Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W 66 no-dash 4" barrel

49 72.06%
  • Ruger SP101 .357 mag 3" barrel

19 27.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default I need some revolver advice fast!

I currently own a S&W 66 no dash with a 4" barrel. This revolver has the stainless rear sight, pinned barrel, and recessed cylinder. I bought it for hunting and putting holes in paper. I took my first deer, an 8 point buck, with it at 15 yards. The deer came up behind me, and I would not have been able to turn my rifle on him from where I was sitting. It is a little too large to conceal. There are rumors that the K-frame Smiths may stretch and wear out if subjected to a lot of .357 mag shooting.

I am going to look at a Ruger SP101 in .357 with a 3" barrel today after work. I am thinking about getting it just so I could start exercising my right to carry without having to wear a heavy jacket. Also, the Ruger is supposedly able to withstand a steady diet of the heavier .357 rounds. I still want to be able use it in up-close and personal hunting situations.

I do not have the money to own two guns that are so similar. If I buy the Ruger I will sell the Smith. Which one do I want?
    Last edited by KeepArms; February 16th, 2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Broken Link

(Bucks County)

Default Re: I need some revolver advice fast!

I have the ruger sp101 2.5-3" barrel(I forget,it's my house gun so I don't see it much) sperless in stainless. it's a solid revolver, the things a tank. you can't go wrong with a ruger. FYI the sp101 357 is only a 5 shot revolver,

I wouldn't do spurless again though..

Good Luck with whichever one you get.
    Last edited by 51158; February 1st, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(York County)

Personally, I would keep the Smith. I would look at finding a 3" barrel for it and maybe change the grips. I'm including an image of what I think is the perfect model 66, configured in a way that meets your needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

The 66 will not "wear out" som much as it will get abused if you feed it a steady diet of 125 grain .357 magnum loads. The 6 o'clock portion of the forcing cone is cut a bit to accomodate the crane, creating the weak point. However, this is not a major problem if you shoot heavier bullets (I really like 140 and 158 grain .357 magnum loads) or limit your 125 grain shooting.

The SP101 is not a hunting revolver, I say this because the sights are terrible. Furthermore, the SP101 weighs just about the same as a 4 inch model 66, yet has terrible sights, holds one less round and has a shorter barrel. The SP101 is a silly revolver, it is small in size yet heavy in weights and does not make for a great compromise in a defensive handgun. If your purpose is stricktly hunting, i would stick with the 66.

The real problem here is your budget or your willingness to sacrifice. A great hunting handgun is not a great defensive handgun, the roles are quite different. The real question is what is more important to you, hunting or defense. I personally would choose defense, letting a buck walk will not ruin my day as badly as having a less effective fighting tool for my own species.

Here is another alternate solution, sell your hunting long arm and buy a hunting handgun. An 8 inch .357 magnum with a robust red dot on it would be a real deer slayer.

I am a Smith and Wesson revolver fan, and I also really dig the performance center guns. I regularly carry a .357 for defense and I am confident with it. I did own an SP101 a few years ago and shot it quite a bit. The one major problem I have with the SP101 is that the trigger will never be like a Smith and that it is heavy. Go and borrow a friends SP101 and decide for yourself. Or, trade your model 66 for a 9mm defensive pistol and take up bow hunting... the options are limitless.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I personally like the Ruger better, but not because I'd be worried about breaking a mod. 66. For protection in the woods, neither would be my first choice and I sure ain't going to hunt with the Ruger. For defense against humans, the Ruger is my choice.
    Last edited by harold63; February 1st, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

I know that the Ruger is only a 5 shot, and that it doesn't have adjustable sights. It will not be a dedicated hunting revolver, and it will only be used at less than 20 yards when I can't move enough to get a nice buck in my scope. I am a minimalist at heart, and I don't see myself buying a dedicated hunting revolver anytime soon.

DClan, I love the 66 that you just posted, and I have thought about that. The problem is that my 66 has a square butt, and it isn't cheap to put a new barrel on a revolver. Plus I do shoot a lot, and I don't want to experience a cracked forcing cone. I think that someone else may enjoy the Smith in its current state.
    Last edited by KeepArms; February 1st, 2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: grammar

(Blair County)

love my ruger

(Schuylkill County)

Why not just practice with 38 special cowboy loads, buffalo makes a 125 gr lead round nose and so do some others. I have older colt revolvers and thats what I shoot in them to avoid damage. Lead cowboy loads are low velocity so you don't have to worry about lead fouling but they do smoke some.

(Allegheny County)

It sounds like I don't need to worry much about the durability of the Smith. It will still never be as concealable as the Ruger. I think I'm starting to lean towards the 5-shot.

(Allegheny County)

They're both good stout handguns. Both reliable and durable.

The SP101 is a great defensive handgun, easy to conceal and though heavy, who cares? Its a magnum.

The S&W66 is smoother, more customizable and also very good gun.

Can you keep them both?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast