Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Can't be a beer snob every day...

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    It is true that canned beer revolutionized the market, back in the 1800's. That is what lead to the big national brands if you follow the history. Before cans local taverns, much like the brewpubs of today, and regional breweries who could have bottles returned, were what you had. I have never heard of the term 'shelf turds' so I must admit you are in the lead when it comes to being a beer snob, I bow in your presence. My uncle used to be a milkman, and I can remember buying non-homogenized milk where the cream would separate out to the top. I do not click on links I cannot identify, so I regret you did not provide a direct link, but I am glad you found your beer nirvana. If I should wander into that area, I will have to check it out.

Is it still true that bottled/canned beer is pasteurized and draft is not, or is that just history that I have wrong?
    Some is some is not. The process is different for canned and bottle vs. draft. A flash pasturizer is used in line with the machine that fills kegs. The can or bottle is filed then ran through a pasturizer.

Some products such as soda still runs through but not pasturizer.

I am now at the brewery almost six years and learn something every day

This place once made it's own kegs. There is a story that one guy made the kegs. Everyday he brought his son to work. The father died suddenly when the boy was about 12. These were the days before child labor laws. So the son took over making the kegs at 12 years old. He worked there until he retired.

I do not believe the beer in the wooden kegs were pasturizer.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

I have never heard of the term 'shelf turds' so I must admit you are in the lead when it comes to being a beer snob, I bow in your presence.
    In your area, my recommendation would be Funk Brewing of Emmaus. http://www.funkbrewing.com/

I haven't been to Bonn Place personally but next time I am in the Lehigh Valley, I would definitely check out what they're doing http://www.bonnbrewing.com/

All snobbery aside, I have more beer than I can drink & happily donate cans to help others see the light.

As for Boston Brewing, I think their Oktoberfest is the cream of the crop, because it is the kind of beer I favor, more malt, less hoppy. I know a gal who is into hoppy beers, and loves various IPAs, so to each their own.
    I bought a case of that swill one time. Couldn't give it away. For almost a year , I used it for sauerkraut.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Cumberland County)

I'm not a Sam Adams fan but had to try the new '76. All over tv advertised as a lager/ale. It's actually pretty darn good. Has a unique taste - not hoppy, not bitter. I like it !
    And my new favorite little gun from gun show today. Really like the little nickel H&R

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

Voo Doo Ranger IPA tonight.

(Cumberland County)

IPA's - yuk. Most popular and everywhere but just don't like the bitterness.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Last edited by cruzans; February 24th, 2018 at 09:18 PM.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    IPA's - yuk. Most popular and everywhere but just don't like the bitterness.
    I love them, have a hard time drinking anything else.
    Problem is the cost. I have no idea why a six pack is 15bucks
    I know its cheaper by the case, but, really?
    I may switch to a good pale ale.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I really like this one!

most beer gardens are full of awful, aging IPAs just waiting for the uninformed to take them home & ruin their opinion of the style as a whole.

as a rule, bad beer comes in 6 packs & better beer comes in 4 packs. if there is no date on it & you aren't buying directly from the brewer, buy something else. anything else.

we are fortunate to live in the mid atlantic area where the best IPAs are being made, typically the style is known as a new england IPA.

they pour hazy & you can still taste the hop profile without it being too over the top, unlike west coast IPAs which try to blow your head off with hop ridiculousness.

(Lackawanna County)

Sip through a Dogfish Head 120. I got a 4 pack for $36. I consider that a steal. The rest will gracefully age, until an appropriate time.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970 LastLast