Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Unhappy Glock 23 mags jamming

Was at the range today, shooting factory Remington UMC 180 gr. FMJ out of my G23. I used the only mags I have for it, which are the 3 factory mags that came with it. Every mag I shot through (about 6 times total), the last round always got caught up and jammed right before chambering. Is this a magazine problem or an ammo problem? I'm thinking it's a magazine problem, which is quite frustrating seeing as I just recently got them with the gun and they all seemed to do the same thing every time today. Anyone else have a problem with these?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Glock 23 mags jamming

Rem UMC has been known to be a light load in the 9mm variant. Do you drop your mags on the ground when changing? When was the last time you stripped the mags and cleaned them out to make sure there is no fowling in them. I've never personally had this issue with any of the glocks I own (including a 23), might want to try some different ammos and swap out mags if you have any friends who have a 23 also to see if you can ID a specific problem. Also, when you say the last round gets jammed, what happens? double feed? faliure to feed? maybe even some sort of stove pipe?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Montgomery County)

If I had three mags causing the same malfunction and the ammo was feeding well except for the last round I would first look to the gun as the problem. How old is the pistol and how many rounds through it and the mags?

(York County)

In my experience, of different Glocks the 23 is most prone to FTF. You didn't give us a whole lot to go on though. You're going to have to trouble shoot through it to find the cause.

1) Is this a new gun
    2) If it's not new has it happened before
    3) Have you used that ammo successfully before
    4) Is it happening with all the mags (number them!)
    5) What's the jam look like? Nose down into the bottom of the feed ramp, nose up into the barrel hood or something else?

(Berks County)

Sorry I didn't give more info. It fails to feed with the nose facing upward. I just bought the gun brand new back in December. I probably have close to 750 rounds through it by now. The ammo I was shooting with yesterday was the Remington. However it seemed to be jamming more so with the factory ammo, and not so much with the reloads I was putting through it. I never drop my mags on the ground when reloading, and no I have not stripped down the mags and cleaned them yet. Hoping that's not the issue since they're not that old and they're factory mags.

I'm going to try again soon with some more hand loads, seeing as that's what I will mainly be shooting through all my pistols from now on. Gunna give it a good cleaning today, maybe strip the mag down if possible and clean that too. Sorry I forgot to take a pic of the jam when it happened.

(Montgomery County)

Try a different brand of ammunition before you do anything else. There are times when factories produce bad batches of ammo. Clean both the pistol and one of the mags and run some American Eagle through it. Some guns just don't like some ammo.

(Chester County)

About a year ago with my G22 I had a squib/double feed using UMC FJP. Bulged the barrel so bad that the slide wouldn't budge. To Remington's credit they payed for a new barrel (a lone wolf at that) and replaced all the rounds I sent in for testing, free of charge and they even payed for all the shipping. They (the CS lady at Remington) said that their testing showed the rounds weren't up to specs pressure wise, and she also said but didn't say that the green box UMC was having some problems.
    Since then I've used the white box JHP with no issues under the actual Remington name (not UMC although the same company for all purposes). Golden Saber also feeds well and the last time I went out I believe I used PPU, again with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    It fails to feed with the nose facing upward.
    This is indicative of low power cartridges or limp wristing, or both, combined with the slide not going back far enough for the magazine spring to push the round all the way up so the breech will fully pick the round up instead of catching it by the rim and flipping the cartridge so it points straight up. Remedy? Ammo with a little more power (the stuff you are using is shit, I don't use it even if it's free. At 50 yds, one round may hit close to where you aim and the next won't even hit the back board), make sure the mag followers go all the way to the top of the mag and mag springs push them all the way up. If the gun will pick up a round when you hand rack it 10 out of 10 times and you know you're pulling the slide all the way back (sling shot to feed the round), then you either need more powerful ammo or mag springs. It is likely the crap ammo not pushing the slide back far enough.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Luzerne County)

I have personally had problems with UMC in my Glocks. It is the only ammo that they don't seem to like.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Berks County)

Thanks guys. I have since stripped down my mags and cleaned them along with my Glock. From now on I'll either be shooting hand loads or different brand factory ammo. I hope to get out to the range again soon to see if I have better luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast