Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Home Made DIY Pistol ? Legalities?

Quote Originally Posted by nerys View Post
    Does using parts including the reciever part from other guns (lawfully acquired) count ?

IE can I do what I want to do legally? put a short pistol sized barrely on it and custom make my own pistol style grip for it? so I can switch between rifle and pistol as my mood suits on the range.

is that legal? (again never going to resell or give away or anything like that)

I don't have to file any paperwork or anything like that to stay out of jail :-) hehe
    Sounds like you'll need to SBR it with a $200 tax stamp to me.

If you want a hand held "rifle", make your home made gun fire the 5.7x28mm PDW caliber.

It is possible that you can buy a Henry survival rifle receiver ONLY from Henry, that has never been assembled, and make a handgun out of that. I would seek further legal advice first though.
    Last edited by Valorius; January 31st, 2013 at 01:21 PM.

(Bradford County)

So just to muddy the waters a touch with another question relating to TC Contenders or Encores. Would the TC in question have to be 4473'ed as a pistol so you can use the longer barrels w/ buttstock? I've never owned one, but this question made me think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The only way to make a rifle into a handgun is to get a NFA SBR tax stamp first. ...that is it, no way around it.

TC contenders and Encores have a specific ATF exemption. You can make them a pistol or a rifle without legal hurdles, and convert them back and forth without any legal issues.

(Cambria County)

Buy this....

http://ruger1022receiver.3dcartstore...nish_p_10.html

Build yourself a Ruger Charger type fungun legally and with no paperwork...
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

(Chester County)

unless I am mistaken, it is illegal to POSSESS a zip gun in Pennsylvania, which is what you would be making.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    unless I am mistaken, it is illegal to POSSESS a zip gun in Pennsylvania, which is what you would be making.
    You can legally make a striker fired "zipgun" in PA if you use percusion caps and BP, use of modern cartridges is against the law...

I made my Father a 36 cal cane-gun a few years ago...

Easy to do and 100% legal...
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

A cane gun would be super cool. I would actually not mind getting a modern multi barrel 7 shot cane gun in .22 WMR or something similiar, once i'm older and need such a device.

A single shot .45 ACP would be really cool too.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    A cane gun would be super cool. I would actually not mind getting a modern multi barrel 7 shot cane gun in .22 WMR or something similiar, once i'm older and need such a device.

A single shot .45 ACP would be really cool too.
    Here's the design I went with

http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/CANEGUN/canegun.htm

My buddy made one the same time I built mine, his is a 20 gauge percussion..packs a wallop..

If you can change a tire you can build one of these...

Thanks for the link. I like the 20 ga shotgun idea.

Off topic a bit, but are sword canes legal in Pa?

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Thanks for the link. I like the 20 ga shotgun idea.

Off topic a bit, but are sword canes legal in Pa?
    I don't see them listed...

I think they are in the same category as Brass Knuckles however, legal to own but not carry..

I'm not 100% certain of the legality...

18 Pa.C.S. § 908: Prohibited offensive weapons
    (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.
    (b) Exceptions.--
    (1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. § 5801 et seq.), or that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully.
    (2) This section does not apply to police forensic firearms experts or police forensic firearms laboratories. Also exempt from this section are forensic firearms experts or forensic firearms laboratories operating in the ordinary course of business and engaged in lawful operation who notify in writing, on an annual basis, the chief or head of any police force or police department of a city, and, elsewhere, the sheriff of a county in which they are located, of the possession, type and use of offensive weapons.
    (3) This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    (d) Exemptions.--The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section:
    (1) Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June 18, 1974 (P.L. 359, No. 120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law. [FN1]
    (2) Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (3) Pennsylvania State Police officers.
    (4) Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (5) Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (6) Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.
    (7) Liquor Control Board agents who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast