Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default ruger speed six ejection rod removal

Is anyone knowlegable on the correct way to remove the ejection rod on the speed six revolver? It does not return after being activated to eject emties.It does return by gravity,so I believe a spring may be broken or never replaced,after hving been reassembled after being re-blackened.I have all of the new sprins and pins.However when I tried to remove the rod it would not easily turn,right or left I no not which is correct.And don't want to break it off. Any experianced advice would be greatly appreciated.It is a 9mm although I don't think that matters.

(York County)

Default Re: ruger speed six ejection rod removal

If you don't get an answer here,try e-mailing Brownell's at their website. They have gun techs that answer questions. Good Luck.

(Adams County)

It simply unscrews. May be gunked up inside or need a small application of oil.

My Security Six is a bit sticky without oil if I forget to put a drop on it.

Sometimes they are hard to unscrew....wrap a washcloth, shirt, rag, etc... around it and use pliers. I have pliers with rubber on the jaws that works well.
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

Thank You for the info I will try Kroil,Then break free.Let it sit for a day then try again.Since I now know, thanks to you I am trying to turn it counter clockwise. I have less fear of breaking it.It's been 15 years since I had it apart,grtting old and forgetfull I guess. Thanks again.

I really appreciated all of your help,and I did try to simply unscrew it unfortunatly that advice was wrong. The ejection rod on the speed six and all of it's revolvers of the same type are left handed threads and don't simply unscrew which would suggest normal right handed threads.Trying to unscrew it as you would any normal bolt or nut could ruin it or damage the ejecter. Be carefull who you listen to even on this fine web site.When in doubt call the manufacturer. I'm glad I waited for a new ejecter rod from Ruger before I put to much muscle on the old one and damaged the ejecter. Thank you.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by CMcKeesport View Post
    I really appreciated all of your help,and I did try to simply unscrew it unfortunatly that advice was wrong. The ejection rod on the speed six and all of it's revolvers of the same type are left handed threads and don't simply unscrew which would suggest normal right handed threads.Trying to unscrew it as you would any normal bolt or nut could ruin it or damage the ejecter. Be carefull who you listen to even on this fine web site.When in doubt call the manufacturer. I'm glad I waited for a new ejecter rod from Ruger before I put to much muscle on the old one and damaged the ejecter. Thank you.

UMMMM......it does simply unscrew.....That information is correct. However, no I did not mention the thread, nor did you ask. I did not advise you to unscrew it like a normal bolt or nut. I thought you were familar with your firearm as you stated you once had it apart.

It is also a bit easier if you put a dowel or pen cap in the cylinder as you turn the rod to the RIGHT (muzzle towards you). That is how we did it at Poway Gun Works. Of course, do this method at your own risk, even though that advise is coming from this fine web site.

EDIT:....I just re-read your post. You sure did ask which way to turn.....I missed that. Sorry.
    Last edited by XUSNORDY; April 13th, 2008 at 09:48 PM.
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”