Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default handloads in carry gun

Is there a thread about this?
    If not what is the law about it?

It seems to me, a factory load will do the same as a reload.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: handloads in carry gun

I do not reload, so I only use store bought, but I recall reading somewhere that a prosecutor could use the handloads as proof that you wanted to kill some one. More powder used, notched projectile making it a dum-dum, yadda yadda. From a mechanical standpoint, I can't see why it would matter, from a Court of Law perspective, it's one more thing the jury will hear.

"Isn't it true, that you hand loaded the bullet that killed Mr. Smith?"

I'll take a pass.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Northampton County)

IANAL, but there isn't a law that prohibits it, so it's legal.

There's a myth that it would be used against you in a self-defense trial... but so could everything else. I'd tend to think the fact that you're carrying a gun would be a better fake reason to prosecute you than using handloads. Or that you once used silhouette targets at the range. Maybe they'll even bring in the fact that an evil person like you once looked at a gun... surely you must have intended to kill someone.

I don't know how old the myth is, but IMHO one of the influences may have been a particular episode of CSI, where someone melted down sterling silver to make a silver bullet that he then used to murder someone. That he went through the process of melting down such a unique metal, and only made one, was what was used to fish for a confession for premeditation.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    I do not reload, so I only use store bought, but I recall reading somewhere that a prosecutor could use the handloads as proof that you wanted to kill some one. More powder used, notched projectile making it a dum-dum, yadda yadda. From a mechanical standpoint, I can't see why it would matter, from a Court of Law perspective, it's one more thing the jury will hear.

"Isn't it true, that you hand loaded the bullet that killed Mr. Smith?"

I'll take a pass.
    That kind of question is intended to sway a jury, and often times it will.

"Isn't it true that you personally bought the bullet that killed Mr. Smith, and put it into the gun that you used to kill him?"

As long as you're using standard reload data with standard reloading components and not some home grown concoction that could be portrayed as "excessive", such as notching the projectile or other modifications, I don't think there should be a major conflict.

The source of the components isn't as important as the reason for using them.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

I use factory bullets, load less than max load ,by lymans 48th edition.

(Berks County)

The problem you can run in to is you could be accused of handloading a round that could do more damage than a factory round or you handloaded a round that was designed to mame a person. I handload also but I carry factory ammo just to be safe.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    The problem you can run in to is you could be accused of handloading a round that could do more damage than a factory round or you handloaded a round that was designed to mame a person. I handload also but I carry factory ammo just to be safe.
    This has been discussed before on this forum and in a few classes I have taken.

The answer was something like. "There has never been a case which the outcome was changed due to the type of ammunition used". This may not be the exact wording but pretty close. I have no researched data to back up this statement.

I have heard trainers say to just use the same ammo as local PD use and there will be no problems.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

There are claims that a DA could use the fact you use reloads to inflame a jury. It's an easy charge to refute.

As well as the loads I put together for Cathy's gun worked today shot, after I've loaded some more to make sure I'm back in practice they may well become her carry load. 115 gr Winchester JHPs over 5 grains of Bullseye (no chronograph but should have been around 1200 fps) using mixed brass went into an inch at 10 yards. That's just not bad.

How would we refute if a DA made a hassle? Those are the rounds we can afford to practice with, which increases safety, they are the most accurate rounds we've shot out of the gun, which increases safety, and they are very similar though less powerful than the rounds carried by many police.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Northampton County)

Excessive force for using a handload? WTF? So, then, using a .32 instead of a .22 would be excessive then? I'd be f***ed for using a .44 magnum, then...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ