Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Sig 1911 Scorpion or Springfield RO?

Looking to get my first 1911. Choices are Sig 1911 Scorpion or Springfield Range Officer. The Sig is about 900 bucks while the RO closer to 750. I've dealt with Springfield customer service for warranty-related issues several times for my M1A, XD, and even an HS2000 and those guys were the tits, although to be fair, I shouldn't have had to contact them in the first place. Regardless, they always took care of me and lived up to the SA CS reputation.

OTOH, I hear mixed reviews about the SIG Scorpions and their CS. Some good, some bad. The bad stuff includes reports of feed ramps not being polished, burs, lousy CS, etc etc. I like the Sig in terms of appearance, but I don't want problems down the road and end up with a 900 dollar paper weight. I've never owned a 1911, or a SIG for that matter so I really am in the dark with this choice.

Help me make a decision please!
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Sig 1911 Scorpion or Springfield RO?

A friend here bought the Scorpion, and after fondling it and shooting it, made me want one. Since he already had the Scorpion, I chose instead to get the black Nitron finish twin called the Extreme.

The furthest and least accurate description would be paperweight, so you can forget that. Aside from finding the best recipe for feeding of reloads, it is the most accurate 1911 I've owned to date. Prior 1911's were a RIA Tactical and Springfield Loaded.

If you do a lot of research on both, the answer should be easy for you. If you want an inexpensive 1911 with a rail, get a RIA or a Taurus. There are too many little nit picking things going on with the Sig for me to spend $1000 (or $900, even) on it when the SA Loaded is the same price. Don't take my word for it, do the research. Of the two you mention, the SA RO. It isn't even a contest.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Pike County)

LOL, so right away the field is divided 50/50. If I had money, I'd buy both and keep the one that worked the best. Unfortunately, I'm just a lowly international civil servant thus my funds are limited.

Any other input? I suppose at this point, the majority wins.

P.S. @ 300WM - what nitpicks do you have with the Sig? Please share. Your opinion does matter to me.

(Centre County)

Is a light/accessory rail important to you?

I love my scorpion, it is amazing. I only wanted one 1911 so I decided to make it one I'm happy to see every time it comes out of its box. Soon to be father in law, has the R.O. I shot it and like it a lot but wouldn't trade my sig for it and $400. We both bought our guns new. R.O is great for the price point, but I wanted MORE. And he rarely takes out the RO because he also has a trp.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFUG36 View Post
    Is a light/accessory rail important to you?
    Not really. In fact, probably better without one especially when it comes to looking for holsters. The fact that the SIG comes with a rail doesn't detract from it either.

Another question - is the Sig Scorpion slide and frame both stainless? What are the barstock parts and what's MIM?

Perhaps I'm better served saving money and buying an Armscor for cheap to see if the 1911 is something I'd really like... to be honest, I've always been a 9mm guy myself. Carried an M9 in the army; still have an M9 as a civy, but my carry right now is an old HS2000.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazylaser View Post
    I love my scorpion, it is amazing. I only wanted one 1911 so I decided to make it one I'm happy to see every time it comes out of its box. Soon to be father in law, has the R.O. I shot it and like it a lot but wouldn't trade my sig for it and $400. We both bought our guns new. R.O is great for the price point, but I wanted MORE. And he rarely takes out the RO because he also has a trp.
    Thanks for your feedback. Any break-in issues with your Scorpion or did it run 100% out of the box? Have you had to use Sig's warranty in any way? If so, how did that pan out?

(Luzerne County)

Buy the Springfield. If you want a Sig get a 220.

My .02
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    If you do a lot of research on both, the answer should be easy for you. If you want an inexpensive 1911 with a rail, get a RIA or a Taurus. Where in his post does he mention he wants inexpensive 1911 with rail? There are too many little nit picking things going on with the Sig for me to spend $1000 (or $900, even) on it when the SA Loaded is the same price. Like..?? No examples? Don't take my word for it I know I never do, especially since you don't claim to own either or have owned either do the research. Of the two you mention, the SA RO. It isn't even a contest. based on..?? what you hear?
    I would try to find ppl who have owned one or both of your choices for REAL experience and have actually SHOT one or both. Also try and at least fire them before making your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    Perhaps I'm better served saving money and buying an Armscor for cheap to see if the 1911 is something I'd really like... to be honest, I've always been a 9mm guy myself. Carried an M9 in the army; still have an M9 as a civy, but my carry right now is an old HS2000.
    This is something you probably should have mentioned first. I was under the impression you were 1911 experienced enough to narrow it down to two choices. If you have ZERO experience then i would definitely recommend shooting one or two first a few times BEFORE narrowing any choices for buying.
    Last edited by Sparxfly72; February 2nd, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast