Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a S&W revolver - Why no all steel revolvers with hammer?

Hoping I can get some help here. I was looking through Smith & Wesson's site today for a CCW and it looks like they refreshed their revolver lineup and removed some of their models from the site that I was looking at a couple months ago.

What I'm looking for is a Smith & Wesson J-frame revolver in .38 Special with the following:

1) Steel frame
    2) Steel cylinder/barrel
    3) Exposed hammer (not shrouded)
    4) NOT a Model 60

It seems that S&W doesn't offer the combination on their site, unless I'm missing something?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking for a S&W revolver - Why no all steel revolvers with hammer?

Judging by your criteria, sounds like you're looking for a model 36. I think they still make them new, but they made a ton of them over the years and you should be able to find a nice used one for $350-400 or so.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Looking for a S&W revolver - Why no all steel revolvers with hammer?

The model 36 is still available in either blue or nickel.

Thanks for the info. I guess what I'm looking for is essentially a Model 60, but without the extended hand grip.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Question: The ideal revolver I am looking for is a Model 640 (see link below) but with a hammer:

Product: Model 640

What S&W revolver would that be - a Model 640 with a hammer?

(Beaver County)

Was just wondering. What about an older Dan Wesson with a 2" barrel.
    Something like this but in blued. Not the crazy inflated SS DW prices.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=326434852
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Honestly, I didn't know Dan Wesson made revolvers... how do they stack up against S&W in regards to quality, reliability and dependability?

(Beaver County)

Dan Wesson was started by the grandson of the founding S&W. They were made as a premium gun. Think S&W performance center nowadays. The origanals made in Monson, Mass were pretty bad ass. They featured interchangeable barrels to go from 2" to 15". All on the same gun. They are closer to a collectors piece now days but most good blued ones can be had for under 400. I buy everyone I can get my hands on. There is a great forum dedicated to DW's. The guns have one of the best triggers out of the box for any factory gun. Simple internal mechanics and easy to repair with a simple side plate removal.

Now mind you I am a DW buff and hold them in high regard so my opinion is a bit slighted. I'm sure some of the older members here remember them. You want to buy ones made from '75ish to the mid eighties. Again Monson, Mass is the key. Later production guns were just not as good. Think Marlin after Rem bought them hehe. The model your looking for is a 15-2. That's a 357 with adj sights, all steel, exposed hammer. Plus Houge makes a bunch of grips. Browse some in GB and check em out. Extra barrels are about 150-400 depending on what ya want for origanals. You can even spend up to 1k for the rare 15" one. There is also a great aftermarket barrel and shroud made for about half the price and just as good. If you were closer to my side if the state is let you shoot mine. My 2 beater DW's ran me about 350 each. Ones a 4" and the other is a 6". I even bought a spare 6" barrel on this forum for 175.

Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; February 4th, 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    My 2 beater DW's ran me about 350 each. Ones a 4" and the other is a 6". I even bought a spare 6" barrel on this forum for 175.

Good luck in your search.
    Would you mind linking the DW site you mentioned earlier? Also, can you show some examples of the DW revolvers you have (maybe a pic or two?) =D

(Beaver County)

Sure. Here's the DW forum.

http://www.danwessonforum.com/

Here's a thread on one of my safe queen DW's

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...istol-pac.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast