on north or south atherton. Find a quiet duplex or a house just a little off the beaten path. Find a smaller real estate office and tell them you are a vet. Some have set aside places for grads & vets only to keep them nicer, you may find something like that.
    If you are on Facebook search 'PSU houses'. Give them a call and tell them you are a friend of mine (Jeff O'Brien), a friend of Rob Pileggi's. Rob and I have known each other since HS, and he's an owner in the business. He is a good landlord and takes care of property issues. He also has places more conducive to family life.
    When you are all moved in let me know, I visit State College for work once a month; i'll meet you for lunch and buy you a beer. Any guy on this forum cant be all that bad!
    One final hint, get a cheap mountain bike, you will not regret it!

(Lawrence County)

First off thank you for your service and welcome to PAFOA. Regarding apartments in the State College Area, there is tons of housing to be had but it comes at a premium and alot/all of the housing is geared towards college aged people(19-24). Another major factor is how close to the PSU campus you want to be and how large of an apartment you are looking for. What kind of budget do you have for your monthly rent?

Make sure to also check if parking is free at the apartment complexes you are looking at. If you live in the downtown state college area parking can run upwards of $1000 per year.

If you are willing to drive to campus as opposed to walking reasonable apartments/townhouses can be found in neighboring towns.

I live approximately 3.5 miles from campus, have a 1 bedroom apartments in a place that permits animals (i have yellow lab) and pay $1000/month with utilities included just to give you an idea.

If you have any other questions let me know.

(Centre County)

Thank you both, I really appreciate the quick feedback.

If I wind up using my GI Bill I'll be making 1k a month for living allowances. I'd like to stay somewhat close to campus seeing as I don't want a long commute in my pickup and I'm pretty scarred from Southern California traffic.

I'm not totally opposed to a college-like area, if its safe and reasonable. My wife and I are both 21 so I'm not too far off. The thing is, neither of us are really partiers so a nice quiet place would be appreciated.

Also, how is the job market in the area? My wife is graduating college this year with a double major in Business in German, any job prospects/companies she should be looking at? I was thinking the airport or Raytheon.

Again, thank you guys. You all seem like a great bunch and can't wait to meet up and grab a cold brew or blow some targets away (just not at the same time).

(Lawrence County)

Job market in state college is relatively good. Im currently a senior and already have full time job waiting for me in May upon graduation in State college. Due to the University the area is constantly growing/expanding. Im not too sure about the job market specifically for a business/German degree as im an engineer student.

(Centre County)

First welcome and thank you! I am also a PSU grad. There are pretty good bus routes here (catabus.com) and that is something to consider to be able to live a little further away from downtown to find a more reasonable rent plus the buses have bike racks on them! I live near the little town of Pine Grove Mills about 5 miles from campus, and a friend owns some apartments there, but I'm not sure of price or pets. It is on the bus routes. I can give you his contact info if you want.

(Bucks County)

Welcome and thank you for your service!!!

Best of luck!

(Centre County)

Well if you're just starting out, and wouldn't mind living in a trailer court, you should check out Continental Courts on Maple Drive in Bellefonte. It's a nice quiet neighborhood, and only about 10 to 15 minutes from campus/downtown. It's actually about 5 miles from Bellefonte (proper), and closer to Fillmore. They rent spaces and sell trailers. Not far from University Park Airport as well. Convenient location and cheaper than living downtown. I have no affiliation with them, nor do I live there. I have a relative who used to live there, and liked it. That's about all I know. Good luck.

http://www.continentalcourts.com/?home

(Centre County)

Welcome to one of the best forums for guns. Thank you for serving your country, it's guys like you that help to keep America strong.

You can also check with the realtors and rental management offices for places in Lemont. Only a few miles from the middle of the campus, a nice quiet place. Don't worry about the traffic in the area, not bad at all (except for football weekends and Arts Fest in the summer). If you've driven in CA, you won't have any problems here.

I'm going to try not to toot my own horn but I seem to a local enabler (doing low cost transfers) for guys buying guns from on line. I run a small gunsmith shop out of my home and I host a sporting goods only garage sale twice a year. I also have get togethers every now and then at the house for local gun "nuts" (we did a mass AR-15 build one year, I let people use the tools they needed but did not have, we had a show and tell of all different kinds of guns and I did some classes on reloading for people looking to get int that).

Plus I'm retired USAF so I can talk military subjects also.

Watch your six and come back safe. Will be glad to meet you.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; February 4th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

You stumbled across the right site and the right area if you enjoy the outdoors with accessibility to the most major east coast cities within a 4 hour drive. Folks covered housing and transportation pretty good. Raytheon is a good bet as is PSU, AccuWeather, Minitab, Restek, etc. Check out the Centre Daily Times (local paper) career builder for job listings as well as craigslist.

As for concealed carry, its not permitted on campus, so beware of that. As for carry recommendations, you'll find quite varying degree even in the community here. Quite a few factors involved and you'll likely try a few options before settling in on one. I'd start with consideration of what you are currently issued and if you're comfortable with it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast