Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Stoeger Cougar 8045?

So, I own a beretta, and I absolutely love it. So I want to pick up a 45, and I feel like I really like the Stoegers (which I hear is the same thing as the beretta cougars). So, any thing anyone can tell me of experience with these guns, good/bad experiences, good alternative choices, etc etc?
    Shoulda' bought a Hi-Point

Default Re: Stoeger Cougar 8045?

I'll give you personal experience when I pick mine up tonight. Then I'll give you a range report this weekend when I get to fire it. Never fired a .45ACP so it will be fun.

However I have been researching them a lot in the past week and this is what I have found.

Beretta stopped production of the Cougar models. They shipped the machinery and Cougar plans to Stoeger in Turkey. So they are made on the same exact machinery as the Beretta Cougars were. They are just now made in Turkey for a considerably less and more attractive price point.

"Marketing and distribution of the Cougar has been transferred to Stoeger Industries, a subsidiary of Beretta.[3] The firearms are made in Turkey, using Beretta factory tooling. Stoeger now produces Cougars in 9×19mm, .45 ACP, and .40 S&W. Stoeger recently added a more compact-sized Cougar pistol to their production line, currently available in 9×19mm only. The Cougar Compact has a reduced magazine capacity of 13 rounds and MSRP is US$50 less than its full-size counterpart."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_8000

For all intensive purposes they are the same guns and most if not all parts can be interchangeable. Correct me someone if I am wrong.

I have not seen a bad review yet for the Stoeger Cougar 8045. Other then it is heavy and I think the corners of the rail are sharp.

I have found it hard to locate a holster if you would plan to carry it in any fashion. As the Stoeger Cougar 8045 has a light rail and the Beretta Cougar in .45ACP didn't. Thusly why the Crossbreed holster for the Beretta Cougar wont fit. I e-mailed them and asked.

I have found the following parts for them though. Grips & Night Sights. I found magazines, but everyone is sold out of them right now. So make sure you get at least two mags with the deal.
    Last edited by PA1936MN; February 4th, 2013 at 09:23 AM.

(Elk County)

I had a Beretta Cougar in 45 ACP and it devoured everything that I loaded in it. I found a number of magazines for it at a gun shop in a used mag box, for $10 each.

The rotating barrel locking system (search: Josef Nickl) was extremely reliable, but I recommend that you keep a very light coating of grease like Weapon Shield on the rotation cam and the slots in the barrel.

The accuracy was minute of clay bird at 25 yards. Yes, yards.

My only compliant with the Cougar as time went on was that it is BULKY and somewhat top-heavy. I found it harder to conceal than other handguns I use for CC, and as a result it didn't get as much play time as it did when I first bought it and put it through its paces. I have other handguns in 45 ACP which I ended up preferring more than the Cougar, so I sent it along to its next owner.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

So far this is my personal opinion on the one I picked up in a trade.

This is a very sturdy pistol. It is heavy but not too bad for target practice. As for carrying. I feel a shoulder holster best fits it for carry. Sight accuisition is nice and easy. Fit and finish are nice. The grip is fat.

Range report this weekend.
    Last edited by PA1936MN; February 5th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Owned one and had great experience with the Stoeger Couga 8045, accurate, easy to control, good fit and finish all the way around. Might want to improve the sights (current 3-dot) and replace stock grips with wood grips but otherwise would not change a thing. It is heavy and wide for concealed carry though and holsters can be hard to find. Good luck, you won't be disappionted.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl4034 View Post
    Owned one and had great experience with the Stoeger Couga 8045, accurate, easy to control, good fit and finish all the way around. Might want to improve the sights (current 3-dot) and replace stock grips with wood grips but otherwise would not change a thing. It is heavy and wide for concealed carry though and holsters can be hard to find. Good luck, you won't be disappionted.
    Grips are easily found for the Beretta Cougar 8045 which will fit the Stoeger. And I found night sights as well.

(Allegheny County)

When I posted this, I already knew it wouldn't take much convincing, but already after these couple replies, I think I'm gonna pick one up first chance I get. Thanx guys, an PA, let me know how it handles at the range, Im anxious to hear it.
    Shoulda' bought a Hi-Point

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    Grips are easily found for the Beretta Cougar 8045 which will fit the Stoeger. And I found night sights as well.
    Parts are easily found, it's finding a competent gunsmith that's willing to install new sights on a Cougar that's very challenging. The Cougar sights are pressed in extremely tightly and even need to be milled out in some cases. Gunsmiths not familiar with the Cougar will frequently damage the slide while trying to remove them, particularly the front one. (I've seen far too many "after" photos that made me want to cry) Even seasoned Beretta greats like Dave Olhasso won't touch Cougar sights. It took me quite a bit of research to track down a shop with a good Cougar track record that was willing to take on the job, and they just so happen to be in PA:

http://alleghenygunworks.com/index.p...vices-packages

OP: I owned an 8040, and it was awesome. They're good guns.