Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default AK Underfolding Stock Question

New to AK. I have a Yugo M92 pistol, been thinking about SBRing it. Shopping around for under folding stock and notice there are a polish underfolder and a bulgarian underfolder. Is there a different between the two? Will either underfolder stock fit on any AK?

Thanks

Default Re: AK Underfolding Stock Question

Is it a rifle stock? My understanding is that the rear trunnion on the pistol and rifle are different, so it would either take some smithing or other finagling to get it to work.

I could be misinformed though.

(Philadelphia County)

As of now, it's pistol. The rear trunnion does not have pre drill holes for the underfolder stock. I just want to know if I buy either the polish or the bulgarian underfolder, could I drill hole to make it fit and if there are any difference in the two stocks?

(Allegheny County)

Not 100% sure, but from what I've read about the SBR of a PAP vs. Draco, the M92 PAP "pistols" have their S/N in such a location on the rcvr that the install of an U/F trunnion may obliterate the S/N.

And supposedly the re-lo of the S/N to another part of the rcvr is verboten.

Thus from what I have read, the PAP pistol SBRs tend to get S/F stocks.

Just wut I read on the net, so you know I'm right...
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Not 100% sure, but from what I've read about the SBR of a PAP vs. Draco, the M92 PAP "pistols" have their S/N in such a location on the rcvr that the install of an U/F trunnion may obliterate the S/N.

+100

nfafan is correct. If this is the PAP M92 pistol, the SN is in the way of adding an underfolder stock. You are not allowed (by the ATF) to move or touch the SN at all.

You can only add a fixed or side folder stock.

You "could" destroy the receiver by torching it, and have it rebuilt on a different receiver but that's an extreme thing to do. Your better off selling the pistol and buying a virgin kit.

If it's not a PAP pistol, then you can add an UF stock. As for which UF. It depends on the trunnion. Some countries have straight (aligned with receiver/top cover) stocks, while others have some that are angled down. The real M92s have straight stocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(McKean County)

I have a Yugo PAP pistol and you're right, an underfolder would not work because of the serial number...BUT..... another option is an ACE folding stock adapter the you can bolt to the rear of the PAP pistol, then there are many types of folding stocks available for the ACE adapter, no underfolder but a few different side folders are available. I'm one of the lucky ones that have a Draco pistol with the underfolder trunnion already installed! Hope this helps you in some way.

(Bucks County)

There is an argument that by SBRing the pistol you are manufacturing a firearm and therefore can put whatever serial number you want on in. In fact IIRC you do not need to use the original SN for any SBR, people just choose to since you do not need to add extra engraving.

IANAL and there is no case law that I am aware of so I would look into this VERY closely before proceeding.

I'm just gonna use an ACE adapter and skeleton sidefolder stock.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

thanks for bringing this up, I did however read up about this but thought that I would ask in a different thread.

since the issue is here, here's my question.
    The holes that need to be drill is actually not right at the S/N on the rear of the receiver, it's next to it. However, when installing the underfolder, the round pivoting piece will cover the S/N. Is covering the S/N invalid? I'm not destroying it. It's still there just cover up. May I engrave the S/N somewhere else to make it visible while leaving the original S/N undamaged but cover?

Just thinking aloud...but most likely I'll go with a side folding just to avoid trouble.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    There is an argument that by SBRing the pistol you are manufacturing a firearm and therefore can put whatever serial number you want on in. In fact IIRC you do not need to use the original SN for any SBR, people just choose to since you do not need to add extra engraving.

IANAL and there is no case law that I am aware of so I would look into this VERY closely before proceeding.
    There is an ATF letter saying that basically that theory while good, is not the case in their eyes.

You are not manufacturing a new firearm, your manufacturing a SBR from an existing firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Deliemma View Post
    thanks for bringing this up, I did however read up about this but thought that I would ask in a different thread.

since the issue is here, here's my question.
    The holes that need to be drill is actually not right at the S/N on the rear of the receiver, it's next to it. However, when installing the underfolder, the round pivoting piece will cover the S/N. Is covering the S/N invalid? I'm not destroying it. It's still there just cover up. May I engrave the S/N somewhere else to make it visible while leaving the original S/N undamaged but cover?

Just thinking aloud...but most likely I'll go with a side folding just to avoid trouble.
    You can't cover up the SN. You can do all the engraving you want, but the original SN is what matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

write to the atf and ask them for sure, theres alot of speculation but nobody hsa asked them and got a letter to prove it one way or the other. Ive had shotguns with scope mounts that covered the serial number before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast