Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Sportsman's Permit Question and some hunting info

Hello all - all of the posts I can find on the internet specifically regard usage of a handgun. My question is simply about a rifle. Do I need a Sportsman's permit to carry my unloaded rifle in a locked car trunk from my home to a state gameland? The wording of the law seems so. I know that the rifle must not be semi-automatic, and not loaded while in the vehicle. (in this case, i'm referring to a bolt-action 22 LR for squirrel).

FYI - I am a NON-Resident of PA, I am from NJ.

It seems to me from the wording of the law, that to hunt squirrel next fall (my first time ever hunting), I will need to:

- go through the PA Safety Course (already read the information online and hope to schedule a class or officially sign up for the online study program depending on scheduling)

- Get a PA Hunting license (annual)

- Get a Sportsman's Permit in order to carry my gun around while hunting (I am hoping this is part of the hunting license application process) / transport it to State Gamelands

Are those 3 items correct?

As an aside, the only other permitting item I need to concern myself with beyond a hunting license and a sportsman's permit would be to obtain a Florida concealed carry permit (can't get a PA non-resident as I can't get an NJ one).

Any person carrying a firearm "in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person" is required to have a license to carry or a Sportsman's Firearm Permit (good only for hunting and fishing).

Exceptions: No license is required:

to carry a firearm in one's home or fixed place of business.
    when engaged in target shooting or while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, so long as the firearm is unloaded and the ammunition is carried in a separate container.
    for law enforcement personnel, including: policemen, jail wardens, sheriffs and their deputies.
    to carry an unloaded and wrapped firearm from place of purchase to one's home or place of business, to or from a place of repair, "or in moving from one place of abode or business to another."
    to carry while hunting or fishing or going to the place of hunting or fishing, provided one has a hunting or fishing license and a Sportsman's Firearm Permit. This one confuses me, how is having a sportsman's firearm permit an EXCEPTION to the need to have a sportsman's firearm permit??

The Sportsman's Firearm Permit is valid only for sporting purposes and does not authorize the carrying of a loaded handgun in a vehicle. It is obtained by applying to the county treasurer. The applicant must present his hunting or fishing license and pay a fee of $6.00. The permit is valid for five years, but must be carried with a valid hunting or fishing license.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Sportsman's Permit Question and some hunting info

1) Nothing is needed to transport an unloaded rifle anywhere.

2) You can't hunt squirrels with a semi-auto, but there is no restrictions about transporting one.

3) Yes, you have to take the hunter safety course first, before applying for a hunting license, unless you already have a hunting license from another state.

4) The Sportsman's Permit applies to carrying handguns (firearms by definition in that section) and has nothing to do with carrying weapons other than firearms.

(Lawrence County)

Sportsmans permits are only needed for handguns, not rifles or shotguns. It's based on what definition of "firearm" applies to that section, the general definition of a firearm is:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less
    than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18
    inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or
    any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of
    less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be
    determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the
    face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is
    applicable.

A shotgun or rifle shorter than those dimensions is a NFA item. Definitions for other sections of the laws state something to the effect of anything capable of expelling a projectile by an explosion or something like that. I don't feel like looking it up to be exact because it doesn't matter in your case.

(Bucks County)

You can take the NJ hunter safety class and PA will honor it. The DCNR has a small CD w/ the NJ home study course. The regional Fish & Game office inside Assunpink WMA had them in the lobby

There are a couple NJ gunshops that sell the PA hunting license too. The gunshop that was split from Harry's Army & Navy is one.

Get your NJ FOID card to purchase your 22 rifle and that will also CYA while driving in NJ on your way to hunt in PA.

Even if you wanted to purchase a 22 in PA you would need the FOID if you can find a PA FFL willing to sell to you as they have to follow the requirements of NJ [FOID] to sell you a long arm just like you would need the NJ Permit to Purchase once you go shopping for a handgun.