Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Home Made DIY Pistol ? Legalities?

Quote Originally Posted by nerys View Post
    Ok so to make sure I understand this.

I can legally make my own hand gun. that is legal.

but I can not convert a rifle into a handgun since it would still legally be a rifle and now a "short barrel rifle" and that is an illegal NFA item without a tax stamp.

So there is no way to make it legally a handgun?

if not. I will stay far away from that path :-) hehe
    I'm not an expert, a lawyer or employed by the BATFE, but that is how I understand it. There are others on here much more skilled with this topic.

They will be along soon. Before you do anything, I suggest you have a clear understanding of the law and even reach out to the ATF to obtain guidance.

Try searching this forum too. This topic has been covered in great detail before.

READ THE STICKIES:

http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-title-ii-34/

(Bucks County)

I don't want to go anywhere near NFA so I won't be going forward with this idea (this is why I asked first :-) hehe

I will be sure to read through that thread.

any suggestions on the cheapest/easiest method to making my own handgun legally? and without delving into NFA territory. (prefer 22 since its cheap to shoot :-)

is there a good thread on this already (I did search but there is either no good thread or I am using the wrong search terms :-)

(Delaware County)

I don't want to go anywhere near NFA so I won't be going forward with this idea (this is why I asked first :-) hehe

I will be sure to read through that thread.

any suggestions on the cheapest/easiest method to making my own handgun legally? and without delving into NFA territory. (prefer 22 since its cheap to shoot :-)

is there a good thread on this already (I did search but there is either no good thread or I am using the wrong search terms :-)
    I'm curious......

New member..... ONLY posts are asking how to make a gun

Why not just buy one? Are you a felon? Prohibited?

You're not going to get help form this forum if your intentions are unlawful

(Bucks County)

No none of that. I already have a hand gun. Browning Buckmark 22 and am looking at a mossberg 22 rifle ($150 at last weekends philly gun show) but now that I found the Henry Survival I REALLY want that instead. so may forgo the mossberg and save up for the henry.

I don't like mixing subject matter (politics) but I am very anti registration. its illegal in PA according to our constitution yet the PA courts won't enforce the constitution and that bugs me.

I don't mind background checks they make sense but registration "is" the first step of confiscation. enough on the politics.

SO one of my "projects" is to try and get myself a handgun without registration but also without violating any laws. IE staying legal.

(Delaware County)

I hear ya and agree

Welcome to the site

If you want a handgun that's "effectively" a rifle without a stock and the associated legal poodoo, why not use the Israeli sling method?

(Bucks County)

As others have mentioned you can't legally modify a rifle into a pistol without doing NFA paperwork.

If you want to build a custom .22LR pistol though that is somewhat similar to the Henry Survival Rifle; you can purchase Ruger 10/22 receiver that has never been a rifle and build a pistol out of it. You can even get an 80% 10/22 blank if you want and are able to do some machining and not even have to use an FFL to acquire it.

(Lehigh County)

Sarco has 1911 kits that you can build. I have never built one, so I do not know if anything has to be transferred. I did get a vz61 kit, but had to have the receiver transferred to me (all at sarco).

(Jefferson County)

The only controlled part is the receiver - it is the firearm where assembled or bare.

You can take any "pistol" and use it's parts to make another "pistol" or even a long gun(rifled barrel 16"+ and OAL 26"+ with shoulder stock). However you cannot make a SBR(<16" rifled barrel or OAL <26" with shoulder stock) without first properly acquiring a NFA tax stamp.

You also cannot make a handgun with a long gun receiver that was already assembled as a long gun without first acquiring a NFA tax stamp. A virgin receiver, yes - an already assembled, no.

You can make any non-NFA firearm from scratch, blocks of metal, without any regulations - Note: you cannot make a smooth bore pistol or disguised gun(they are NFA AOW's).

A Henry 22 Survival rifle into a handgun would be illegal, unless you got a NFA SBR tax stamp first. You can use all parts FROM the Henry 22 Survival rifle EXCEPT the receiver to make another gun without a tax stamp. To use the receiver to make a pistol requires NFA paperwork first.
    Last edited by knight0334; January 31st, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Ok so to make sure I understand this.

I can legally make my own hand gun. that is legal.

but I can not convert a rifle into a handgun since it would still legally be a rifle and now a "short barrel rifle" and that is an illegal NFA item without a tax stamp.

So there is no way to make it legally a handgun?

if not. I will stay far away from that path :-) hehe
    The only way to make a rifle into a handgun is to get a NFA SBR tax stamp first. ...that is it, no way around it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast