Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Looking for a 6 or 7 shot snub nose

Hello,

Like the title says, I am looking for a 6 or 7 shot 357 snub nose revolver. Right now my EDC is a Ruger sp 101 in 38 special ( Which I love). But, I would like to add a little more power and capacity if possible. I see 5 shot 357's all the time but am having trouble finding a six or seven round model. I know taurus makes one but am leaning more towards a ruger or smithy. If someone could help me out with a model you know of it would be appreciated. If you have any experience with said model a review would be great. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

Bob G

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Looking for a 6 or 7 shot snub nose

I've always questioned the thought process of wanting a 357mag in snub nose form. Add in the desire for more capacity and you are really straying away from the whole snub nose idea. Had you asked for advice on a 4"barreled 357mag with 7shot capacity, then I would understand and the choices would be many. A snub nosed revolver is normally a small, concealable gun for up-close self defense, usually 5-shot capacity, typically being 38spl(a more than capable caliber for stopping 2-legged threats with center mass shot placement).
    357mag in snub nosed revolvers is "unpleasant" to say the least to fire one round, let alone 7. My suggestion to you is rent one at an indoor range and fire off a cylinder full. What I really want is to suggest firing w/o ear protection to simulate what it would be like firing in an indoor situation which you probably won't have ear protection on when you actually used in life/death situation, but that would not be a smart suggestion. Even outdoors WITH ear protection you will see how difficult it is to land any on target in quick order.
    That Ruger you have is the best bang for your buck with the extra weight it has.

(Lancaster County)

I have a 2" Colt Lawman that is sturdy enough to be tolerable ( even fun at times ) shooting .357s but is a bit heavy for regular everyday carry...

They're out there, but they're not cheap...

Quality rarely is.

(Luzerne County)

I have a Taurus 617 with Hogue's grips, and the grips go a long way in helping control muzzle jump with full-house .357 loads. It's amazing how adding your pinky finger to the grip increases your ability to control the beast.

(Westmoreland County)

Look for an older S&W model 19 or its stainless version, the model 66. Six shot, K frame with a 2.5" barrel.

I would also recommend the older Ruger Speed six. A very solid gun. Sorry, I don't have a picture of one.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a 7 shot 686 with a 2 1/2 in barrel and i love it. It is a little heavy but that helps with recoil .It has nice grips and is fun to shoot not like shooting a j frame.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bill w View Post
    I have a 7 shot 686 with a 2 1/2 in barrel and i love it. It is a little heavy but that helps with recoil .It has nice grips and is fun to shoot not like shooting a j frame.
    Yep, another good option. Mine is only a six shot. These are not too difficult to find. They are a bit heavier than a K frame though.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    I've always questioned the thought process of wanting a 357mag in snub nose form. Add in the desire for more capacity and you are really straying away from the whole snub nose idea. Had you asked for advice on a 4"barreled 357mag with 7shot capacity, then I would understand and the choices would be many. A snub nosed revolver is normally a small, concealable gun for up-close self defense, usually 5-shot capacity, typically being 38spl(a more than capable caliber for stopping 2-legged threats with center mass shot placement).
    357mag in snub nosed revolvers is "unpleasant" to say the least to fire one round, let alone 7. My suggestion to you is rent one at an indoor range and fire off a cylinder full. What I really want is to suggest firing w/o ear protection to simulate what it would be like firing in an indoor situation which you probably won't have ear protection on when you actually used in life/death situation, but that would not be a smart suggestion. Even outdoors WITH ear protection you will see how difficult it is to land any on target in quick order.
    That Ruger you have is the best bang for your buck with the extra weight it has.
    I agree with this^^^post.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Lancaster County)

Ruger GP100 with three inch barrel. There were a couple bouncing around in the classifieds here.

(Butler County)

I bought a GP100 with the three inch barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast