Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Settled on .45 ACP and proud of it

Howdy folks!

I was tediously shopping for my first handgun for about 6 months swinging back and forth between a good number of ideas, until yesterday...when I simply damned the torpedos and hauled off and bought a Bersa Thunder .45. I don't even have it yet, but I'm expecting it next week. It's being sent up here to PA from GA. I really didn't expect to go for a .45 although I have looked at Bersas more than once. My search for a handgun really heated up over the last 6 months or so. I had considered getting a Charter Bulldog in
    .44 Spl. For awhile I was enamored with the CZ82 and it's parent the Makarov and I still am, but the caliber did leave me tongue-in-cheek after awhile. Now with a possible ban on 10-shot clips looming on the horizon, I also had to consider mag size to be realistic (a brand new gun and then no way to collect magazines??? Now way!) . The CZ82 takes 12-shot mags in spite of it's light-medium cartridge and load. I was also becoming enamored with certain Smith & Wesson semi-autos fashioned after the original 39's and 59's. One of these would likely have been my next choice to the Bersa that I bought, possibly in .40...or even 10mm (which I'm glad I didn't as my first handgun). But I had seen young skinny guys shoot the S&W 1006 on You Tube and I figured if they can, SO CAN I. I'm 190 and 41 years old and a meat-cutter by trade so's I not exactly AFRAID to try a 10mm per se...but common sense tells me not to buy one as my first handgun for several reason. But that's not what my thread is supposed to be about, is it?

I started this thread because I want to hear from people who kind of have a thing for .45 ACP and have settled on it as their main carry or SD solution. I know .45 is a big mutha and most guns worth carrying alot in that caliber don't hold many rounds. But honestly, 7+1 shots of .45 ACP hardly makes me feel undergunned for SD. The more I read about it and the more I see, I am just more and more convinced that I made the right choice for me. Part of my choice was made on the fact that Bersa borrowed a number key traits and features that JUST SO HAPPEN to be found on the other guns I've looked at, including polygonal rifling and the CZ83-type trigger gaurd and S&W 59 sized grip. From there it was like "which Thunder model do I choose"? And then I found myself completely uninterested in the old 9mm vs 40 debate. I just instinctively went after the 45, especially after seeing it in action. For the record I've shot numerous 9's but never a 45.

So, to sum it up, what I want to talk about here is why you too have chosen .45 ACP (or maybe why did you quit it if that's the case!). Thanks! I look forward to hearing some oh-pin-yuns.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Settled on .45 ACP and proud of it

Congratulations on your first gun. I have no experience with your choice but I do own and sometimes carry a FNP -45 15+1. I like it very much, not too much recoil it kind of pushes back instead of the barrel going up. I would suggest some Underwood ammo for your 45. I also own 2 Glock 10mm the 29 and the 20 I have not shot the 20 yet, going to try it out Thurs. the 10 has more recoil than the 45.

Best of luck to you.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Bucks County)

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new purchase. I don't think you will be disappointed in your choice. Lots of folks will whole heartedly support your choice as the 45 is a proven round, Bersa is a great brand, and there is nothing like a large caliber to put a smile on your face at the range! Over the years I have had different calibers that were my interest at the time and they all have their pros and cons. I am currently shooting 45 myself by way of Glock. It's funny but I never really appreciated it until I started shooting 45 ACP, but a 45 standard FMJ is twice the size and weight of a 9mm standard FMJ (230 gr. vs 115 gr). That's a lot of lead!

However, don't be surprised if you find yourself looking at other handguns and even different calibers as time goes on.

Post a range report when you take 'er out for the first time.

(Lancaster County)

i love 1911s and .45 kinda came with the deal, i like the recoil characteristics of it and its easy as could be to reload for. as for the bersa brand, i used to have a firestorm(rebranded bersa importer a few years ago, not sure if still are around) thunder .45 compact and i absolutely loved that gun. the only reason i dont have it now is a coworker offered me enough money that id been an idiot not to do it. ireally gotta get on finding another one. great choice for a first gun, inexpensive and still fairly high quality. youll like it.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

(Wayne County)

You'll love the .45. I got off and hopped on the 9 train. Was getting expensive to feed at the rate I like to shoot pistol. I'll own another .45 for sure. Good luck with yours
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Lancaster County)

Congrats on your first pistol. I have a P220 on the way myself so I can finally see what all this 45 hype is about. I'm sure you will enjoy your Bersa. I haven't shot one myself but I've heard good things.

(Centre County)

Most pistols can shoot cast bullets in 45ACP. That saves a lot of money. I always like a 200 grain SWC going about 800fps. Easy to find the ejected brass, and pleasant to shoot. In the winter I shoot a SW Model 25 so I don't need to pick up brass. Certainly the 1911 is a great choice for this cartridge. I hear the Glock won't shoot cast bullets due to the rifling.

(Philadelphia County)

I have the Bersa Thunder .380 and it's my favorite carry piece. I favor it over a lot of my more expensive pistols. It's a great little gun for not a lot of money. It's easy to carry, easy to clean, and a decent shooter to boot! Hope you have as much luck with the .45!

(Butler County)

Wow, thanks for all the positive replies! I'm going to have to search for a good local range, but yes, I will post a report when I get the chance. I've already looked into ammo prices, and while they are obviously a little pricey, that's not enough to deter me yet. I'll probably buy a box or two of JHP's from the FFL who is tranferring the Bersa for me, just to have on hand. But soon I'll be grabbing a case of FMJ's for the range from an online source.

I agree with what someone on here said, that I will probably want other guns eventually. No doubt! Right now it's a toss-up as far as where I will go with that. Depending on how I like the Bersa, I may opt for something better for deep concealment...maybe the Makarov...or maybe the smallest 9x19 I can comfortably carry. I'm not sure I'd want a 380 but it's not out of the question if it's truly hi-cap (but subsequently not illegal by the time I buy it). If I'm fully satisfied with the Bersa for everyday carry, I may opt for something more accurate and higher velocity than a 45 and just a get a gun with a longer barrel. I'm talking 357, possibly, or even 327. I do want to own a revolver eventually. WHATEVER! For now I'm going to sit back and get to know my .45 before letting myself get G.A.S. for new guns to try. I'M ON A BUDGET HERE!

So. What are some of the other merits of the 45ACP over other calibers? Does the almost subsonic speed ever turn any of you off? No doubt it's one of the most effective calibers for up-close and personal SD. Anybody have any longer range experience with it?

(Luzerne County)

My only complaint with the 45 is that it is expensive to feed. Otherwise it is a great cartridge and a joy to shoot.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast