Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: WalMart - Winchester White Box problems?

WWB ? Dirty?

Picky, picky. You guys don't know dirt! Now WOLF might be dirty, but,

I've been shooting WWB in 223, 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP for a loooong time, and WWB is no dirtier overall than anything else I shoot, except maybe cast lead which I lubed with (yeah, I know, I know, beat me now and get it over with) an experimental mix of equal weight beeswax and GRAPHITE ! I first had to dampen the graphite with a bit of 10-wt motor oil to get it to disperse in the beeswax. It was one of those thigs that was noised about in the gunshop I hung out in in those days, expanding on an article in one of the then-current gun rags, and I just had to try it.

(Yeah, I shudda known better) I cranked up about six ounces of this gunk, filled up the luber-sizer, and ran off a couple thousand 357's and at least 3 thou of 225 RN 45's. Heck yes, I shot 'em all. Loaded most of them with a stiff charge of Unique, and about 10% with Bullseye at target velocities.

I told my friends - who moved on upwind of me at the firing line, "If I am going to run such an experiment, it deserves a full and fair trial." They may have thought differently, and only one or two were unkind enough to make any remark - within my hearing, anyway. "Stubborn", and "pig-headed" spring to mind, even after all these years.

After every range-sesion, it looked like I was firing black powder. The guns did, I did, and anyone downwind was in for a treat as well. I eventually shot them all off, cleaned the guns, and now look back on an "interesting experiment" that'll never again tempt me to brew my own in an effort to save a buck. At that time, Javelina was selling for $0.59 a stick, and I thought it might be a money-saving option. After the experiment, I bought two dozen sticks of Javelina when the shop closed.

But WWB ? Clean enough for me. It goes BANG when it should, and hits where it is aimed.

Flash

Over a 1000 rounds of WWB through my 5906tsw. Not one problem. However, my pistol is perfectly cleaned and oiled after every trip to the range. A typical trip to the range involves about 50 rounds.

(Philadelphia County)

Never had a problem...but then again, I have a Beretta 92.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Wow....holy thread revival...

Anyway, I went out shooting a few weekends ago, and used some more of the ammo from that WWB box (I pretty much hadn't touched it since my post last year,) and didn't have any problems at all. Maybe my Kahr was just feeling persnickety that day?

Or needed a good cleaning.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    Or needed a good cleaning.
    Funny - I had cleaned it the week before I had problems with the WWB. Last time I went out, it hadn't been cleaned in a while, and I had no problems. Go figure.

(York County)

I had some ftf problems in my AMT backup 45 and S&W 1917 revolver(45acp). AMT fired fine with the hollow points. I'll have to try something else in the revolver before I go running to the gunsmith. Not a single problem with 9mm through my p11.

(Montgomery County)

I have never had a problem with WWB. What about their personal defense rounds JHP? What would be better to carry instead

(Lycoming County)

I've fired thousands of WWB .45 ACP though my Thompson, Colt Defender, and Kimber Gold Match without a hitch.

Wolf works great in the Kimber and Colt, but chews up the Thompson.

A buddy however had a squib load in his 40 that damaged his S&W, and got no satisfaction from Win.

I've never given a lot of thought to the dirt factor, its all cleaner that black powder.
    Jack

(Northampton County)

I've shot probably 10K of WWB in a Glock and a SMG over the past two years and never had a single ammo problem. My glock did jam 3 times in the first 700 rounds, I think twice was Remington and once was WWB. I'm pretty sure it was not ammo related since it hasn't happened in about 5K rounds since through the Glock.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast